Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

rough idle wants to die any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rough idle wants to die any ideas

well first off its not the right year for this but then again the whole time working on it wasnt what it should have been as well.

its a 1984 toyota camper but has a toyota celica 22re yes its a fi motor i just did the timing chain on her and it started but runs like poo. wants to die not alot of power and the timing marks are all where they should be heres the thing though it sat for about 4 years with a full tank of gas could a tank of bad gas cause a ruff idle and have it miss i pulled the plugs and they look new any ideas anyone

and long time no see everyone!!!! ive been busy with family and working sorry!!

Old 09-29-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
low coolant will cause it at least it did for 92 Toy's after head gasket replacement until it got burped, bad gas can if it's varnished enough especially if it's 4 years old !!!

make sure you have the spark plug wires on correct and that none of them are crossed up. Easy to do. Myself included. Someone else on here just had that same problem.

you remembered to put the jumper in to set the timing right?
Old 09-29-2010, 06:23 PM

heres the thing theres NO BOX CANT JUMP ITS A VAC DIS its a fi motor but the dizzy has two vac lines going to it and i have it set for it to run unless i have it off a tooth but i dont think so i can check that with in the next few days here though
Old 09-29-2010, 06:29 PM

hmmmm, the only vacuum line you need to the dizzy would be the one in the front closest to the radiator. take the other one off and block it. the one in the back retards timing when cold. You don't need this is it's converted to EFI. as there is no BVSV controlling it like on a carbed truck.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:45 PM

thats what i thought i wasnt sure but the stock firewall plate said 22rec and it now has a 22re from a celaica dont ask how i figured they were differnt but the parts worked
Old 09-29-2010, 06:47 PM

im going to take pictures of it all soon and it ran nice and smooth like this before it got parked in storage then i did the chain and it started and ran ruff im thinking bad gas its a full tank and we tried a bottle of octaboost or what ever it was didnt help
Old 09-29-2010, 06:53 PM

fuel filter as well, maybe that is gummed up too.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If the gas in the tank is four years old, then its bad. It would be a very good idea to drain the tank and put in some fresh gas. Are you running the fuel injection on this motor or is it carbed ?.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 four years squatting without any juice (Those little power supply that plug into cig adapter) to keep memory alive, you will have to do a little dance MOST times to get them up and working. I will look for the details. I think it's just start and let idle & do a little driving & repeat. Keep in mind I said "I Think" Which is I don't know for sure. If I find the one for Toy runner will get back.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:41 PM

yeah cause theres no drain in the tank ill have to empty out the 17 gal tank with the key lol and leave just enough in there to get it to the gas station and yeah the battery has been dead for a wile got a new one and it started but after the timming chain do you think i could have moved the dizzy by one tooth maybe and thats why its running ruff or just cause really bad gas?
Old 10-01-2010, 01:48 PM

it could be, get a timing light on it and check it.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my runner sat for a few years before i got it. had water in the tank which really messed with things during winter would freeze up in the filter, then it didn't work proper in summer either. ran some gas line antifreeze through, some sea foam. helped out a lot. now i got rust mixing in with the fuel, musta been sittin at the bottom of the tank. check the fuel filter. i poured it into a jar, then see if there's water or whatever in it.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
ALAN!!!!! YO, HOMIE!!!!! Good to see you back! I've thought about you off and on all this time........wondered where you'd gotten off to. Now........where's FREAK?!!!!

Get the old fuel out, out, out. There will be water in it, and no doubt the filter is yucky. Particularly if the quality of gas you originally had in there was ethanol type. You said it's fuel injected, but not electronically? IOW's, the distributor is not electronically advanced? Sorry. I'm just not familiar with conversions. Whatever the case, the injectors are going to be sticky.

You know the drill on timing. Just check if the rotor is at 10 o'clock with the crank at 5btdc and the cam is a few hairs before 12o'clock.

BTW, how is it you have no drain on the tank? Is it not a stock/OEM tank or something?
Old 10-03-2010, 07:06 AM

Oh, also, unless I'm mistaken (I haven't read anywhere to the contrary), keep alive memory is only for the diagnostic control system and short term fuel programming. In your situation, the diagnostic memory has been erased, but it's not even relevant here. IOW's, if you had any codes before, they're erased. But, it has nothing to do with what's going on. Short term fuel memory is erased, but that happens whenever you turn off the key, anyway. So, that's moot, as well. The ECU still has it's basic and long term programming intact because it can't be erased by removing the power supply. So, it won't be giving you problems. It's like any computer used at home. The RAM is not erased even in the event of power loss to the home or the power cord is disconnected for a time to service, etc. You're problem is just old fuel related........unless you find any issue with the timing.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:16 AM

hey thook, since it's somewhat related to this post, where is that fuel tank drain supposed to be located on these things?

oh and BTW, better watch out, scuba is on the prowl for people not editing their posts and making back to back ones like yours above. He says it's "post padding" which it is really not. He "tried" laying into me the other day. hahahahahaha.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Jesus Christ...why are you even trying to diagnose this with 4 YEAR OLD GAS!!!!!

For gods sake drain the dang gas. Replace the filter sock on the fuel pump, and replace the fuel filter.

Gas lasts a year. What you have in that tank is basically varnish.

This is basic stuff people.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
hey thook, since it's somewhat related to this post, where is that fuel tank drain supposed to be located on these things?

oh and BTW, better watch out, scuba is on the prowl for people not editing their posts and making back to back ones like yours above. He says it's "post padding" which it is really not. He "tried" laying into me the other day. hahahahahaha.
I'd have to go look under my 4rnr to be exact......it's been a while since I've drained mine. But, once you remove the shield, it's right there on the bottom side. Can't really miss it.

So, what? Is a Scub a moderator now? Scuba can gripe all he wants. I understand why it can be a problem, particularly when someone has three or four in a row that are just one or two sentences and all that. But, you know......if a mod's got a problem with it, they can edit it or PM the poster. Atleast my post has a complete paragraph and has relevance to the topic.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:26 PM

well heres the thing its not a toyota....... well its a long cab toyota pick-up with a toyota celica motor auto trany with ac vac controlled dizzy but heres the kicker, its a camper full built toyota camper no shield on the tank that i can remember and i didnt see a drain plus i dont wanna drop the tank cause i know for a fact the lines will brake and i wont get it back up there lol. i still gotta give my friend a call so i can go back and look at the truck again and take lots of pictures of this thing to show you guys. what i wanna do is pop a fuel line off and run the key on to try draining the tank theres no e1 t1 box under the hood what so ever!!! so with the key is all i can do here. then see if theres a inline filter replace it and give it 5 gals of fresh gas and try running it again

p.s. it sounds like its pinging a lil when i rev the motor from what i can remember lol

pp.ss. thook whats up buddy long time no see ive been good hanging with the family and working on cars left and right!!
Old 10-26-2010, 03:22 PM

i got her all fixed up comw to find out the dizzy was off by one tooth and now runs and idles like a brand new motor...

thanks for all the help from everyone