86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rhino lining the cargo area

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rebelrunner
what do y'all think about rhino lining the cargo area of a 2nd gen 4runner? good or bad idea? how much would this cost to get done the right way?

thanks in advance.
When I worked at Line-X, we had to remove Rhino Liner from truck because the owner hated it. It took 3 of us over 12 hours to remove it. It doesn't harden, it stays rubbery which isn't good if your having tools or supplies in it all the time. When it gets wet it is very slippery and, this guy was a construction worker that had tools in and out of his truck all day. Once it was all removed, over 80% of the bed was all rusted because it wasn't properly put on in the first place. When the owner was given the quote on how much work it will take to repair the bed before we sprayed it, he decided that he was just going to replace the bed and get it sprayed with Line-X after. Just my opinion and little bit of experience.

Oh and just to let you know, you can spray the inside of your 4Runner with Line-X, there is just more prep work needed prior to spraying. It drys in minutes and it doesn't smell when your done.

Last edited by michael1963; 08-15-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:16 PM

So what your saying is Line-X is better than herculiner and rhino? Is it ok for exterior,like the whole truck/4Runner?
Old 08-17-2010, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Matt4Running
So what your saying is Line-X is better than herculiner and rhino? Is it ok for exterior,like the whole truck/4Runner?
I'm saying that it is better than Rhino, I don't know about Herculiner, I've never seen that one. And yes it is ok for the exterior however, when it is sprayed on, it is sprayed in layers. So when it's finished it will be quite heavy if you do the entire truck exterior. We never did the whole truck exterior, but we did do 'rock guard' at the bottom portion of the truck, say 10in wide from just behind the front wheel to rear bumper. It can also be colour matched to what ever colour you want. You would just need the code for them to purchase and then that just gets mixed in when it is sprayed. Just remember, Line-X doesn't stick to anything plastic.

And if you want, you can get what is called Line-X Extra, which is a glossy cavlar coating which will make the finished product look like it is new all the time, but that is also extra $$$ added on.

Many people might not agree with this method because of the price and mostly, you have to get someone else to do it, you just can't 'rattle can' it yourself but, I look at it this way, you get what you pay for. I only wanted to have to do this once and not worry about getting it all scratched up and fading in the sun. Plus the finished product looks freaking great! Just my humble 2 cents worth is all I'm saying buddy.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199.../#post51519857

Here's a thread on it that seems pretty useful.
Hope it helps.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:18 AM

Just adding my 2 cents, I bought my 95 4x4 pickup (pre tacoma) with the rhino liner professionally done. I haven't had any issues... it's just a rough liner in the back of my bed. Stops stuff from sliding around and doesn't show any dings, dents, or scratches. So it looks decent back there too. Not to mention I don't have to worry about rust.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:15 PM

rhino lining first gen.4runner-- what about the back seats?

Originally Posted by deyodragon
Remember the old station wagons our grandparents always had? Remember the hinged metal plate that transversed the cargo area to give a solid covering for the gap that the seat created when it was folded down? The back of the seats were metal too. Hell, the sides were even metal in the older ones. I'm planning on re-creating the rear area of my grandpa's 60's buick station wagon in my 1st gen!
Hey, I saw your pics of the runner. Looks good- did you end up lining the cargo area and if so, what did you do about the folding back seats??

Thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by rebelrunner
what do y'all think about rhino lining the cargo area of a 2nd gen 4runner? good or bad idea? how much would this cost to get done the right way?

thanks in advance.
I thought Line X was good (but $$$) but that was before I heard about this stuff which can save you some money. My cousin who's been doing collision work/auto painting forever told me about Magnet Paint's "Chassis Saver." They now have a DIY bed liner called Monstaliner which can be found here. I have never used Chassis Saver nor have I used Monstaliner but I ordered some Monstaliner samples because I am doing body work to my 94 so my cuz can paint it. Been grinding off rust and using rust converter before I Bondo the holes. What's cool about this stuff is you can order it tintable in the color you pick from the site. Check it out. I am going to be using it this year before winter so I will post up pics and give my thoughts on it. I have used Durabak before which is not that great or durable, it's like basically Herculiner. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:44 PM

dupoint with kevlar in 91 pickup?

i recently bought my 91 yota off of cl quickly found out the PO wasnt the smartes guy out their. long story short i have a leek from what seems to be coming from the floor pan? i desided to scrap the carpet and am going to do a bed liner inside my truck has anyone used dupoint with kevlar how does it look? does it last and my last question is how is the noise inside?