Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Replacing 3.0 valve cover gaskets. What else?

Old 02-28-2019, 11:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replacing 3.0 valve cover gaskets. What else?

I need to replace the gaskets soon and I'm wondering what else I should do while I'm in there since I don't know all the history of the vehicle. Timing belt? Water pump?

If I can plan ahead with my bos...I mean my wife, then I can usually get an weekend of garage time uninterrupted. But I better be finished that weekend if I want to drive the truck anytime soon. I've never change a timing belt or valve cover gaskets but I'm sure I could do it. I think. I don't need this to run forever. Just a few years while I save for a 3.4 swap.

This is on an 88 4runner.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:49 AM

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
If you've got it apart enough to replace the valve cover gaskets. Do a valve adjustment.

Good time to change the PCV valve and its grommet and any hardened or cracking small hoses. There's an ordinarily hard to get to U shaped coolant bypass hose at the rear of the intake.plenum

and coolant hoses at the throttle body.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:58 AM

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Absolutely replace the PCV grommet (and valve). At a minimum, check the valve clearances. Adjusting on the 3vze is a little more involved; it requires a special (but not hard to get) tool, and replacement shims.

Replacing the timing belt is a good idea (the "severe" maintenance schedule calls for it to be done every 96,000mi), but doing it the first time could take more than a weekend. (It's not that time-consuming, but as you get into things you may find you need a few trips to the store to replace "stuff.")

Whatever you do, start by making intelligible notes of where all the lines to the plenum go. You don't want to be that guy, asking us to straighten it out for you.

Last edited by scope103; 03-01-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by scope103 View Post
Absolutely replace the PCV grommet (and valve). At a minimum, check the valve clearances. Adjusting on the 3vze is a little more involved; it requires a special (but not hard to get) tool, and replacement shims.

Replacing the timing belt is a good idea (the "severe" maintenance schedule calls for it to be done every 96,000mi), but doing it the first time could take more than a weekend. (It's not that time-consuming, but as you get into things you may find you need a few trips to the store to replace "stuff.")

Whatever you do, start by making intelligible notes of where all the lines to the plenum go. You don't want to be that guy, asking us to straighten it out for you.
Thanks for the tips. Of course after posting it I saw a very similar previous post mentioned. Should have searched more. I was definitely going to do the pcv valve and probably any hoses that are at all difficult to get to with it all put back together.

Timing belt intimidates me, but this isn't my daily driver so I can take my time and learn. Adjusting the valves isn't something I thought of so thanks for suggesting that. And yes, I will be noting EVERYTHING I do because if I don't put it back together that instant then I will for sure forget how it all goes back together.
​​​​​
Old 03-01-2019, 02:53 PM

The timing belt (in my mind) is sort of the dividing line between an oil-changer and dedicated amateur. Start here: http://web.archive.org/web/201204051...67timingbe.pdf

The valve adjustment tool looks like this: https://www.ebay.com/p/Toyota-Lexus-...5121964&chn=ps There are those who say they've swapped shims with just a screwdriver, but I'd be in tears long before I got the first one out. I've never found a reliable source for shims other than a dealer, and many dealers don't "stock" all the sizes you might want. Still, if you're going to skip ADJUSTING the clearance, you should at least MEASURE what you have so you can make a conscious decision about what you're going to do.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by scope103 View Post
The timing belt (in my mind) is sort of the dividing line between an oil-changer and dedicated amateur. Start here: http://web.archive.org/web/201204051...67timingbe.pdf

The valve adjustment tool looks like this: https://www.ebay.com/p/Toyota-Lexus-...5121964&chn=ps There are those who say they've swapped shims with just a screwdriver, but I'd be in tears long before I got the first one out. I've never found a reliable source for shims other than a dealer, and many dealers don't "stock" all the sizes you might want. Still, if you're going to skip ADJUSTING the clearance, you should at least MEASURE what you have so you can make a conscious decision about what you're going to do.
I agree and that's kind of why I want to change it. To say I did it. To get experience. Engines kind of terrify me but everything I've ever done on my cars ends up being not that bad. That being said, I did some reading just now on Yotatech and don't think I'll be adjusting them. Seems to be be outside my skill level and time to learn. I will at least measure them though so at least I know what's going on in there and what I can expect in the future.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:23 PM

Last, you might want to give your location. YotaTech members are all over the globe, one might be close to you, and she might have actually done a timing belt before. If you can get her help, you're golden. Even if she hasn't done a timing belt before, you can learn together.

Just a thought.