86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replaced power window regulator on my 86

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Replaced power window regulator on my 86

When I bought my 86 4Runner the driver power window regulator has a tooth missing so it would skip near the top and not roll up all the way. The PO included a replacement in the sale but it was for a full window, not one with vent windows like I have, so I ordered a Dorman and it works great. I know most of you already know that you need to mark the spot where the regulator and motor line up BEFORE removal, but I didn't do that. Oops. So I had to take the passenger one out to count the teeth. It all works great now, and I got to get in there and grease up the passenger regulator, but before I ended up taking the passenger one out I went online looking for someone who had done this before and couldn't find anything. The purpose of this post is to hopefully help someone in the future who doesn't know what they are doing like me. I'm also including the factory regulator to compare to the Dorman. The Dorman is very smooth. It has a slight stutter halfway through, but other than that it works great. At some point I will replace the passenger regulator, but it's working fine for now. Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket motors? Are they more powerful? The factory ones seem slow, but they are also 31 years old.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good to know the Dorman regulator is working out for you. I've never had to replace any on power windows but on the manuals I have had the springs resprung
Old 04-30-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Respringing the springs sounds like a b***h!!!
Old 04-30-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haha id imagine it was. There used to be a spring shop locally that would undertake any challenge
Old 04-30-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by 881stgen
... The factory ones seem slow, but they are also 31 years old.
The 31-year old grease in your regulators isn't helping. I don't know that I would go through the trouble, but if it bothers you getting the mechanism cleaned up and re-greased is sure to help.

I haven't done it myself, but I am told that silicone spray lube in the window tracks can make a very big difference.

It's possible you have a weak connection in the wiring. The motors pull a lot of amps, and if one of your crimps is not quite up to it, there could be a significant voltage drop. I'm not too sure how to find this (multimeter on each part of the wire while running the motor?).