86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replaced clutch now it won't release

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced clutch now it won't release

I replaced my clutch in my runner this last week and finally got everything back together. I thought everything was okay putting it back together but I was wrong. The first sign of trouble was when I started the truck in neutral (transfer case and tranny in neutral) and I was unable to put it in gear.

The clutch pedal felt like it had pressure, not it's normal amount but it did not drop straight to the floor. I had my wife hit the clutch pedal while I was looking at the slave cylinder, it was actuating the piston a good inch or so.

After some more tinkering and pressing the clutch pedal down it got progressively weaker (less force to press) until there is almost no resistance to push it straight to the floor (it returns to it's normal resting position quickly.

I did not have any trouble with the hydraulics before changing the clutch nor did I disconnect any of the lines while changing the clutch out.

Did I screw up the install? This was not my first clutch, just the first one in a 4x4 truck as opposed to a fwd car. I am pretty sure I torqued everything to speck from the 93 FSM that is floating around on the net.

I'm going to replace my master cylinder tonight with an OEM replacement and see if that helps the situation.

If it is not the master cylinder (or the hydraulics) what could it be? Could it be I over torqued the pressure plate and it will not release no matter how much pressure is applied by the throwout bearing?

Any help is appreciated.

Things replaced:
Pilot bearing, clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, flywheel resurfaced (by a reputable shop).
Old 07-23-2008, 04:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1 word-
bleed

then a few more words-
if bleeding doesn't solve the problem:
my preference is to replace the clutch slave and master cylinders whenever the clutch disc and pressure plate are replaced.

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-23-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:29 PM

yeah bleed it out well, it could simply be that the old pressure plate was weak and didnt take much force to disengauge and now that there is a new stiff one in there the hydraulics cant handle it, so bleed them in case there is any air, and then replace them if that doesnt solve the problem. Did you go with an OE or like OE replacement clutch? i put a centerforce clutch in my tacoma and replaced all hydraulics and everything and still was not able to release the pressure plate, those idiots designed it to require so much force to release the slave cyl wasnt even rated for it lol.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

you did get the disc in the right way? they usually have flywheel side marked on them.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the replys, I'm going to replace the MC and slave when I get home from work tonight and see how it goes.

I did make sure I put the clutch disc in the right way, that was one of the things I triple checked before mounting the pressure plate.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes what they said toyota parts have a mind of there own they like to learn about what there doing as in you old clutch worked good new one not so good blead it out and it should be ok i not do both master and slave as a pair if you got the disk in right then there should be nothing wrong with that

check under the dash to make sure you didnt crack the peddles the clutch bracket likes to crack
Old 07-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
If you were getting an inch of actuation on the slave, it should have released the clutch.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:29 AM

I found out my slave cylinder had pushed the piston out of the housing at some point in time. It came apart in my hands once I pulled the two bolts off holding it to the tranny. I'm hoping this cause of my problems with the clutch not releasing.

I've got the parts in but I did not have time to finish the bleeding the system last night. I'll get to that this afternoon hopefully.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:20 AM

Thanks for all the help, it turns out it was the slave/master cylinders needed to be replaced. Everything seems to be working properly now.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
9 times out of ten it's an improper bleed job or bad master/slave. Glad you got it fixed!