Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

removing front hub, i'm stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Use a wire wheel or wire brush to clean up the mating diameters of the rotor and the hub. Maybe even a little sandpaper. They will then slide together with ease and make you wonder why they were so hard to get apart.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OutlawMike
Use a wire wheel or wire brush to clean up the mating diameters of the rotor and the hub. Maybe even a little sandpaper. They will then slide together with ease and make you wonder why they were so hard to get apart.
yep, tried the sandpaper before reading this, it worked like a charm, and SERIOUSLY i was wondering why they were so hard to get apart! haha

next problem, i can't remember the order of all the washers/nuts (the 54mm nuts) that came off. i know there's a writeup somewhere around yotatech/4x4wire/etc with pictures to show which one goes where, i'm looking for it now, but if you find it first, post the link! i have 2 54mm nuts, 1 washer of sorts, and 1 lock washer. oh, and the 1 washer that was suctioned to the wheel bearing with grease, i should probably include that in this list too, but i know that is the first in after the bearing.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
do you have a FSM???
Old 10-29-2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
do you have a FSM???
nope, just a haynes. it sucks.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:42 PM

i found the page. here is the page, and here is the picture (for future reference).
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte..._end/teardown/
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...eardown/04.jpg

however, i just had a stupid moment. i know where the other part goes to, it sits directly behind the snap ring.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:43 PM

and with that said, i'm all done! got her back in one piece in time to get the wife's car into the garage before she has to scrape the frost off in the morning before she goes to work! hahaha

i love yotatech! never coulda done it without you guys!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you got it back together.

If you can, start looking around for a FSM now, they are invaluable for this type of work. Toyota has the best factory manuals I have every seen.

And the wife will be happy in the morning, and when the wife's happy, everybody is happy.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Here you go...

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

Old 10-30-2009, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
yeah, i downloaded that one a few days ago. but it is difficult to use, i guess each page (like 1500 of them) are all just jpegs, there are no links and you can't even search for text. plus, there are no page numbers, so searching for things really sucks.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Yesser they aren't gonna have it, i did that same thing with mine, Take a Screw driver and a hammer, put on one of the corners of the Nut and give it a few smacks. Mine loosened right up and i tightened it the same way.
I wish i would have gone and bought a Chilton's manual on my year model truck before i did. They are so Descriptive of what you have got to do, how to do it, and what you'll need. They are worth the 20 bucks you'll spend on it. You can find them online, but for the love of god don't get a Haynes manual It sucks and i hate mine. It doesn't hardly tell you anything.
Make sure you keep up with the order of what goes where, Don't think awe well i can remember, Because i made that mistake and it took a lot of phone calls to mechanic friends asking. Like i said, just buy a Chilton's and you'll be fine.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Lol sorry i didn't read what yall had posted before, i just kinda wrote everything yall had already covered. Have fun.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:55 AM

i dont mean to sound harsh, but did you seriously put that old rotor back on? that thing was shot!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by swaycleveland
i dont mean to sound harsh, but did you seriously put that old rotor back on? that thing was shot!
ha, no. that rotor was toasted from running out of brake pads i think 2 or 3 times now. the pictures were from taking it OFF, not putting it back on.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bojangles
Yesser they aren't gonna have it, i did that same thing with mine, Take a Screw driver and a hammer, put on one of the corners of the Nut and give it a few smacks. Mine loosened right up and i tightened it the same way.
I wish i would have gone and bought a Chilton's manual on my year model truck before i did. They are so Descriptive of what you have got to do, how to do it, and what you'll need. They are worth the 20 bucks you'll spend on it. You can find them online, but for the love of god don't get a Haynes manual It sucks and i hate mine. It doesn't hardly tell you anything.
Make sure you keep up with the order of what goes where, Don't think awe well i can remember, Because i made that mistake and it took a lot of phone calls to mechanic friends asking. Like i said, just buy a Chilton's and you'll be fine.

none of the auto parts shops around detroit carry many repair manuals for foreign (especially japanese) vehicles. people around here have a big grudge against japanese cars. you should see the looks i get everytime i even mention the word "toyota" in an auto parts store. i was lucky to find even a haynes manual (and yes, it is pretty pathetic). i still haven't been able to find ANYTHING for my 2001 honda accord. one of these days (if i ever need to fix anything on it)(got 193,000 miles so far and is my wife's daily driver + our main family vehicle) i'll get one off of ebay or something.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 03vrod
You can use a screwdriver and small hammer to remove the axle nut.You're not chiseling it off just tapping it loose.The nuts probably have a couple indentions on them already.I'm an ASE master mech for 25 years on trucks and this is the way we do it most of the time .The new axle nuts have a internal snap ring and require a special socket.We also use PB Blast and I like it so much that's what I buy for home use.If that doesn't work put a little heat on it.good luck

oh cmon, a 25 year mechanic and you won't pony up the $15 for a socket so you can do the job right everytime??

My new 54mm nuts were normal... Had to replace them because the last guy didnt wanna buy the proper socket either...
Old 10-30-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unbolt caliper and move out of the way to remove hub+rotor assembly. The IS a flex line between the frame and the hardline that goes to the caliper, if there wasn't your line would snap after a couple road bumps as the A arm moves relative to the body.

Toyota has the 54mm socket I believe. Trail Gear has it for sale online. You NEED the socket to do this properly because you need to torque the nut to get wheel bearing preload.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
oh cmon, a 25 year mechanic and you won't pony up the $15 for a socket so you can do the job right everytime??

My new 54mm nuts were normal... Had to replace them because the last guy didnt wanna buy the proper socket either...
He can probably get away with that for removing the nut as its installed with only 17ft-lbs (IIRC), preload loosens over time and its a big nut.

Reinstalling it is another matter as previously mentioned.