Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rebuilding the 4R

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 02:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuilding the 4R

After driving this 4R for over 10 years now it started to show the usuall signs of rust, use etc. I always parked it outside and it has always been used at winter.
I want to keep it so I made the decision to rebuild it, repair everything and get it to go alot faster.
So I removed a lot of stuff I do not use anymore, replace simple stuff with aluminium, galvanize the chassis, optimize the suspension etc.
While I was doing that and had to wait anyhow, I planned to change/finish the 2JZ-GE. Allready had the turbo but wanted to simplify the electronics and vacuum system, use a 2JZ-GTE intakeplenum and throttle body, loose the distributor and use coil packs etc. I've got a VEMS unit now as the main ECU.

I stopped the insurance and tax last year and started at the end of the summer with the chassis. It all took more time than I thought so the 4R has been on 4 legs for 4-5 months. At least. Had to make these 'stilts' cause I do most work on my own.
I know you all like pics, so here we go:
Taking the body off:

After I wheeled the frame into the garage I found that the chassis wasn't that bad at all.

Although there's rust, it's mostly surface rust and hasn't penetrated. I found 2 holes were the bumpstofs for the rear suspension are. That was after it had been dipped in an acid bath, rinsed and sandblasted. That's all after 21 years!

Checked each hole, weld and even put some extra welds on, cleaned the original welding spots etc. just to make it look good and clean after galvanizing.
Also made new shock hoops up front, strengtened some parts and replaced a few brackets I made but wasn't happy with.

Next was taking it to the galvaniser, I chose a company who was a litter bit more expensive, but who deliver good work. I used them before for my Hilux, trailer etc. They seem to be holding out good after 20 years of use.

Here's how it looks just after picking it up.

Looks like new to me.

Next step was putting it back together. Seemed simple, but I changed so much details plus I wanted some stuff to be perfect and not just functional.
I also changed the engine, so alle pipes, hardware, electrics are different.
Feels like I was building it from scratch again.

Boughts these from a Landrover dealer and fitted perfectly.

This also gives me better acces to the engine from the side cause the shocks and towers aren't blocking stuff. I can even get my starter out now without a hassle!

It took me several months with all the pre-work and limited time, but I had a rolling chassis about mid winter.

I put the engine back in incl. the overhauled gearbox and made a few new hardlines for the brakes, rerouted the fuel line to the other side of the frame and put the body back on.

Here's how it looks after putting the shocks on, with the new wastegate.
I had the engine on a dyno while doing this work to program the VEMS and found that my blow off valve was sticking, the internal wastegate was to small, one injector was bleeding etc. So I had to change the whole exhaust, squeeze a wastegate in there somehow etc.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:18 AM

Wow. Thorough work, I'm impressed.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 AM
Contributing Member

The large 2JZ intake plenum was replaced with a 2JZ-GTE after re-welding the collector. I also used GTE valvecovers cause they are smaller and give me more room towards the firewall and brake booster.
The distributor was replaced with a 7M-GTE sending unit for the coil pack.
I used the OEM coil packes from a GTE and made mounting brackets for it.
All other stuff was removed and plugged, the wire loom was made new.
Here it is on the dyno while testing and experimenting.

The test setup.

It all proved to be a good decision. I found a lot of small issues and was able to really make the engine as simple as possible. That's not visible on the dyno pics

While testing;

The end result was 400hp with 400Nm. Due to the fact I have a high compression engine I get a fast throttle response and massive torque from the start. The tuner said my torque curve looked like a tuned V8.
I have to search for the printout cause I've misplaced it.

The engine was than cleaned up, made a new and very smalle loom, replace the waterpump cleaned it, fixed all remainig issues and this is how it looks now. I put on most hoses but still have to do some stuff.

The old SS exhaust was cut up and re-used in the new layout. It turned out to be quit some work to get a full 3" pipe in all those thight spots.

Except for the rear the exhaust is now done. I can finish it as soon as I have the rear bumper back from the sand blaster.
Made a new hitch so I can mount the warn in the rear, out of the way plus I can bolt off the actual hitch.

Tested the exhaust without the coils and with the axle fully stuffed.

I stated working on the electronics, fuel pump etc. and, off couse I have a fuel leak. 2 actually. I have removed my 1" bodylift so reaching on top of the tank is now impossible. This was the easiest solution:

Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 AM
Contributing Member

Front view. Still have to replace the waterhose with a silicone one I got last week.

One mounting-ear needed to be removed from the turbo housing to clear the shock hoop.

Drivers side was easy, no interterence with anything.

Things to do:

I forgot to order the rear shocks, plus several other small things, but are aiming to have it running by the end of the month.
Drive it for a few months so resolve the unknown issues etc., park it for a while and have the body painted.
Allready replaced the trunk, redid lots of the interior etc.
Never ending story......
Old 04-09-2012, 04:07 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Looks great. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Gives me motivation for my project.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice work. Why did you decide on this engine and set up?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

The main reason for using this engine was that I spoke with a tuner searching for info to replace my 7M engine which was close to its death.
He advised me this engine, in fact I got this one from him for free. He also has lots of info, experience and lots of used parts.
I build his rearends and diffs for his shop and he supplies all parts for my engine.
I allready drove it for over 3 years with a turbo and intercooler, really liked the smoothness and power, but hated the Greddy ECU overriding the OEM ECU, wiring and vacuum stuff.
Way to complicated and not needed.
After some 2,5-3 years I run into an idle problem which we both were unable to trace.
So I decided to change the intake manifolds, throttle body, ignition and just about anything that's present on a 2JZ-GE. And replace all wiring and electrical stuff with one fully programmable ECU; a VEMS unit.
The body and chassis needed work, so I would have time to do this all.
In the end all I used was the short block and head from the GE, the rest is homemade from scrap from several different engines.
Only bought the hoses, clamps, gaskets etc. new.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Time for an update.
I put the project on hold caus I had no spare time left for it.
With Xmas and so I had a few days so I started to finish details. And some major stuff offcourse. The red wire for the fuelpump is temporarely switched via the IGN and not the VEMS which can be a problem if you are in an accident. For now this will do.

The Vemms was hooked up, wiring is alsmost finished except for the tach signal and fuelpump relay which still need to be programmed.
Idle control also need programming since it's electrically okay but still no response on the coils. We ran out of time on the dyno, so knew this wouldn't work from. Only major thing that need to be done actually.

The exhaust and wastegate are also finished. Everything in SS. Manifold looks brown as steel but is also SS, just has a few years of use on it.
I decide to use some heatwrap cause I've now seen how hot the turbo gets.

Have to see if I can find the old rubber sideflaps to close the side gaps.
The body lift was removed, everything stock except suspension offcourse.

Frame and underside of body are all done.

The Warn has a space reserved on the hitch. Still working on remaking the stock bumper.

Made a slot for better air flow in the front bumper and mounted 2 12"pusher fans incl. an aluminium shroud and seals.
Couldn't fit a larger intercooler.

Engine is all hooked up. Still need to fab a cold air intake of some sorts.
I'm not mounting a snorkel anymore since somebody decided to steal mine just before I started the project.

ARB compressor is also done. Front air locker works and doesn't even leak. That's a first.
Rear 9.5"E locker also works, so I'm good to go.

Engine bay looks like this now. Still want to make a few small brackets and fit some clips etc. to clean it all up.
Only 2 vac. lines left on the entire engine left (for the fuelrail and brake booster)!
Thinking about replacing the BOV with a better quality one. It now sometimes opens premature. I guess it's at the end of its chinese lifespan.

After replacing the old fuel and fitting a new fuelfilter it started right away. Could'n notice it's been sitting in the garage for like a year (and a half).
As soon as the engine gets warm idle rises to around 2500 rpm and I have to shut it down. Engine doesn't miss, backfire or anything so I'm quit happy at the moment.
Waiting for my friend to get back so we can finish the idle issue and do dome nice stuff. Have got the android app for VEMS with wich I should be a able to monitor TPS, EGR, temps etc.

I want to start driving the 4R this summer so I still have a few months to finish. The paint job and fenderflares probably have to wait till next winter.