Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear speaker removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear speaker removal

Hey fellas, a little help if possible. I had Best Buy put a new head unit in my 93 4runner, it was somewhat of a fiasco. They didn't hook the power antenna wire up, so it went back for that to make the rear speakers work. Then only the left speakers in the rear and both front speakers worked. But the rear are tinny sounding. So I finally took the radio out myself and returned it. Now I have put the OEM unit in and I get just the front and the left rear now. Before this all started I had all the speakers working.

There is an amp below the OEM radio, is that the amp that powers the rear speakers? When I first put the radio and that amp in, I would have to unplug and plug both wire harnesses to get the speakers to work. Now, they just work when I slam the door!! And only sometimes at that. They will also come on at will, (posessed), and when you shut the vehicle off, they may not come on.

Also, how do you get at the rear speakers? It looks like I have to take the whole rear cabin apart to get at them. What kind of job is it?

This is driving me crazy. I know this had been talked about before, but I can't seem to find anything doing a search.

Thank you for your help in advance,

Jerry
Old 05-05-2007, 03:07 PM

That was your first mistake....letting best buy touch your truck
Old 05-05-2007, 03:15 PM

getting at the rear speaker is eazy as long as you get some spare clips the first time i swapped speakers in my runner had all four done in less than two hours. at this point i have swaped the rear twice more.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:18 PM

getting to the factory cargo panel speakers is not difficult but is a chore. if you don't want to crack any plastic, definitely set aside an entire afternoon for this job and TAKE YOUR TIME. I had success starting from the very back side of each panel and working slowly forward.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks fellas! I have narrowed it down to the small plug that goes into the amp under the radio. Everytime you turn off the radio or ignition you have to plug it back in or jiggle it to make it work again. Also if you turn it up too loud none of the speakers work. (Also does it with the front.) I tried bending the prongs slightly to make a better a contact but it doesn't do any good.
Also, that amp gets really warm. Is this a concern? I assume my amp has bad connections as you have to jiggle it to get both sets of rear speakers to work. Do they go out much?
Am I on the right track?

I will be gone from the computer for a couple of hours, but will check back and appreciate your help.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, Best Buy not Good Buy, just goodbye. A young girl put the radio in, another guy that managed the place was guiding her. I think they tried hard to make it work, some of it may be the truck also.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Gametom,

Where do you start to take the rear plastic apart?
Old 05-05-2007, 06:55 PM

i started at the back i take the edging off the bottom and top of the back i had this pic handy
the greenish yellow first and the piece on top similar to it then to the reddish orange you have to release the whole back section above and below the window actually removing this entire panel is not necessary just enough to get at the speakers. one last thing fold your rear seat or it will get in the way and take your storage area covers off before you start.
i think thats about it just let me know if you want better pics or more help.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:39 PM

i would just take that amp out and run the speakers off the deck. thats how my speakers are running with 6x9 mounted under the rear panels and it sounds great!
Old 05-08-2007, 11:31 AM

First, I'm sorry you had a bad experience w/ a Best Buy Install Bay. As an Installer for Best Buy, I have seen both good & bad work from many different shops.

Now, what is the year of you're 4Runner? If it's a 2nd Gen, then yes, you have to take the rear panels off. As the amp goes, did they not bypass the amp? I know I always unplug the amp and use that harness to goto the new radio w/ no problems.

Again, sorry about the problems you had.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Tom,

In talking to a friend, he thinks maybe the radio has an anti-theft device activated. It does say anti-theft on the cassette door. I bought this vehicle used off ebay, it was siezed in a drug case, and of course, no op manual. Other forums tell me I can take the radio to the dealership, they will knock the anti-theft code out of it, when I called my local dealer, they didn't seem to know anything about it. It is frustrating, the radio works if I unplug the small connector to the amp, but if I turn it up too high, it goes out. Then I have to unplug and plug it back in. Same thing when I shut the vehicle or radio off.
Can this be the anti-theft?
Also, if it has anti-theft, I don't think it was anything Best Buy did, they tried hard and treated me right. I would go back.
Thanks for you help.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by jaaydee
Thanks Tom,

In talking to a friend, he thinks maybe the radio has an anti-theft device activated. It does say anti-theft on the cassette door. I bought this vehicle used off ebay, it was siezed in a drug case, and of course, no op manual. Other forums tell me I can take the radio to the dealership, they will knock the anti-theft code out of it, when I called my local dealer, they didn't seem to know anything about it. It is frustrating, the radio works if I unplug the small connector to the amp, but if I turn it up too high, it goes out. Then I have to unplug and plug it back in. Same thing when I shut the vehicle or radio off.
Can this be the anti-theft?
Also, if it has anti-theft, I don't think it was anything Best Buy did, they tried hard and treated me right. I would go back.
Thanks for you help.

If the radio works, then it isn't any anti-theft causing problems. On the factory amp, exactly how many plugs, two or three? I will say this, it's a good chance that the amp could be bad that's why I asked about BBY's wiring.

Question, what harness did they use? If they used a 8112 it's probably the amp, if it was a 1761, it could be a few things. That would also help figure out a few things, though I agree w/ some others, I ran new wire for my rears when I replaced my rear speakers.