Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear end locked up and killed engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:51 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
haha @ b4runner, I was talking about the evo motor, you'll be fine because your motor is totally different. if your timing belt comes off your truck your internals dont continue to function, they just stop. replace the belt and see if it turns over. you'll need to time it obviously too.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:58 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Cop
That just bites. Before you pull the engine apart, you might check the compression. There are a few other things that could have failed, and you won't be able to check it once you tear the engine down.

MC

Compression check wont tell him anything if his timing belt is gone. if valves aren't tuning there will not be any compression, which is most likely why the engine is turning easily. Which someone stated earlier.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Unless...he snapped the crankshaft and all the starter's turning is the flywheel.

At this point we all hope it's just the timing belt don't we?

FYI, compression will still be available on at least a cylinder or 2. ALL the valves won't open at the same time when the belt snaps. Why you'd want to test compression in this is case, however, is another story.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-20-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
our friend towed it to his shop and is having his mechanic take a look at it. im supposed to call him monday to see what the diagnosis is. the rear end i can of course tackel on my own. if its the timing belt, im debating on whether ill do that on my own.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:34 PM

thank you all for you advice! its really making me feel better about the problem just being the timing chain.

but it never made sense to me how exactly the rear end locking up killed the engine. no one else on the thread said anything about it, but i figured i just didnt kno something very obvious. but drew303 reinforced the mystery into me. he doesnt understand either:

if my rear end locked up, how did it manage to kill the engine? its not the tranny bc the tranny shifts through all gears like normal. and even in neutral, the truck chugs bc the differential.

but how did that kill my engine. drew303 says when doing his breaks, he had the truck revving high and slapped on his breaks, bringing the engine to a sudden stop. thats what happened to my truck as well;m the engine came to a sudden halt. how did that do anything to the engine?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The diff is connected thru the drive line which is connected to the tranny which is connected to the clutch which is connected to your flywheel which is connected to your crank which......

haha
Old 02-23-2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
The diff is connected thru the drive line which is connected to the tranny which is connected to the clutch which is connected to your flywheel which is connected to your crank which......

haha
Haha, I know that. But would't the belt have stopped with the engine and all? What caused it to snap, if that's actually the case.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:03 AM

crazy things just happen sometimes man. i'd check the timing belt. that seems like a logical explination of not starting and it turning over like you say it is. one more thing, just a shot in the dark but a suggestion. do you think by some crazy possible way that the ignitor wire or whatever its called came off of your positive battery post? just thought i'd suggest that. happened to me once when i hit a really big pothole in the road because the wire was all corroded. it wouldn't start and was cranking over like super easy, like how you were describing, like its not doin any work
Old 02-23-2010, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rear end locks
you don't hit the clutch
the lack of movement transmits down the driveline to the motor
the crank is forced to stop spinning in time with the cams
the cams held in time only by the belt which has now stopped
the inertia of the belt cause it to continue moving thus forcing it to jump time

or

the distribution is messed up too
not too bad
Old 02-23-2010, 06:12 AM

if you can do the rear end, the timing belt will be a breeze
Old 02-24-2010, 06:01 AM

Well guys, GREAT news! Of course the rear end is toast, but my engine fired up without having to touch it. Safety features are always a bonus. When the diff locked up, is sent me jolting and skidding everywhere. Well, that made the truck think it was in an accident. And it has a safety switch to cut power to the fuel pump when it's in an accident. So it thought it was in an accident and shut off the fuel pump. Just had to reflip the switch. Truck fired right up.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is good news. Good thing you didn't waste your time tearing the engine down without doing normal diagnostic checks...

So when are you going to have that thing locked and back on the road? We've got to go give these old rigs a look at some snow!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By the way- your skid marks are impressive. You are extremely lucky to be alive.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Uh, what switch????
Old 02-24-2010, 07:44 AM

Yeah, what switch? I know Fords/Lincoln/Mercury have a switch like that, but never heard of a Toyota with one.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:59 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc
Uh, what switch????
Originally Posted by pauliep13
Yeah, what switch? I know Fords/Lincoln/Mercury have a switch like that, but never heard of a Toyota with one.

It's next to the flux capacitor, DUH!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:03 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by B4Runner
Well guys, GREAT news! Of course the rear end is toast, but my engine fired up without having to touch it. Safety features are always a bonus. When the diff locked up, is sent me jolting and skidding everywhere. Well, that made the truck think it was in an accident. And it has a safety switch to cut power to the fuel pump when it's in an accident. So it thought it was in an accident and shut off the fuel pump. Just had to reflip the switch. Truck fired right up.
see what all that worry got you?

And was the switch the ignition or key switch?

And was you rear making any noise prior to the lockup?

I want pics when you take it out!

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-24-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:39 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
i want pics of the skid marks.

Yeah...pics or it didn't happen...........kidding.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by B4Runner
And it has a safety switch to cut power to the fuel pump when it's in an accident. So it thought it was in an accident and shut off the fuel pump. Just had to reflip the switch. Truck fired right up.
Dude...are you serious!? Did you really think we'd buy that for half a second?

Let me tell you something. This is definetly going in the "dumbest thing someones told you about cars thread" for sure.

Moron....

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-24-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:04 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
no need to be a jackhole mudhippy. Yeah his story sounds like bs but no need to name call.

Quick Reply: rear end locked up and killed engine