Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

rear end locked up and killed engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:12 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Namecalling will get you a visit from the Wabbit. Ask me how I know.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
He did kinda just waste all of our time here did he not? Was this thread supposed to be funny? Some kind of joke thread? I ain't laughing...sorry.

Maybe Jerk would be more appropriate than Moron...

He's a something that's all I know!
Old 02-24-2010, 02:19 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
not everyone knows everything about cars, maybe thats what the mechanic told him? Thats not something he made up on his own considering he took it to a shop.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:28 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
he forgot the gem in post 29...
Old 02-24-2010, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Cop
By the way- your skid marks are impressive. You are extremely lucky to be alive.
Ha, you saw them?

Originally Posted by Marc
Uh, what switch????
Originally Posted by pauliep13
Yeah, what switch? I know Fords/Lincoln/Mercury have a switch like that, but never heard of a Toyota with one.
My point exactly.

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
see what all that worry got you?
And was the switch the ignition or key switch?
And was you rear making any noise prior to the lockup?
I want pics when you take it out!
Ehh. Im glad to have worried and found out that its all good then think nothing of it and come to realize it's horrible. Pix are already in the plan.

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
i want pics of the skid marks.
Yeah...pics or it didn't happen...........kidding.
Ha, getting pix of the skids might be a bit difficult.

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Dude...are you serious!? Did you really think we'd buy that for half a second?
Let me tell you something. This is definetly going in the "dumbest thing someones told you about cars thread" for sure.
Moron....
Sorry I'm not as educated as you. Sue me. And if I wasted so much of you time, why did come back to the thread?

Originally Posted by vital22re
no need to be a jackhole mudhippy. Yeah his story sounds like bs but no need to name call.
Sounds like bs? Like I comletely made this up?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Dude...are you serious!? Did you really think we'd buy that for half a second?

Let me tell you something. This is definetly going in the "dumbest thing someones told you about cars thread" for sure.

Moron....
Are you saying that you don't believe that it is possible that there is a fuel cutoff switch, or just that you know that there is no such thing on a 4runner, unlike some other manufacturers of the same era?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm kinda curious about this mystery switch. Have any pictures of it?
Old 02-24-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by BlackNite3
Are you saying that you don't believe that it is possible that there is a fuel cutoff switch, or just that you know that there is no such thing on a 4runner, unlike some other manufacturers of the same era?
Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
again, this came from my mechanic. all i kno is that when all this originally happened, the engine wudnt start for . and then the mechanic says he just flipped the switch and it fired right up. i will search for it tho and ask him where it is.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regarding skid pics- As a guy who has also almost been killed in the exact same spot, and who has lost friends to wrecks on the same grade, and who has the dubious privilege of being a Deputy Coroner, and who knows B4Runner's parents, I will request that no extreme efforts be made to obtain skid pics! There is no shoulder there, so to get pics would have to be on the fly as you drive by. The skids wouldn't tell you much unless you knew the cliff next to them. Suffice to say- if there had been oncoming traffic, he probably wouldn't be writing us.

Back on task- I wonder if the fuel pump relay or some EFI connection got bumped a bit loose due to the sudden jerk when the diff locked, and if simply by poking around at it, the mech resolved it. Stranger things have happened. I've never heard of this switch either.

It is curious. However, the fact remains that the engine runs, and the car is that much closer to being back on the road. Good!

MC
Old 02-24-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by B4Runner
again, this came from my mechanic. all i kno is that when all this originally happened, the engine wudnt start for . and then the mechanic says he just flipped the switch and it fired right up. i will search for it tho and ask him where it is.
It does sound very reasonable to me, especially since lots of vehicles have some sort of inertia switch to cutoff the fuel supply system in the case of an accident. I'm not yet familiar enough with Toyota trucks to know if they have one or not, but my '89 Ranger did as well as my '80 MGB. In fact, the British parts catalog sells a universal aftermarket inertia switch since the MGB switch is no longer available. Who knows, maybe a previous owner installed one of these on your truck. Ask your mechanic to show you the switch so you'll know for future reference.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
ok then... what have we learned?

Don't come on here and get us all hyped up with "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!! My V6 that already has a black eye has blew up and almost killed me!!"

Cooler heads prevail... Just calm down and relax next time... Do some intel, some troubleshooting and then call the Calvary in.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-24-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
The only possibility is if the PO installed an aftermarket switch of some sort. Toyota never ever had a factory inertia switch.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mountain Cop
By the way- your skid marks are impressive. You are extremely lucky to be alive.
Agreed. I just saw them yesterday. Good thing no one was coming up the hill.

OP, let me know what gearing you have. I know where a couple spare thirds are.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackNite3
It does sound very reasonable to me, especially since lots of vehicles have some sort of inertia switch to cutoff the fuel supply system in the case of an accident. I'm not yet familiar enough with Toyota trucks to know if they have one or not, but my '89 Ranger did as well as my '80 MGB..
That wasn't an inertia switch in the MG that was just good old Lucas electrics acting up over bumps........
Old 02-25-2010, 06:37 AM

lol of biblical proportions!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Marc
That wasn't an inertia switch in the MG that was just good old Lucas electrics acting up over bumps........
They don't call Lucas "The Prince of Darkness" for nothing There's a reason I now drive a Toyota as a daily driver and the MG sits peacefully under a tarp...
Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 PM

Well, forget about the engine. I still haven't heard back from the mechanic about where the non-existant switch is located. Nonetheless, the engine runs and I'm happy.

I've taken my 3rd member out. Spider gears or pinion bearing are most likely the answer. The ring and pinion are fine, but nothing will budge.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51381795

(Progress pics will come when I gather patience to upload them onto Photobucket.)
Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
The only possibility is if the PO installed an aftermarket switch of some sort. Toyota never ever had a factory inertia switch.
I knew there wasn't one but it never hurts to ask.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:56 PM

Got my new (to me) diffy in a few days ago. Had to swap out the pinion flanges from the old to new because the new was smaller than my driveline. Truck runs better than ever. Still haven't heard back from my mechanic on how exactly he got the engine running. Will update whenever he gets back to me.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:23 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
glad to hear you're down the road again.

Quick Reply: rear end locked up and killed engine