Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear end locked up and killed engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You swapped out the pinon flange? Did you count how many times you unscrewed the nut off of it and then screw it back on the exact amount of turns?

Just wanting to make sure this doesn't happen to you again, mine was making noise and going up hills was starting to bog the truck down, it started doing this in the rain too. I was praying that it didn't do the same as yours did. Mine initially started when the PO took it to have the pinon seal replaced and they didn't do this and immediately after it started making noise, it killed the pinon bearing and i'm sure it progressed to killing the rest of the bearings from there.

I too have put a used third member in at this time, but I will be having Zuk rebuild my old one come October when he gets time because this isn't something I want to mess with. It would really suck if it locked up like this in traffic.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so no pics and nothing about this magic switch...huh?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
I think the long and short of it, was there never was a switch.

Hence why we never saw any pictures
Old 08-23-2010, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leave him alone, who cares about a stupid switch and about the motor! Let's all just be happy he's still alive to post on the board with us and all use this as a learning experience! Don't neglect your car, it can and will kill you. If you take care of it, it will take care of you.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Well what if Toyota DID put a mysterious switch in that no one knows about?

WE NEED TO KNOW THESE THINGS!!

Are you trying to limit my knowledge, Modlite?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by modlite
You swapped out the pinon flange? Did you count how many times you unscrewed the nut off of it and then screw it back on the exact amount of turns? It would really suck if it locked up like this in traffic.
I didn't count the number of turns, but I counted how many threads were past the bottom of the nut, so basically the same thing. And my lock-up was caused by my neglect to the "slow, nothing to worry about" (said the PO's mechanic) diff leak it had when I bought it.

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
I think the long and short of it, was there never was a switch.
I think I covered this earlier. No, there was no switch like that. Since the truck couldn't be taken home, our family friend towed it to his shop, where his mechanic decided to take a look at it, and gave us the story about the switch. I discovered that it was probably the main lead wire to the distributor. One day I was out working on my truck and had the engine running, set my hand down somewhere around there, and I got a tremendously great-feeling shock. Turns out that my my wire tip was totally disconnected from its little prong and was just hanging on and keeping contact from simple pressure; just sitting there. So now, I realize that it probably just fell off when the truck took the sudden drop in speed. The switch idea wasn't my theory, just one I took for granted.

Originally Posted by modlite
Leave him alone, who cares about a stupid switch and about the motor! Let's all just be happy he's still alive to post on the board with us and all use this as a learning experience! Don't neglect your car, it can and will kill you. If you take care of it, it will take care of you.
Thanks Modlite.