86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Diff Rebuild Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Diff Rebuild Questions.

I'm going to try to do this this weekend. I'm putting some 5.29's in with a master install kit. I'm sure I'm capable of this. First off, if there is any tips I may not have encountered in my research of this job please let me know.

Here is my question after reading through the service manual a couple of times. There are a couple times where bearing preload must be measured and adjusted. When measuring the preload for say the pinion, is that the amount of torque it takes to turn the pinion before the gears start to interact or is it the amount of torque required to turn the whole assembly?

Also, once I check the gear contact pattern, is it true that if it must be adjusted I have to press the bearings off, change the spacer and repress the bearing back on? Can this be done fairly easily without damaging the bearing? I'm going to be improvising a press most likely. I will be using a tool for removal that Harbor Freight carries. It's a cool little puller but it won't help me put it back on.

Thanks y'all. Any advise will be very helpful.

By the way, I have an aussie installed already and I don't plan on removing that if I don't have to.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/gear_setup/
Old 07-11-2008, 08:15 AM

Sounds like you've got it pretty much figured out, but here's a few tips you're seeking..

Originally Posted by axekick
Also, once I check the gear contact pattern, is it true that if it must be adjusted I have to press the bearings off, change the spacer and repress the bearing back on? Can this be done fairly easily without damaging the bearing?
There is a trick about using the outer casing from the old bearing as a dummy while you fine tune the contact, then when it's set, you just press it on one time and be done. Ian did this a few times on Xtreme 4x4.

By the way, I have an aussie installed already and I don't plan on removing that if I don't have to.
You will, kinda. In order to replace the ring and pinion, the carrier has to come off. In other words your old ring gear is bolted to the aussie so you'll have to take it out to change them out then put it back in.

EDIT: ^He posted while I was typing, that's a good article too.

Last edited by CanTheWhales; 07-11-2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: took too long
Old 07-11-2008, 08:24 AM

I don't think I have to take the aussie out of the carrier though. I put it in, but it was a long time ago and I may not be remembering it right.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
www.gearinstalls.com
Old 07-11-2008, 08:59 AM

Oooh, that's nice.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:04 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Get your camera batteries charged up and post pics on this thread of the install....in particular, the painted patterns and we can get you through this with minimal pain. ZUK
Old 07-11-2008, 01:09 PM

axekick: Zuk is the god of gear installs, listen to him www.gearinstalls.com is his page.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:11 PM

get someone like zuk to do it.saves you the heart ache and gives better results in the end.im not doubting your ability just speaking from experience .
Old 07-11-2008, 03:17 PM

I've spent quite a few hours looking at your previos builds. I need to get this done this weekend. I may or may not, but it will be just like yours when I'm done. Your website is very informative and much apreciated, Zuk.

I can't find a small enough torque wrench anywhere so I am going to buy a spring scale and use a 10 inch rod to measure my pinion bearing preload.

I also don't have a press in my garage so I'm either going to have to break down and buy one or improvise a little. If that doesn't work I think I can find someone with a press I can borrow. Other than that, I think this will be an enjoyable an satisfying experience.

It's very nice to know that I canget some help if I run into problems.

Thanks y'all!
Old 07-11-2008, 05:03 PM

Well, I'm sad to discover that I've bought low quality gears. They're Genuine Gear. I don't do any hard core wheelin, but I drive on the highway all the time. Hopefully if I'm careful with my setup and get everything just like it's supposed to be I won't have any trouble with these things for a while. I'll start the build early in the morning. I have gotten my dial indicator and magnetic base and on my way home I'm going to go by the head shop and get a spring scale. That should cover my measuring devices. Now if I can come up with some innovative tools like Zuk has done as I go I should be able to handle this.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:49 PM

Where you at in Texas axe?
Old 07-11-2008, 06:07 PM

I'm in Austin, How about you? I also go to Rockport Somewhat regularly.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:15 PM

Ah. I'm in Bulverde (san antonio area). Very rarely go to austin.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm in Austin, How about you? I also go to Rockport Somewhat regularly.

Rockport........ God I miss shark fishing.

Luck on your build bro!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:26 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Well, I'm sad to discover that I've bought low quality gears. They're Genuine Gear. I don't do any hard core wheelin, but I drive on the highway all the time. Hopefully if I'm careful with my setup and get everything just like it's supposed to be I won't have any trouble with these things for a while. I'll start the build early in the morning. I have gotten my dial indicator and magnetic base and on my way home I'm going to go by the head shop and get a spring scale. That should cover my measuring devices. Now if I can come up with some innovative tools like Zuk has done as I go I should be able to handle this.
Your factory shim is probably .080" and that Genuine Gear will probably need .093~.098"....so try that for a starter shim. Now are you sure you really have a Genuine Gear?.....just because the box says Genuine doesn't mean much. Read the numbers off of the ring.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:35 AM

That is excellent information. I will definitely do that. I'm pretty sure it's a genuine gear. I compared it to the two genuine gears you have on your site. I bought it from 4 wheel parts, so at least they gave me a lifetime warranty. If I ever have to use the warranty I'll get a better replacement. Hopefully it will hold up like the one you put in the front of that buggy.

I'm off to my folk's garage to get started. I'll talk to you guy in a while.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:40 AM

I didn't even know all this was going on. I had .033" of runout, assuming runout is the side to side movement of the carrier. I had .051" of backlash. Way out! This is my own fault. The carrier bolts were not tight enough from when I installed the locker. I didn't use any threadlocker. Won't happen again. Now I am at a sticking point because I don't know how I'm going to perss the bearings on and off. I might have to get into the savings a little and spring for a little harbor freight shop press. I'm hoping to find one to use somewhere though.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Diff Rebuild Questions.-dsc01061.jpg  
Old 07-12-2008, 08:47 AM

I didn't even know all this was going on. I had .033" of runout, assuming runout is the side to side movement of the carrier. I had .051" of backlash. Way out! This is my own fault. The carrier bolts were not tight enough from when I installed the locker. I didn't use any threadlocker. Won't happen again. Now I am at a sticking point because I don't know how I'm going to perss the bearings on and off. I might have to get into the savings a little and spring for a little harbor freight shop press. I'm hoping to find one to use somewhere though.
bought a press at harbor frieght 7 years ago and have never looked back, its done gears and rods and all kinds of misc stuff, worth the 100 bucks i spent
Old 07-12-2008, 10:34 AM

Whoa .051" is a tonne. What do you mean by carrier bolts? the 4 bearing cap bolts. If so I reassembled my diff yesterday, got interrupted, came back, installed the diff and tested it out. Only that night did I realize that the bearing cap bolts were just a little more than hand tight! I just about crapped myself. I pulled it all apart yesterday and luckily had no damage. Re-check backlash and carrier bearing preload. 0.008" and "high" respectively- as I left them. I'm going to button it all up today.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Rebuild Questions.