86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Brake Issues

Hello everybody, I'm new here. And I come to you with a question about my daily driver. I have an 1987 toyota SR5 4x4 IFS. Recently, I have noticed that the brake pedal is really soft and almost goes to the floor. I thought maybe it was a master cylinder or a brake booster problem. So i took it to the local brake and suspension shop. They told me that the rear drums needed turning, the shoes were metal to metal, the wheel cylinders were wasted, and that there was no fluid going to the back at all. They said maybe it was the height adjusting valve in the back. But they werent sure. Does this sound right? What other causes could there be? Thanks alot

nate
Old 01-18-2006, 09:55 AM

Sounds about right.

I haven't messed with the load valve in the back other than trying to straighten out my rod.

IF you have them do the work, have them flush the break system out. Myself, I have found if the cylinders are shot, calipers and master cylinder are close to follow. It would be wise to consider doing the WHOLE system at once. Especially on a 20 year old truck. I have gotten to the point once a year, because brake fluid absorbs moisture, I flush my brake system whether it needs it or not. It cleans out the crud and keeps my cylinders functioning properly without leaking.

Have them check out the parking brake levers in the rear brakes on the backing plates. If these are stuck, have them replace 'em. I have tried to free up mine and all it did was hold off the inevitable task of replacing them. At least I know how to take my brakes apart quickly to get them off.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:45 AM

I have your same problem on my 87. I have to sometimes pump the brakes to get my truck to stop. And I have to refill my brake fluid like once a mounth. I've been under there and I can't seem to find any leaks....So I thingk my next step is to get my guy to look at them. Keep me updated and I'll do the same.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah they also told me i might have a kinked brake line to the back, but i got under it and saw nothing. Also, the rod that connects to the valve is bent, I don't know if its supposed to be completely straight or have minor bends. Well it seems as if im going to have to replace alot of brake parts. That sucks. I still have to replace a steering rack, p/s pump, axle seals, and pinion seal on my mustang. And the timing cover on the yoda is leaking. Jeez there went all my money.........

:chicken:
Old 01-18-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rod to the valve is supposed to have a slight bend in it, mine does, always has

Originally Posted by slow5poh
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah they also told me i might have a kinked brake line to the back, but i got under it and saw nothing. Also, the rod that connects to the valve is bent, I don't know if its supposed to be completely straight or have minor bends. Well it seems as if im going to have to replace alot of brake parts. That sucks. I still have to replace a steering rack, p/s pump, axle seals, and pinion seal on my mustang. And the timing cover on the yoda is leaking. Jeez there went all my money.........

:chicken:
Old 01-18-2006, 02:33 PM

mine has two slight bends, one at either end. They look identical.