86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

It is really time to change that timing belt now

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy Ending

Its a success. My runner runs real good again. Except it seems hot everywhere around the engine - I think I am so used to working on it not hot that I think its really hot now?
Time for a Guiness
Old 09-01-2006, 08:16 AM

Except it seems hot everywhere around the engine
Don't forget to burp the coolant

Nice Work!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:32 AM

Thanks. I burped it once, but chickened out when it was acting like a volcano and spirting in my driveway. Now that I know its supposed to do that, then settle, I will do it again. I need to find an incline steeper than my drive way? I think.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:38 AM

2nd Burp turned out to be a smooth ordeal - good thing. Without the help of other threads, I would have never let it errupt like that to clear the air pockets.
Last issue to resolve: the idle went up a touch, just over 1000. Everything I read is to check the wires and igniter, hopefully I just knocked something loose. I also wish I had a way to test the belt tighness, but I am sure they are all better than when I started this.

Lastly, I could not have done it without one tool I purchased (photo)- the Cam tool that also aided in the crank. I could have broken my new cam tool by using it on the crank, but I never got around to making a crank tool. This tool did hold the crank to torque it to 181 ft lb - again better than it was when I loosened it.
Happy wrenching!
Attached Thumbnails It is really time to change that timing belt now-im000001-custom-.jpg  
Old 09-06-2006, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!

KG
Old 09-06-2006, 05:30 PM

Thanks KG and everyone else that PM'd
My idle is now perfect, perhaps the computer was learning how it should run rather than with the broken tensioner? Doubt it, but it was worth the laugh.

Prior to this I had the valves done, wish I would have wrenched those myself too, but I was out of town and had someone just take it in for me. Now it runs as smooth as a top, well as smooth as a 3.SLOW.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:50 PM

I seriously read this entire thread at least 3 times. It was so helpful to me! If there are still folks around that posted on this thread, I would appreciate help also. I am doing this exact same job and I need a question answered if possible. The cams, do they HAVE to come off just to change the water pump and belt? When I parked it, the left and right cam lined up exactly at TDC. I haven't taken the crankshaft pulley off yet. It makes me nervous! I haven't bought the upper pulley but I have bought the idler bearing and tensioner as well as the new belt, waterpump, thermostat and some new plugs also. OH! a new radiator too! That is what started this whole endeavor! The 5 inch crack in the top of radiator was thought to be the problem. BOY, was I wrong! Help is much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Starr
..*yes, I'm a girl and I don't mind taking an engine apart especially if its a TOYOTA!*..

Last edited by starrjewel; 09-13-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome, Starr! Dive right in there--it's not a hard job. I always take off the cam pulleys to replace the seals but you don't have to remove them otherwise. Getting the crank bolt loosened and tightened is the hardest part but making this tool makes it much easier. It can be used to hold the cam pulleys while removing or reinstalling the bolts too.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l-tool-186081/

Good luck with the project and ask if anything comes up. There are many folks here who have done 3.0 timing belts and would be happy to help.
Take care,
Bugs