Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

rattle can paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rattle can paint

ok kids... ive been putting this off for too long now. its finally time to paint my rig. ive thought about taking it to the cheapo places like maaco and such but being how ive been in the home painting business for the last ten years, im comfortable with attempting this on my own. i know its 2 different worlds but im confident.

i was going to just use my friends shop and spray it all there, with all his nice equipment, but some of my friends have been talking some serious stuff about doing the good old "rattle can" job. how im dumb for even thinkin it, how its going to look plain ugly, you can imagine.
this brings me to where i am at now. i am totally going to rattle can my rig and show the naysayers that its possible to get a good looking job out of a spray can or two... or twelve. ive seen some nice jobs done here on this site, so that inspires me!

mytruck is in good condition, except for a few minor dents, in which i will plan on trying to pull out, and if not, no worries, i have plenty of bondo on hand.

i went out tonight and bought a bunch of sand paper, bondo, putty, sanding blocks,primer, tack cloths. its too dark right now... so tomorrow i will be throwing on some before, during and after pics up.

but before i go out and buy a buncha cans..im thinking at least a dozen... does anyone here have any good experiences with a certain brand?? i was just going to get whatever paint i can find that is the closet to my OEM paint... red.

thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
plasti-kote!

Last edited by Guardian_Saint; 05-09-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:41 AM

You can color the vehicle with cans of spray paint BUT you will not get the shine due to patches of dry overspray that will occur. I have done something similar by dumping multiple cans of spraypaint into a quart cup spray gun. This way you have better control and will get a better finish. But, the spray stuff is really thin so runs can be expected. Primer should be lacquer based but the stuff on AA's or AZ's parts store shelf is OK. Needs to dry for an entire day to prevent solvent attack on the primer. Primer color should be close as possible to paint color and do not mix brands nor color of primer if possible. After priming, next day use a Scotch Brite pad to knock off the primer overspray. Use a Prep Sol to degrease the surfaces. That is as good as it can get. Have fun.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
do a search here and on google for info on rustoleum roll on paints. They actually come out looking pretty decent if you put the time into it.

just a heads up on the bondo it shouldnt be more than 1/4" thick, and you're better off buying the more expensive stuff. If it needs to be more than 1/4" thick to cover the dent then you need to put something behind it to give it more strength to build on.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:17 AM

rustoleum looks pretty good if done right... you could even do it hammered, if that fits your style...
Old 05-10-2007, 07:30 AM

this is my rattle can job, not to bad imo. i used krylon rust tough semi flat black. what you think? it looks good close up too, theres no lines or anything.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:23 AM

Rattle cans are a really expensive way to paint. Most of the can is propellent. They also have really bad spray patterns. You might consider getting some canned paint and using a cheap spray gun as an alternative.

Duplicolor makes a new line of laquer paint which is cheap and premixed called "Duplicolor Paintshop". The color selection is limited, but if you just want paint on your truck, it might be what you're looking for. Laquer is fairly easy to work with and dries fast. Laquer is not the most durable paint however.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by jmcbmx

this is my rattle can job, not to bad imo. i used krylon rust tough semi flat black. what you think? it looks good close up too, theres no lines or anything.
Same paint i used.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:45 AM

Ive seen a few trucks painted with spray can and they looked pretty good, only thing they were repainting it every 6 months to KEEP it looking good.........
Old 05-10-2007, 12:02 PM

I would also recommend the roll on paint over spray painting. I started painting my 4runner with spray cans but there was more paint in the air then going on the truck, that and my fingers were getting sore and I was getting sloppy with painting. Roll on didnt involve taping off all the windows and misc things that you dont want paint on. If you put the time into it you can get very god results out of it.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:37 PM

well for my newest paintjob I used plasti-kote engine enamel hightemp engine paint.. why??? you may ask. It was the only spray paint that I could find in the colors that I wanted. I think it works very well kinda spendy but I think I spent around 50 bux total so..and it turned out quite well
Old 05-10-2007, 12:45 PM

I rattle canned my Isuzu, And sold it 3 years later without any fading, Of course it was a Flat Grey, But for a flat color it looked great, If you are going for a flat color There is a line of paint called Hot Rod Flatz. I've used about five of their colors in the past and they look amazing, and its only like a $60 paint job. Even if you went for a good one stage, your only looking at about $120 for a good one stage urethane. I painted my Camaro 5 years ago with Crossfire one stage (from NAPA) for about $114 and it still looks great. If you decide to go rattle can pick a good paint. My friend painted his truck with cheap paint from WalMart and it took almost 20 cans, My Isuzu was good rattle can and it only took about 12 cans, So price equaled out...Also for info on the spray can paint job, check out this article...Its a Toyota too!
http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...ff_road_truck/
Old 05-10-2007, 12:59 PM

im considering going rattle can...and i know i can do it no problem, just a lil time consuming and i have other stuff to do..
Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 PM

I did my Isuzu starting at 10 am and done by 4 on a Saturday...Also the Camo paint they talk about in the article as well as ALOT of other paints can be purchased through here for about $20 a case

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/kryl...aint-c9s8.html

Last edited by ShortyzKustomz; 05-10-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ShortyzKustomz
I did my Isuzu starting at 10 am and done by 4 on a Saturday
yea i didnt think it would take more then a day to get it sanded, primed, and atleast one coat of paint...but i still need to take my bed off, clean up the frame, get the lift on, etc...if i do it itll be before i put the herculiner on the bed, and lower portion of the truck...
Old 05-10-2007, 01:11 PM

Thats what Im doing to my Yota as well, Im rattle canning the dark grey then bottom will be bedliner, I like Raptor Liner myself made by U-POL and thats only $112 for a whole kit
Old 05-10-2007, 01:17 PM

Be careful with spray urethane paints. They can be hazardous to your health. They can trigger severe allergy/asthma attacks.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
if ur gunna rattle can it, buy the good paint, not the dollar store paint... i used 8 cans of Krylon Ultra Flat Olive Drab (camouflage series) on mine, and when i get my truck fixed, i'll be repainting with Krylon Ultra Flat Black
Old 05-10-2007, 02:56 PM

wow only 8 cans? how many coats?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:06 PM

I used about 8 cans or so of heavy duty implement paint in a spray can. then had to use a spray nozzle off a Rustoleum can to make the pattern turn out right. didn't get around to finishing off the replacement box.

Quick Reply: rattle can paint