Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

randomly stuttering , missing 22-re

Old 09-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
randomly stuttering , missing 22-re

HI, got a 22re 1993 that the engine will randomly miss a lot.
it happens at any rpm, load , no load , parked , running down the freeway.
sometimes it runs perfectly fine . however most of the time it doesnt
examples:

1. cold start , at idle it will stumble and sound like it missed usually bout every few seconds or less . does it when reving engine up . Usually goes away as i start to drive off and get into second gear the missing stops.

2.warm start after sitting for 20 mins or so ,same symptoms as first example and this seems to be the most common time for the engine missing/stumbling to happen

3. driving down freeway engine all the way warmed up and all the sudden the stumbling, missing will start to happen and lose power due to it and will randomly start working fine again after a while. this will usually happen everytime I drive the truck.

I so far have replaced :
new ngk plugs, cap, wires
different afm airbox
different tps
new fuel filter
all new vacuum lines
seafoam in gas tank and thru brake booster line.

dont really know where to look next. cold start injector ? injectors? coil/igniter some other sensor ?

Last edited by yodapwnedjoo; 12-17-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:24 PM

How many miles on the truck?
Old 09-08-2013, 05:03 PM

No idea , odometer says 328k but was told it was rebuilt recently when I bought it about 2 years ago.
Truck has plenty of power and doesn't smoke or lose oil between changes and when I went to adjust the valves they were all pretty much all in spec and looked very clean.
I havent done a compression test yet though

The only things about the engine (other than the stuttering ) that have me concerned are:
milky oil in the cap and when im coasting in gear i hear a rattling sound that goes away if I apply throttle , Timing chain wearing through?

The oil changes are clean and do not appear to have water in it, nor do i lose water in the radiator ...
Old 09-08-2013, 05:09 PM

I was going to say a sticking valve??? Try runing some seafoam through the booster vacuum line and see if it helps any
Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 PM

Booster vacuum line?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:33 AM

igniter...pull codes... code 14... someone else had same problem see https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...r-loss-272785/
Old 06-18-2023, 06:13 PM

Potential cause yet undetermined, but may have a good idea!

Hi there all, I've been searching through all of this to also attempt to figure out this same type of calamity. My truck is a 1993 Toyota Hilux 2.4L 5spd 4wd. It started about a year ago (i figured it was the plugs, as it conked out on me during a MI-stop, & had to restart)... over time (still didn't change the plugs yet (but got some interesting NGK "G power" plugs from auto value, so will check them out when i get that far... However, in the past month orso, absolutely seemed as tho as it was random, to a degree, which it was. [Idle's typically been 900 rpm, up until it started really buggin me, started cleanin grounds (haven't done the firewall to top block, or the bottom to block off battery, nor the two inside the kicks in the cab (but checked out one & looks alright, nothing out of the ordinary) & the vaf with some maf sensor spray, there was a tidch of grime, then abit of carb cleaner in the throttle plate (abit grungy, as is inside the body), which kicked the idle up to about 1100 for about oh, a week orso, & still did it, like it knew that i was going to coast to a stop sign. Chug out & quit, then a difficult restart w/ pumpong the pedal, but sure feels like a bump issue that would short something out. Normally starts up & runs fine, till randomly, CEL comes on for about idk 10s orso, then about 15-30s later runs rough as hell, no possible acceleration (only hinders it, unless you find that sweet spot for slow gain) & seemed to eventually go away... before I get too far gone into this tangent of a book... i was headin home from a buddies last eve, had my heat slide switch all the way to the right, so, hot, & not even 3-4 miles (mayhap about 7ish mins in a mixed speed rd), cel came on, & ran like dirt (fired right up tho after i sat at my buddies for a good few hours, & it ran like dirt for the whole 7ish miles to there)... so, again, my heater's gettin me warm, then I got too warm, so i switched it to a tidch cooler (so mayhap like 1-2, maybe 3ish little clicks to the left) & noticed that it immediately went away, like magic... so it's possibly shorting out on that adjustment arm behind the control panel (for it's always felt "tight" at the farthest right, hot, setting), to which it had felt like, like it was down a cylinder or two, so it surely felt electrical to me, & after reading abunch of these different posts (somehow maybe combine these infos somehow together in one? Idk), i was gettin into the process of checking behind my glove box for that COR wiring area... (then hindsight sidenote, i did tear everything apart a couple years ago (maybe one, but feels like 2) to get me a pioneer deh-1500 in it over the stock radio, as the antenna hasn't worked in quite awhile, & was plenty content w/ cds/my own mixes). But i do not ever recall moving the heater control part of it... but after last eve, I knew that i had to get this bit of info on here for you guys, I've learned alot from all of this, & felt beyond compelled to get this on here stat incase anyone else had this potential problem, &, when i get that far, i will surely update any/all info on this, providing i can find this post again to reply to it, & somehow place it somewhere where it can be of most benefit to all you guys! 💪😎👍
--- also sidenote, was initially seeking the ground for maybe the fuel pump or rear ground point, to which i kinda was highly searching for, to which i came across that the big wire was cut & no idea where it had went to anything in the rear harness... so i redid that ground to a different point on the frame so it was hopefully all grounded there, idk. But a tidch of info on that (& mayhap amended to the ground points section) would be schweet! Also, as I was under everything, it appeared that i initially though that the harness there by the o2 sensor (like under the driver's ish seat), had some heat fiber wrapped around that part, but it was laying on the bolt stickin out there & i thought that maybe it melted through (which it did through that fiber) but after unravelling & investigating, it all appeared as though it's ok, & it wasn't hung up properly on a cable holder kind of up on the side, so restrung that, so to speak (but thought that was what was causing this odd cut-out in the midst of a bump every so often.). Finally, also, havent't checked the memory CEL codes yet, but haven't disc'd the battery or anything to clear them, so also on the update part of the agenda. But today, sofar so good!