86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question on Reusing Rear Axle Bearings That Have Been Pressed Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner

If bearing is press-fit around a shaft, press only on inner race. Example: Rear Wheel Bearing:

Originally Posted by millball
When a bearing is pressed onto the axle, the bearing is, or should be, pushed on by the application of force ONLY to the inside race.

It is impossible to press a bearing off it's axle and brake back by pressing on the inside race because of the configuration of the assembled parts.

Thanks for both your replies!

So I understand that force should be applied only to the bearing's inner race when being pressed either in or out.

However, it seems to me that even when pressing the bearing out of the bearing case, only the inner race is accesible to application of force, as can be seen below:

I took this image from the following video (I DID NOT follow the shaft smashing procedure illustrated in it!)

Even if one uses an hidraulic press and an SS tool (fabbed or legitimate) to press the axle shaft free from the backing plate, it seems to me that the bearing must be HAMMERED or PUSHED out of the bearing case from the brake side of the backing plate. And as can be seen in the photo above, it's precisely only the inner race which is accessible to application of force.

So I really don't yet understand how could the bearing sustain damage from force being applied to the outer race. :/ ????????

Old 02-06-2019, 04:20 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Unless there is severe corrosion or some sort of severe mechanical deformation of the bearing case, the bearing is a very light fit into the case, and little, or no force is required to get it out of there.

It is the pressing of the bearing on and off the shaft where more force is required.

As I said before, it is the removal of the bearing from the axle where it is impossible to bear on the inner race correctly.

It is plain that you have no expericence with this work, and you are mislead about the relative force required and the sequence required to get it done.

Last edited by millball; 02-06-2019 at 05:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BMarino (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 06:58 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by wallytoo
fwiw, you can get the bearing and seals from low range for a good price.

Item Sku Qty Subtotal
Toyota 1979-2000 Hilux Pickup, 4Runner, Tacoma, T100 Ultimate Rear Wheel Bearing Kit (Per Side)
TAX-RBKU. 1. $65.00 Subtotal $65.00 Shipping & Handling $0.00. Grand Total. $65.00
Originally Posted by BMarino
...However, it seems to me that even when pressing the bearing out of the bearing case, only the inner race is accesible to application of force, as can be seen below:
...So I really don't yet understand how could the bearing sustain damage from force being applied to the outer race...
AAH! now I remember.

Originally Posted by millball
...the bearing is a very light fit into the case, and little, or no force is required to get it out of there.
It is the pressing of the bearing on and off the shaft where more force is required..
This^^^.

Got my bearing kit from Marlin Crawler: IIRC, $60 each, Koyo brand.