86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question - Removing Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Question - Removing Pistons

This may be a weird question. As you can see, I have the engine on a stand. I flipped the engine up-side down and carefully cleaned the piston heads and head bolt holes using purple power, toothbrush (rifle bore cleaning brushes for head bolt holes), and a plastic scraper. I did this upside down so anything that came loose fell to the ground. The cylinders honing (cross hatch marks) are still there and the cylinder walls look fine.

Since I have the engine on the stand I want to inspect the bearings on the bottom end and inspect/clean the rings (in case some purple power is still in there).

My question is: Can I remove the pistons, without compromising the seal or damaging anything, and then just put the pistons back in again if everything checks out ok? I’m worried about losing any type of seal that was there during the break in period of those rings.

This is a picture before cleaning (only one I have), the pistons didn't look too bad, to me anyways, so I'm not suspecting any bad seals prior to taking the engine out. A little history, a preventive maintenance timing chain change turned into a full blown project "while I was in there" kind of deal.

Every picture I've seen after people pulled the head had dirty pistons and carbon build up so I wasn't concerned when I saw these ones. The only other ones I've seen up close and personal were off my v6 gen2 camry and they were already partially steamed cleaned from a blown head gasket.

Last edited by Grego92; 10-24-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If all you want to do is check the bearings, you can just remove the caps and carefully get the bearing out without scuffing the crank. Then just relube and retorque!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:55 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Unbolt the rods I use pieces of fuel line on the rod bolts so you don`t score the crank.

Get the crank at the top of the stroke for the piston your removing tap out with a wooden dowel 1'' or 1 1/2" thick .

I have had rings break removing pistons most all install new rings if the pistons are out.

You will need a ring compressor to install the pistons back in the block from the top down with the crank in a position not to be hit by the rod bolts
Old 10-24-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Grego92
My question is: Can I remove the pistons, without compromising the seal or damaging anything, and then just put the pistons back in again if everything checks out ok? I’m worried about losing any type of seal that was there during the break in period of those rings.
Yes you can, without any worries of damaging a thing(if you follow the appropriate removal/installation procedures). Mostly since there's obviously little to no wear on the cylinder walls. Thus, there won't be any significant ring ridges. Which, if there were, might need removed in order to remove the pistons without breaking any rings(and/or the pistons themselves). Those puppies should slide right in/out of there as easily as they did when they were new.

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-24-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:01 PM

Ok thanks guys. I remember you mudhippy! you helped me with my 2vz-fe head gasket change - still running strong! This is my first time taking an engine block out, so I have newbie questions.

I think I'm going to leave everything alone, it isn't broke, and I don't think any leftover purple power will do anything bad. I think I just wanted to take a "looksy" so I can say I did...or have a reason to replace the bearings....LOL.

I'm actually glad I took the block out because initially I had already put back the oil pan, and the FIPG job wasn't all that great as I noticed after removing it again once the engine was out. Going to do a much better job while it's on the stand this time.

Last edited by Grego92; 10-24-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The amount of Purple Power in your ring lands is going to be minimal. It will not affect your crosshatch or your rings. It will burn off within seconds of the engine running.
You can put some oil around the crown of the piston to add some lubrication to the cylinder wall on startup. The oil will also dilute the Purple Power.
Two or three cc's of oil per cylinder will do.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the reassurance that the purple power won't have any ill affects. Will do with a few drops of oil. Thanks again.