86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question about my 88 4runner motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about my 88 4runner motor mounts

Ok, I was at Toyota talking to my mechanic about my 88 4runner and I have a few questions.

I just got the tps replaced and the timing and idle set exactly where it needs to be. when i put it in park, it idles great. when i put it in drive (automatic) i have a slight shake. I asked my meachanic (who is a friend of the family for 16 years) and he told me the motor mounts are causing that. he said over time they get old and the rubber starts to sag and it makes it have that little shake. now it is not bad don't get me wrong i was just curious what ya'll have to say about that. does anybody else have these issues? do you all recommend changing them out or just leaving it? is it going to hurt anything in the long run? thanks and I did a search and came up empty.

frank
Old 07-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris at Rock Tech recommended replacing the motor mounts when he installed my new engine. He was mentioning today again what a pain it was to install the Downey headers. In that vein he mentioned that the new motor mounts lifted the engine back up from where it had sagged with the old mounts . . . . . taking away a bit of precious space for that pesky passenger side header. No doubt, 15 to 20 year old motor mounts aren't what they used to be. I looked at my old mounts before I threw them away and they definitely looked deformed a bit.

I don't think I would have changed them unless I had changed the engine. I'd just leave them for now. It doesn't sound like you have any problems that require changing them now.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
unless they are physcally damaged (torn etc) id leave em.

FYI they are a diffrent design than later mounts used on the 3vze
Old 07-08-2006, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snorkeldepth
Chris at Rock Tech recommended replacing the motor mounts when he installed my new engine. He was mentioning today again what a pain it was to install the Downey headers. In that vein he mentioned that the new motor mounts lifted the engine back up from where it had sagged with the old mounts . . . . . taking away a bit of precious space for that pesky passenger side header. No doubt, 15 to 20 year old motor mounts aren't what they used to be. I looked at my old mounts before I threw them away and they definitely looked deformed a bit.

I don't think I would have changed them unless I had changed the engine. I'd just leave them for now. It doesn't sound like you have any problems that require changing them now.
ok, thanks for that. that is what he was saying too but i am used to driving an 05 tacoma, not an 88 4runner. it is just something i am going to have to get used to.

frank