86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pulling codes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Pulling codes?

Did some looking and couldn't find a picture of what I'm looking for. I'm trying to pull the engine codes on my 89 4runner and the little connections (T1 and T2?) that I'm supposed to jumper are not in the same location that they are on my 86 pickup. On the truck they are on the drivers side inner fender wall, on the runner they aren't there. Both have 22re's and 5 speeds and I thought they'd be in the same place. The PO told me the CEL came on shortly after the emissions test and he had a mechanic pull codes and it came up as a bad O2 sensor. So I need to find out how to pull the code to verify this.

Oh and I went out to fix an exhaust leak only to find out that there are no gaskets at the flange and it was being held together by one nut instead of all three. The other two nuts aren't even there. I'm also wondering if the exhaust leak may be causing the O2 sensor (if that's the problem) to kick on the CEL since it's way down past the cat?

I have the gaskets and will be buying a stud kit tomorrow. Then if I can get the CEL to turn off I'll be going to get the emissions done so I can transfer the title to my name.

Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
computers and wiring changed in 87 so...

find the diagnostic plug behind the battery, flip the lid open... insert a jumper between the TE1 and E1 terminals.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 PM

looks like this or similar (thanks 4Crawler):
Old 02-24-2009, 03:12 PM

An exhaust leak can cause the O2 to read a lean condition since the exhaust gasses passing over the leak (even though they cause some exhaust to escape) can draw in air from outside (Bernoulli effect a.k.a. venturi effect) into the exhaust stream.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:17 PM

Thanks Abe, you're the man. I inserted the jumper and got 1, 2, 7 and 1. I'm guessing 12 and 71?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:25 PM

'87 is a two-digit code system, iirc, so it would seem yes, 12 and 71.
if it is a two-digit system, there would be a short pause between the 1 and 2 flashes and a longer pause between the 2 and 7, then a short pause between the 7 and 1, then a long pause before the next 1 flash then a short pause before the 2 flash...

I'll pull the codes up and reply shortly.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:27 PM

okay wait... my guide show 87 as a single code flash....
so 12 would be 12 flashes.
... a 1 flash would be normal...
Old 02-24-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
'87 is a two-digit code system, iirc, so it would seem yes, 12 and 71.
if it is a two-digit system, there would be a short pause between the 1 and 2 flashes and a longer pause between the 2 and 7, then a short pause between the 7 and 1, then a long pause before the next 1 flash then a short pause before the 2 flash...

I'll pull the codes up and reply shortly.
Yup that's what it was. Short pause between 1 and 2, longer pause between the 2 and 7 and then a short pause again between the 7 and 1. Then a long pause before it starts over again.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:29 PM

duh... it's an 89... slap me!
I'll give you some time to harrass and otherwise ridicule me.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:30 PM

okay wait... my guide show 87 as a single code flash....
so 12 would be 12 flashes.
... a 1 flash would be normal...
?? I'll go pull the codes again and verify the length of pause. So if it's single digit the I have codes 1, 2, 7 and 1 again?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:31 PM

*SMACK*
Old 02-24-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
harassment and ridicule

geez abe... looks like you need to clea out the brain a lil bit because all that info is gettin mixed up...
Old 02-24-2009, 03:40 PM

There....
"Harrass Me" time is over....

12= missing NE signal to ECU within 2 seconds of starting to crank the engine. Means that the ECU got the STA (start) signal from the ignition switch but did not receive an RPM signal from the Igniter within 2 seconds.
71= EGR gas temp below limit during EGR operation. Means that the EGR valve opened and the temp sensor didn't get warm enough.

71 most likely cause is carbon build up in the passages to the EGR valve restricting the flow and allowing the gas to cool off too much before it gets to the temp sensor.
12 most likely cause is... well the ECU gets the NE signal from the ignitor. If the NE signal gets to the ECU eventually, then... you're not getting a 13 which is no NE to ECU when rpm's are above 1500... so maybe you have a dirty connector to the ignitor.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:56 PM

There....
"Harrass Me" time is over....

12= missing NE signal to ECU within 2 seconds of starting to crank the engine. Means that the ECU got the STA (start) signal from the ignition switch but did not receive an RPM signal from the Igniter within 2 seconds.
71= EGR gas temp below limit during EGR operation. Means that the EGR valve opened and the temp sensor didn't get warm enough.

71 most likely cause is carbon build up in the passages to the EGR valve restricting the flow and allowing the gas to cool off too much before it gets to the temp sensor.
12 most likely cause is... well the ECU gets the NE signal from the ignitor. If the NE signal gets to the ECU eventually, then... you're not getting a 13 which is no NE to ECU when rpm's are above 1500... so maybe you have a dirty connector to the ignitor.

Ok EGR passages I can do, I think. I'm guessing I can pull it off and clean the tubes?

This is where you realize how dumb I am, what is NE and where abouts is the ignitor so I can check the connection? It does idle pretty damn fast both cold and warm if that helps. I don't have a tach in it yet (waiting on the SR5 cluster) so I can't tell you what the rpms are.

Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:59 PM

well you know the EGR valve is on the back side of the engine, on the same side as the intake manifold (22r/re) so that shouldn't be an issue.
NE is a signal generated by the distributor pick-up coil. It is connected to the Igniter (sits on top of the ignition coil- little black box that says 'igniter' on top).... Need I say more?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:29 PM

Ok I found the ignitor and the connections were a little sloppy. I clicked them back together and will pick up some electric grease tomorrow when I get the exhaust stud kit. I pulled the battery cable for a few minutes and when I started it back up the CEL didn't come back on. I'm guessing I need to drive it for a while for it to come back on? I'll drive it to work this week after the exhaust is fixed and see if it comes back on.

Thanks again Abe. Man do you work on these things for a living or something? I only ask since you seem to know a hell of a lot about them.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:33 PM

My truck is my DD so I pay attention to everyting about it.
Oh, and Sin91's truck is her DD so I'm even more retentive.
(please, no comments about anal rentiveness).
Old 02-24-2009, 04:41 PM

My truck is my DD so I pay attention to everyting about it.
Oh, and Sin91's truck is her DD so I'm even more retentive.
(please, no comments about anal rentiveness).
No comments at all from me. I guess I got lucky in that my 86 pickup is my DD and I haven't had any problems at all with it so far. I'm hoping the 4runner will be the same sort of rig after all the little things are fixed.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:51 PM

The 71 code will require some driving, at least enough to cause the EGR system to be engaged.
The 12 code... well?... if the engine starts soon enough, that code should'nt get thrown.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:11 PM

The 71 code will require some driving, at least enough to cause the EGR system to be engaged.
The 12 code... well?... if the engine starts soon enough, that code should'nt get thrown.
The engine starts and runs, although with a fast idle, with one bump of the key. Can I eliminate the EGR and avoid the 71 code? I can plate it off like I did with the truck if it'll help.

Last edited by Junkers88; 02-24-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Pulling codes?