Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Pulling a camping trailer with 95 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling a camping trailer with 95 4Runner

Just curious if anyone here pulls a small camper or travel trailer??

I am seriously considering a 15 foot toy hauler camper from these guys
http://dunesport.com/index.php
I'm pretty sure I could tow it but it would be rough on the 3.slow

I guess if i'm gonna keep the Runner i might have a good excuse to drop in the 4.0 Lexus engine.

N-e how if you pull a rig with your Yota put up some pictures s I can get some ideas
Old 11-11-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would never consider pullin a 15ft trailer, let alone a toy hauler with my yota. is your a 3.0 or 22re? looks liek itd be in constant strain. thats what comes to mind with me, but i amy be wrong.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:15 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts

Now....that yoda has a solid front and a Ford mustang 5.0 in it, but he said he used to pull that camper when it was a stock truck with a 22re.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That trailer looks to be around 3,500 lbs dry. Loaded down with ATV would be over 4k. I would not. *IF I DID*, however, I would get a weight distribution hitch, take er out of O/D and take it nice and slow. Will it do it, probably yes. Is it safe, probably not IMO
Old 11-11-2010, 10:42 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by HupDogDaddy
I guess if i'm gonna keep the Runner i might have a good excuse to drop in the 4.0 Lexus engine.
or just regear
Old 11-11-2010, 11:26 AM

I don't know much about the 3.0 runners but my 86 22r towed a 20ft boat up parleys canyon a while back without to much trouble. but i would just be careful and not go 75 i've seen way to many flipped vehicles like tahoes because they were going to fast and started to sway and the vehicle isn't stiff enough to control it and they end up rolling. Id go for it just take it easy.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:05 PM

I think that one of the small Featherlite trailers might be ok.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:22 PM

here is the ultimate RV
Old 11-23-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
That trailer looks to be around 3,500 lbs dry. Loaded down with ATV would be over 4k. I would not. *IF I DID*, however, I would get a weight distribution hitch, take er out of O/D and take it nice and slow. Will it do it, probably yes. Is it safe, probably not IMO

I like that guy's advice.

I used to tow a 34 foot long Airstream with a half-ton Tahoe. It was never a problem; there are products available to help you out.

Like Victor said, a weight distributing hitch is worth its weight in gold. For me, this is a must-have item. PM me if you want to know more about how they install and work. Look around Craigslist if you want one cheap. Anti-sway systems are also a great investment. Trust me, you'll be wishing you had these when you've got white knuckles fighting a steering wheel all over three lanes of traffic with an out-of-control trailer that can't decide which ditch it wants to put you in.

I would also highly recommend the Air Lift 1000 air bags for the rear coils. These airbags are installed inside your rear coil springs, and can be inflated/deflated with a hose that mounts to your bumper (or they sell an on-board system). You air the bags up to 35 PSI, hitch up to your trailer, then deflate to level your vehicle. They keep you from swaying because the trailer can't cause your truck to bounce very much. They're pretty affordable. See this link here.
These bags will basically temporarily increase your rear coils' capacity by 1000 pounds.

Also, do you have a transmission cooler? This could be a good time for an upgrade. You'll need to keep that tranny cool under the added stress of towing that beast.

The trailer has brakes, right? I didn't take the time to look it over on the site. I know my 4Runner probably wouldn't stop that thing. Get a power brake controller, so your trailer can help you stop itself. You don't want that thing to push you out into an intersection when a yellow light just doesn't last long enough.

I'm planning on towing my 14 foot travel trailer this spring. I've never towed it before with the 4Runner ('92, 3.0 Auto), so I've been thinking about these things a lot, lately.

Good luck! Hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:37 AM

I tried a 7.5 foot import camper, 1,000 lbs dry (and I used it dry) on my '92 ext cab 4x4 with 3.0 v6 and 5 speed.

I took it on precisely one trip and sold it. My truck can pull that weight in the box without being too slow, but it can't pull that kind of weight when it's a 6.5 foot wide and 2.5 feet higher than the cab and pushing all that air. lots of screaming up hills on the highway (mountains) in 3rd doing 80 or less. I can handle being a bit slow, it was only up the hills that there were problems, but other drivers were pushing the passing way past the end of the lanes and almost getting in head-ons right inf ront of me. I don't want to die (yet), so the camper is gone. Maybe a pop-top one in the future?

As for trailers, my truck struggles a little on the highway but keeps up when I have my boat hooked up (1,110 lbs boat, 3-400 lbs trailer (estimated)).

I wouldn't go any higher.

31's, all else is stock.

Last edited by KZRider; 11-23-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by razed
some thing to consider- if you need a weight dist hitch, either:
a) the trailer is poorly designed
b) the tow vehicle isn't rated for it
c) your a redneck and won't take no for an answer
Sorry, man, but you don't know what you're talking about.

A weight-distributing hitch is designed to keep equal pressure on all four corners of the tow vehicle so it steers and brakes predictably. A weight-distributing hitch isn't so you can tow a trailer that's heavier than you should. It's so you can tow a trailer without compromising your ability to steer and brake like normal. It also provides a good measure of anti-sway.

Go look in a dictionary and define "your" and "you're" before you call somebody a redneck.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by RE-RE

Now....that yoda has a solid front and a Ford mustang 5.0 in it, but he said he used to pull that camper when it was a stock truck with a 22re.
might have the power to pull it but that truck does not have the wheel base or the brakes to handle that trailer, even if he had an electric brake controller...bad idea

some thing to consider- if you need a weight dist hitch, either:
a) the trailer is poorly designed
b) the tow vehicle isn't rated for it
c) your a redneck and won't take no for an answer

Toyota, i think, says a 3.0 4runner is rated for 3000 pound max tow. If you go over that you are breaking laws, probably within your state and maybe federal but who nows. federal US says any trailer gross over 1500 pounds (or was it 1000?) has to have brakes and a safety that applys the brakes if the trailer becomes separated from the tow vehicle. this means that either the trailer has 'surge' brakes or the tow bvehicle has an electric brake controller and the trailer has a fully charged batter and functionsl break away system.
I totally disagree with you about the weight distribution hitch.
I have been towing crap for 25+ years, a weight distribution hitch is just common sense. if I tow my camp trailer (4500 lb)with my Tahoe (rateed for 7500lbs, e-brake controller and airbags) with out the weight distribution I can tell, throw on the distribution and don't know the trailer is there.

I do agree with you about the rating of the 3.0. I towed a small trailer with my niece's 94 4Runner..I would not tow a trailer the size the OP is talking about...
Old 11-23-2010, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're right, while a WD hitch doesn't reduce the tongue weight, but it does distribute the weight over the entire vehicle, not just the rear bearings and suspension. My 12k dry travel trailer weighs 1,200 at the tongue. 1,200lb is a LOT on the rear end of anything. That also takes a BUNCH of the front of the vehicle. Suppose a WD hitch distibutes 30% of that to the front of the vehicle, restoring some of that weight. Now we only have about 840lbs on the rear and the rest on the front wheel bearings, brakes, and tires. That restores steering and braking. Nevermind sway control which is just as necessary with a 40' bumper pull travel trailer. A WD hitch will improve the safety of almost any bumper pull trailer, except for the lightest trailers. On our 4runners, I would want as much weight on the front steering and braking tires as possible. Not saying 3,500 lbs is safe for it, but it's the safest with one for sure.

we don't have to agree.

a wd hitch, which should also be used with sway control, is only intended to aid stability not increase the load you can pull. if you need a wd hitch, the trailer tongue is too heavy, the trailer is loaded incorrect or the trailer was improperly designed, and the wd hitch only hides that.
also, legally speaking tongue weight is just that and using a wd hitch doesn't change that. a trailer hitch is not supposed to be loaded above its rating.

i hear you there.

Last edited by vasinvictor; 11-23-2010 at 06:46 PM.