Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Project 4Rescue:

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
nice lookin rig!!! i'm moving back to the NW.. we;ll have to go wheelin sometime!
Old 07-22-2007, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lspv

so here is what i did to fix this problem: i took the part that has the threaded rod for adjustment, an cut off the threaded rod. I bought a piece of 7/16 threaded rod from lowe's, and drilled and tapped the swiveling part so that I could screw the rod into it. I used thread lock and a lock nut to hold it in place. I can take pictures if that is horribly unclear...
Old 07-22-2007, 04:44 PM

Tofer: I'd love to go wheelin, drop a line.

ToyPOwer: That sounds really straight forward and easy enough.

I drove out to Maupin over Mt. Hood this weekend, and man the truck rides SO much better, fully loaded with 3 peoples gear for rafting and camping for 2 nights, the springs came down to just about level with the front so they're great for hauling the loads I cary. I'd swear that I was holding higher speeds than I usualy do cause I wasn't bouncing/banging all over the rough roads.

Cheers

Dave
Old 07-22-2007, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does that ome company have a web site?

thanks!
Old 07-23-2007, 12:33 PM

Well, the TJM deal was in a link on Lamm's build-up thread. says the TJM is going for around 445 or something...

Here it is:

Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
Pros:
-incresed protection
-great looks
-secure mount for lights, antenna and winch

Cons:
-expensive
-heavy
-rusts easily

Best place to get them IMO is:
http://www.4by4connection.com/toyota7.html

Install involves removal of stock bumper and valence as well as frame end cups. Then you use 12 bolts to secure the bumper bracket to the frame and 6 bolts to hold the bumper to the bracket. You will need a friend or two, its a heavy PITA.

I did run into a problem this time. The rear frame nut on the lower, passenger side broke while I was putting the bolt in. So I only have 11 bolts holding it 1 bolt stuck loose in the frame. I'm not sure how to fix this so any input would be great. Its plenty sturdy, but I won't use that towhook or winch with it (if I had a winch).

Enjoy, and feel free to comment or ask questions.

Lamm
Cheers

Dave
Old 07-23-2007, 12:47 PM

truck looks great man. no doubt. lift looks perfect. good job.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:42 AM

Dave, that $4xx TJM bumper is the T-17 which is like Lamm's but without the hoops. I have one and like it. It's much lighter than the hooped version. My only complaint with it is approach angle because the shackle hangers are very low. But, I wheel it pretty hard and haven't had any trouble with it after having it for awhile. Here's a few pics (except now I have a winch in there):

Maybe if I finally got around to lifting like you did then the approach angle won't be so bad .
Old 07-24-2007, 05:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I predict something like this in my truck's future. I'm rolling on a torsion cranked front and it's not very fun. my ball joints are not happy with me
Old 07-24-2007, 11:10 PM

Amgrahm: I like that bumper, I'm wondering if I could possibly weld a hoop on later of my own design. I like your truck man , I've been looking at it for some time. I'd fully suggest you lift it using this same set-up, it is really nice, adn the ride is TO DIE FOR!!!! I think I need to get myself one fo those bumpers. I really don't do any really hardcore rock crawling, but I do like my approach angle...

Cheers

Dave
Old 07-25-2007, 04:51 AM

Thanks man. Yeah, it's definitely a good platform to build off of if you want to do custom hoops (I may do that at some point). It's very sturdy though and I use those corners to wiggle past trees and rocks and haven't even scratched through the powdercoat. I think it was $480 shipped when I got it last October through knowwhere2jeep.com.

But yeah, I'm gonna find a set of BJ spacers and get some OME springs after seeing your truck. I'm ok with the ride right now but I do bottom out if I hit a good bump. Plus some more clearance won't hurt.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:57 PM

Diesel - how much did you pay for the rear springs? I've been contemplating new rears but haven't seen any prices for OME stuff.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:17 AM

they were like 170 a piece.. not exactly cheap, but having FLOGGED THE PISS out of more than a few land Cruisers in Australia all equiped with OME suspensions, I have nothing but good things to say about their stuff. It really is worth it. I can't say anough good about Strapp22 (that's his screen name here on the board) or Trdparts4u.com they got all my questions answered and got me my stuff REALLY quickly. Not to mention they have very good prices on everything.

Cheers

Dave
Old 07-26-2007, 05:44 AM

Hmm, that may be a winter savings project for me. Your truck looks badass, though, and since mine is the same color grey I've got a good idea of what it would look like.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:10 PM

Well, I broke down today and took her out to the trail... I really wanted to see how the new suspension worked in the dirt... IT ROCKS!!!! I have alot more clearance at the rockers and in front now and it flex's pretty damn well. I never relly got it stuffed, and since I went alone (yeah I know it's dumb, but I didn't try anything real hard) I only have some poser pics off my Phone. I went up to Stevenson by the Brige of the GOds on the Washington side of the Gorge if anyone around here knows where that is. There is a really steep and tight little creek crossing that I was a little nervous about at first, but the truck just walked right though it, man I love this truck...

Next on teh agenda are the 33's 4.88's and a locker, I would have made it up one section of trail I have been trying for a year if I had another person with me, but I didn't want to risk it.

I actualy did my first bit of real rock crawling today in a nice skree field of basketball sized and larger boulders, and I gotta say, for an IFS rig, it did REALLY well. I came to a point where the rocks were just too big, but it climed some I wasn't sure it could. Good ol Toyota...

anyway, here are the poser shots.

Edit: Pics fixed... These are now technicaly oldies now...

Cheers and No worries

Dave

Last edited by Diesel_Freak; 07-14-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:30 AM

The pics don't work.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RU55ELL
The pics don't work.
The thread is 2 years old and probably removed from photobucket. Check the dates.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:00 PM

Whoops. He had a link in his sig on ExPo and I didn't look to see how old it was.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
All good...welcome to YotaTech!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:04 PM

I actually movd the pics/re-named them so I need to update Photobucket. I'll do it when I get home tonight. Glad to see you over here too mate.

Cheers

Dave
Old 07-14-2009, 12:51 PM

So I fixed the old pics from when I first put the suspension on, and the truck was running 31's. This is the truck about a day befvore I put the new tires on.

The 31's served me well for the last 5 years but in the end they were completely shot and I had to get new tires so...

Now, I'll update this a bit: This is with the new 33's.

I haven't done the gears yet, but 4.88's and probably Toyota LSD's F/R (from a Celica Supra 7.5" and a Supra 8" respectivly I think...) as soon as I can find some. I REALLY need the 4.88's now as the hills are torture on the littel 4 banger unless I just gear down and hold 45mph on long grades. And I haven't even loaded her down and gone explorting with the new tires yet, just some loacl trails to see how they feel. the 33's are GREAT out on the trail on this truck though, lots of ground clearence gained as my old 31's were almost 29.75" when I replaced them. maybe that had something to do with all fo the rock cuts I got in them on their last trip... For what it's worth, the OME suspension has been AMAZING. You can see in the pics that it's still sitting high in the rear and that's fine becasue when I laod it up it sits level and rides great. I'm thinking I'll end up running the OME T-bars as well when I get around to putting a front bumper and sliders on her.

This truck has been amazing really, for everything I do with it. It will go places it has no business being and when I get there I can sleep in the back like a king... In facxt the worst thing about getting soem form of traction aid in this thing is tat I will then be able to get her stuck in places that will require a very specialized from of recovery vehicle you know It never amazes how, if you know what you're doign and how to drive in the dirt, this truck very rarely stops going forward and over everything I point it at. I'm always expecting to get hung up an things but she squeeks on through adn keeps going... I love this truck. The 33's just round out the package for me and make it sit and ride perfect. Next time I go out I will try to member the camera.

Cheers

Dave

Quick Reply: Project 4Rescue: