Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Problems w/ a 86 4Runner I looked at today

Old 10-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Problems w/ a 86 4Runner I looked at today

Well, just let me say, it was in cherry condition and the same in color...red...but for a dd, I could live w/ it.

It obviously needs a timing chain, slap slap slap slap slap w/ the engine speed and goes away going down the highway and the front seal leaks, but that would be fixed when replacing the timing chain, water pump, etc.

The other thing was that this didn't have the get up and go enough to break wind. The tranny would shift through the gears from a dead stop (automatic) when you stomped it by 10 mph...no winding out the gears and I switched between the "power" and "normal" ect buttons and played w/ the overdrive button. Gears seemed fine if you shifted them manually, but by themselves...sucked like Tennesse.

Everything else seemed to be okay or fixable, but what do you think is wrong w/ the auto tranny?

He still wants too much money for it, but I'll let him stew on it a few days and see if he'll take less cause anybody who drives it is going to notice the poor shifting IMMEDIATELY...it wouldn't take off for nothing...did fine once it got up to speed...but absolutely no winding out the gears at all.

130K, automatic, red w/ barf interior, but in great shape otherwise, 1 owner. It would make a nice daily driver after the timing junk was fixed if I knew what was wrong w/ the tranny.

Thank for any input and light anyone can shed on the tranny.

Old 10-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that is just the way the auto is with a 4 banger.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Banned

OMG, if that is true, they suck. 10 mph and it was in overdrive.

It was in nice shape though inside and out. Even had the OEM jack crap and a nice dirt dobber nest on one side of the gas tank, so it must have sat a while too. I can't believe the fool that detailed the crap out of it w/ armor all didn't bother to at least WASH that off...idiots.

Old 10-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

I test drove an SR5 95 V6 with an auto and then decided to buy a brand new 99 with a 2.7 and a 5 speed.

Even the FJ-62 is pretty slow. I test drive an 85 FJ-60 and that was alot pep-ier.

I really think that is just the way it is. Easy to convert to a manual tranny, all bolt in parts.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Banned

The whole idea though is to have an automatic so the wife could drive it if need be...I could swap it out later to manul. How much you think that would cost?

I still can't believe it would shift that quickly up the gears unless it has a bad ECT ECU or something. Tranny didn't feel bad, just no pep or power at low speeds, at higher speeds it was fine.

Old 10-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

I have no idea. I guess you could add that to your list of stuff wrong and try to get the guy down.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
I have no idea. I guess you could add that to your list of stuff wrong and try to get the guy down.
He told me about it before I even drove it, so he knows something is wrong w/ the tranny...he still wanted $2300 cash...just walked away and said "thank for your time."

Old 10-27-2005, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
That definitely sounds like a bad ECU or converter, leaning toward the ECU if its shifting that fast. Might also be a bad speed sensor which is a cheap fix.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rwmorrisonjr
That definitely sounds like a bad ECU or converter, leaning toward the ECU if its shifting that fast. Might also be a bad speed sensor which is a cheap fix.
I am not sure about this, but I think the tranny doesn't rely on the ECU or speed sensor for shifting. Doesn't it use hydraulic pressure to figure out when to shift (pressure increase with engine RPMS and changes with engine load)?

Again, totally not sure, just thought that's how it worked. If anyone could clarify?

About the converter...I don't think that's it either b/c the converter only takes care for x1-2 multiplication (x1.3 for 3rd gens) so the tranny shouldn't be shifting to 4th @ 10mph, something is seriously wrong.

By my n00b diagnosis, something is probably wrong with the trans valve body?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Banned

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ranny+problems
Old 10-28-2005, 04:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wise and masterful bamachem says:

me thinks the wabbit needs to finish one headache before attaining another head and loosing a wife in the process.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
wise and masterful bamachem says:

me thinks the wabbit needs to finish one headache before attaining another head and loosing a wife in the process.
I am going to have to agree. But I'm also willing to buy it off him when he's done, for what he has in it.

But yes, you are treading on thin ice here.

Remember how much money you were going to save over your 3rd Gen? Our FJ needs to go back in to have the t-case all re-sealed. Old stuff wears out. The technology in the 80's was not anywhere near where it is today.

But if you can get the guy down and just fix minimally what is wrong and drive it, NOT MOD it. I'll take it off you when you are done. For what you have in it.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:10 AM
Banned

Here is what it needs that I know of:
New timing chain and do the water pump and the whole deal while you are in there
R/R radiator leak
Auto tranny problem - who knows

I think it needs about $2K worth of work to become dependable...

If it is still sitting there in a week, I'm sure some idiot will buy it cause it LOOKS good, I'll go by and offer him $1K and tell him what all is wrong w/ it.

Typical used car salesman garbage trying to sell a turd and knows it is a turd...I just feel sorry for the young male fool that buys it...cause it is a looker.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so, you'd spend $1k-$1500 on it and then another $2k on it to get it dependable, and to boot, you don't like the interior or the exterior.

you don't think it's a decent buy, but the body is good.

what am i missing here?!? are you just burning to spend more money? wait, be paitent, and you'll find a gem of a 1st gen that you won't have to sink a ton of money into and it will be more suited for your likes and dislikes.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

too much $$$
hell, SAS an auto 2nd Gen for the wife to drive and you can haul the fam
Old 10-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Brian, I had an 86 X-cab 22re with the auto tranny that did the exact same thing. I never figured out what was wrong with it, since I traded it in for a 99 Taco, but perhaps it was an issue with those auto trannys? Just a thought. Sounds like you've already made up your mind. At one point I was going to keep the truck and convert it to manual, but I decided to just bail on it and get something newer. Anyway, I think perhaps Bamachem might just be right....
Old 10-28-2005, 06:34 PM
Banned

Oh, don't worry folks, I was just investigating...I ain't buying unless the price comes WAY DOWN...but some idiot will buy it like it is and get shafted...probably this weekend.

I got other fish to fry.