86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

problems with starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
problems with starter

so my original Toyota starter went bad so i replaced it with a kragen starter and it worked for one day so i brought it back and exchanged it for another and that one only worked for a day also. the second one kragens tested on there machine and it worked but it wont work on my truck unless i beat on it with a metal pipe.

so my question is. is there testing machine right and something else is making the starter not work in my truck or did they give me the wrong starter? it looked the same as my old one.

so anyway i got my money back because im tired of dealing with the ppl at kragens so im probably going to buy one from napa on monday.

oh its for a 1987 4runner 22re 5 spd

any input on this would be great. Thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you diagnose it to be your starter? Or did you just replace it? It sounds to me like the problem isn't your starter at all.

I would rule out all the easy, simple things first. Do a voltage test on your battery, first at rest, then under load. The voltage shouldn't drop too much when you go to start it, and should come right back up to over 12 volts as soon as you let go of the key.

While you're there, make sure you don't have any corroded or loose battery connections.

If that checks out, make sure your grounds are all good, namely the large ground to your motor block.

If that is good, you can check your relay resistance using a multi-meter. Check both the primary and secondary sides.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:34 PM

well if you have to beat on it then id say that the gear on yuor starter is not lineing up with the flywheel id check the flywheel for rounded teeth or you need to put shims under the starter
Old 05-04-2010, 09:20 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's b/c if it's not a Denso, it's scrap metal...

NO ONE should EVER get an aftermarket STARTER!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
That's b/c if it's not a Denso, it's scrap metal...

NO ONE should EVER get an aftermarket STARTER!
QFT. The OEM starter definitely is one tough little nut.

OP's original starter probably just needed new contacts.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 AM

When you turn the key can you hear the gear popping out to engage the flywheel (loud click) and its just not turning the engine over or is there just nothing going on? Also, did you clean the positive lead from the battery to your starter before re attaching? Do all your dash lights light up properly? Do they dim alot when you turn the key?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:08 AM

The problem is your solenoid is not getting enough juice from the starter solenoid wire. See link below. You can use a jumper wire from your battery to the connection on the starter to "jump it" to test it.

Aftermarket rebuilt starters are still Toyota starters, and are still good if they were rebuilt properly. You should never buy a new Toyota starter, that would be retarded $$$$$$.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#OtherOptions
Old 05-04-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by chubbydude
Aftermarket rebuilt starters are still Toyota starters, and are still good if they were rebuilt properly. You should never buy a new Toyota starter, that would be retarded $$$$$$.
I beg to differ. Here's an image ilostmypants took when he swapped out the aftermarket crap starter that came with his truck with the beatup old OEM one I gave him (I think it's the original one from my truck, but my truck came with two OEM starters with worn contacts because the PO didn't know what was wrong with either, I fixed one and am using it, gave him the other), he had to replace the contacts and that was that. Left is aftermarket, right is OEM. Notice how the housing is subtly different? You might have to take a closer look. The aftermarket ones look pretty similar, but they are not the same. This one is a NAPA if I recall what ilmp told me.

Here's what the contacts and plunger looked like in his aftermarket one. Every picture I've seen of various people's OEM starters has not had contact wear like this. The plunger lip looks way too wide too.

As for replacing it with a "new" OEM one, why bother? The contacts are all that seem to go in these things. ilmp took the one I gave him down to base components and really only found minimal wear (depending on which truck the starter originally came out of it has either 140k or 200+k miles on it). Even the starter and alt shop I go to pretty much told me the only reason they ever even see these starters in the shop is because the contacts are worn and warned me against aftermarket replacements. The plungers are cheap and usually last way longer than the contacts too, ilmp replaced the one in his but I just had mine turned on a lathe to flatten out the contact area.

Last edited by Magnusian; 05-04-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:14 PM

I did say "aftermarket rebuilt starters" meaning rebuilt OEM core starters. I would be leary about aftermarket "new" starters as you indicated.

Yes I agree the contacts are the wear item, and Toyota starters will last a long time.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:49 PM

i ended up getting a napa rebuilt one, and so far its fine. if it goes bad ill just rebuild it myself. its still a toyota starter, it may just need a rebuilt later on.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:53 PM

If you have a voltage drop in your solenoid wire a fresh starter will initially work in your truck fine for a few weeks or months. Then once the starter is "broken in" the solenoid may require a bit more voltage, and then you will have intermittent starting problems again. This is what happened in my case 7 or so years ago, so if yours is the same, the problem is the voltage drop. Since you tried 2 other starters, which the one bench tested fine, the problem is most likely a voltage drop in the solenoid wire if the battery and ground connections are good. Cheap easy fix.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by 85toy
i ended up getting a napa rebuilt one, and so far its fine. if it goes bad ill just rebuild it myself. its still a toyota starter, it may just need a rebuilt later on.
It will likely -never- need a rebuild for next century or so, but it will need new contacts from time to time.