Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Problem solving axle seal / bearing etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem solving axle seal / bearing etc

I purchased a 1994 Toyota 4runner recently.
Apparently the rear wheel bearings were recently done I知 not sure if it was by the previous owner or the owner prior to him.
I purchased it off a Toyota mechanic who had put a reconditioned motor in less than 5000km ago.
Anyways I致e searched and read a lot of forums and a lot of youtube videos. I知 just trying to work out why my axle bearings / seals have failed.
I noticed what appeared to signs of axle oil on the rear brake drum assembly where the axle bolts on. I took the wheel off and saw where oil had dribbled out of one of the drum holes.
So yesterday I drained the axle. There was only 1.8-1.9 litres of oil in there as opposed to the 2.2 that should have been there. I pulled the axle. The bearing and seals look reasonably new, the bearing feels good. What was strange was this sealant / gasket material moulded to the axle shaft over the snap ring to the top of the collar.
Today I peeled the sealant off and found it had seeped behind the snap ring etc, it still appeared to be flush in the snap ring groove.
It appears that there is also some sort of sealant at the bottom of the collar.

Any ideas what has caused the bearing / seals to fail? I値l be replaced seals and bearing anyways.

I can't work out why gasket sealer has been placed on the shaft.

I checked the diff breather and it痴 working fine.
Attached Thumbnails Problem solving axle seal / bearing etc-image.jpeg   Problem solving axle seal / bearing etc-image-1-.jpeg   Problem solving axle seal / bearing etc-image-2-.jpeg  
Old 04-21-2014, 08:34 AM

My guess is that the PO was trying to seal that inner oil seal with some type of additional sealant material. I have read mixed information on the brand of inner oil seal to use, with some people saying OEM won't do and then others saying to get Marlin or whatever other brand. I went with OEM and am in the process of installing. However, I saw an illuminating video for a 3rd generation axle seal job comparing the inner oil seals and there was a great variation between their sealing ability, physical properties, and flexibility. So if the PO used junk brand parts then maybe they failed.

Either way, this doesn't look like an FSM job, I see odd clues here.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:20 PM

Yeah I saw that video, it was quite interesting seeing the flex in the seal with the bearing.

The old bearing is "GMB" I went in this morning and got an OE bearing and seals. Now to ring around to see whose going to charge a reasonable price to push the old bearing off and install the new one.

Local Toyota service centre quoted $270nz which is about $230us and that was just the labour and I was taking the axle to them. The 2 seals and bearing and bearing spacer/collar cost me $230nz /$200us.

I'm tempted to go buy a cheap press and do it all myself.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:56 PM

Do it your self . Easy . To get old bearing off . Take c clip off shaft . Put a piece of hard wood or aluminum on the ground . Your going to be hitting the end of the axle shaft on it so you want it to give a little cushion but not to much. Take off all brake stuff. Put on some thick gloves cause it will shock your hands a little.
Grab the brake backing plate on sides and slam the end of the axle shaft " the end with the splines" down on the wood or aluminum . Might take 5 or 6 tries. The axle shaft will come out of the top of the plate and the bearing will fall down the shaft. Put in new seal on brake side. Slide axle shaft back in , stand axle up on ground. Slide new bearing and use a 1 3/4 pipe or tubing 1 or 2 feet long as a slide hammer up and down axle shaft to get bearing and collar pressed on. Put on new snap ring . New seal in housing. Easy cheesy . Ive done it this way lots of times.

Last edited by james92toy; 04-21-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:19 AM

So I took the axle in and got the old bearing removed. Turns out there was locktite used on the old one not sure if it was around the outside of the bearing or near the collar and the axle. They had to heat it up to remove it.

Anyways I got home with the new bearing and seal and collar installed - disappointing I was about to install it and noticed the bearing was loose - it moves about 5mm or 1/4 inch up in down in the bearing housing. I can only assume from what I can see of the bearing housing surface that it's corroded and it's lost it tolerance to hold a bearing and now I need a new housing.

Last edited by nz4runner; 04-23-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:18 AM

The end of the housing has a 1/4 step that pushes the bearing into the brake backing plate and clamps it in the bearing pocket .
Old 04-23-2014, 08:50 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by nz4runner
So I took the axle in and got the old bearing removed. Turns out there was locktite used on the old one not sure if it was around the outside of the bearing or near the collar and the axle. They had to heat it up to remove it.

Anyways I got home with the new bearing and seal and collar installed - disappointing I was about to install it and noticed the bearing was loose - it moves about 5mm or 1/4 inch up in down in the bearing housing. I can only assume from what I can see of the bearing housing surface that it's corroded and it's lost it tolerance to hold a bearing and now I need a new housing.
Ya....just did a bearing replacement for a friend on his Toy...same 1/4" of "play" and that is normal as James92 suggested. Do not replace the housing

Last edited by ZUK; 04-23-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've put it back together and have taken it for a 20 minute drive. It's holding so far. There is still a bit of in/out play in the wheel but it can't be any more than 1/16 in or.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:42 PM

I did my right rear axle today and removing the bearing and seal and installing the new ones took probably 1 hour completed. Use this method, it does work: Toyota Maintenance: Replacing Rear Wheel Bearings and Seals