Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Problem with front CV axles 89 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with front CV axles 89 4runner

Hi guys, I picked up another 4runner today to replace the one I sold about a year or so ago. This one is an '89 with a v6, and another 5spd. Body is in better shape, but it looks like the drive train of the older one was in better shape. I noticed while off road today that the front wheels weren't spinning when the backs were. After looking around, I saw that the right front hub was the problem. Basically, looks like the axle wasn't pushed far enough into the hole, and that caused the edge of the axle/hub to be worn out. Now, I can't even push the axle into the hub, and if I could, I don't think it would stay in.

Here are a few pics. I'm trying to fix this as cheap as I can. It's just a play toy, and I'm not even sure if it's going to get registered on the road, so putting a whole lot of cash into it swapping stuff around really isn't the ideal situation for me to be in. Thanks all in advance!

First pic you can see how the outer edge of the spline on the CV axle is pretty much shot. Second picture you can see how far in it wants to be. The third picture shows the bad hub splines on the left, and good ones on the right.

Edit: if this is somewhere on here already,I apologize. I tried a few different ways to search for information, but I'm probably not searching for the correct keywords as I didn't find anything.
Attached Thumbnails Problem with front CV axles 89 4runner-badaxl1s.jpg   Problem with front CV axles 89 4runner-badaxles.jpg   Problem with front CV axles 89 4runner-leftisbadhubs.jpg  

Last edited by carlspeed; 12-08-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:44 PM

Looks like your cheapest bet is to get a new CV, and a set of drive flanges if its just for playing off road.

I've got three cv's sitting here in my garage, but it's a little far from you.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:51 PM

Damn.

Is the drive flange what the spline gear inside the hub called? I'm not too crazy up on 4wd terminology, lol.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:03 PM

Drive flanges replace the locking hubs, and lock the front axles full time. Your other choice is to try to find a replacement inner gear for the lockout.

Those look like Warn hubs?
Old 12-09-2013, 03:34 AM

He said they were Warren from advance auto parts. I can't find anything on it at all. I don't even know if I'm going to drive the truck on the street for a while, so I'm really thinking about going back to the original style flanges that don't unlock I guess. I don't have the need to be able to unlock these. I guess it would be nice if I could unlock them if an axle went bad or something though. Is it possible that I could just find one used hub for the passenger side? That shouldn't be an issue running different hubs right?

What caused the CV joint to back out of the hub anyway? Is there a spring that can fail on the diff side?

Last edited by carlspeed; 12-09-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a snap ring that should be in the groove on the splines of the cv axle. That's what is supposed to keep the axle against the seal in the back and full spline engagement.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:28 AM

Any pictures? I don't have one in either axle, so I although I see the area for the snap ring, I'm not sure if there is a bushing or something that I'm missing. Can you see anything missing on the photo above of my axle, beside the snap ring?
Old 12-09-2013, 10:02 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
The other thing I notice here is that the hub gear (the internal chunk that accepts the axle splines) is offset a considerable distance from the mating surface of the hub body. In the factory Aisin units the hub gear is alot closer in. I can try to take a measurement of one later. It may be that you are fighting a design issue.

In the first picture you posted, where the axle shaft is sticking out... You would install first a washer with internal teeth that slips onto the axle shaft. This sits against the brass bushing. The snap ring goes on after.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by carlspeed
... I don't have the need to be able to unlock these. ...
I assume you don't have A.D.D (Automatic Differential Disconnect, nothing to do with your attention span); I don't know the equipment on your vintage truck.

If you're okay with having the axles locked in all the time (when in 2wd, the front wheels drive the axles, differential, and front drive shaft) you could replace the hub with a "Front axle outer shaft flange." A junkyard part to you, but new OEM they're only $100. http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...category=21645

For the shaft, you can buy an entire rebuilt half-shaft from Autozone for about $65. Hard to justify the work of replacing just one part of a half-shaft.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:01 PM

Thanks man! Any place local I can get a few along with the bushing, or do I have to get them from Toyota?
Old 12-09-2013, 01:03 PM

So, looking further at the pictures, it looks like the main problem is that the splines on the locking hub got chewed away. Not sure if Warn can sell you just the inner gear or not, but it looks like you can replace it (just pull that snap ring off).

My guess is that your 4Runner does have an automatic differential disconnect (A.D.D.), in which the locking hubs would just minimize the wear of the CVs themselves.

Either way, you're looking at new flanges, or another set of locking hubs. If those flanges are $100 each from the dealer, you'd be better off getting another set of locking hubs off of eBay.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:07 PM

I was able to get the inner gear of the hubs from the company, Mile Marker. Wicked cheap, $15 shipped.

I'm not sure how to tell if I have ADD on the truck.

First thing I'd like to do, is find where I can order the snap ring and the appropriate bushing, so that I can see if there is anyway I can salvage the CV axle.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:16 PM

Glad you found replacement gears.

An A.D.D. differential will have two vacuum lines coming out of the front of it, and run up to the passenger side of the truck.

Go to the dealer for the snap rings and the "spacer" behind it. I remember that the spacer does come in a couple of different sizes. Because of how cheap they were, I got 2 of each size.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:37 PM

when I order this stuff, should I tell them I have a different year, like the 88, before the constant drive flanges were installed? I wish I knew how this swap was done, it would making owning this thing a lot better.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:45 PM

Give them the correct year. You'll get the correct parts.

Edit: if you search, you'll find a how to for adding manual hubs.Just

Last edited by Cyberman; 12-09-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:51 PM

Cool thanks. Just didn't want to get something different because the swap to manual hubs had been done, which aren't even an option in '89 hah.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
How much distance is there between the bottom mountain surface of the hub body and the beginning of the inner hub gear? An Aisin part I have measures 8.5mm.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:12 PM

I'm try to measure tomorrow. I bet it's about a half inch.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:27 PM

Where's the bolt and washer that goes in the end of the axle?

Last edited by Dan Carey; 12-10-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:34 PM

I don't have a bolt. What you see in the photo is all I have, minus, the hub covering everything.

Quick Reply: Problem with front CV axles 89 4runner