86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this probable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 07:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Is this probable?

This is re a '94 4Runner I'm looking at - V6 160k . The guy said it has new head gaskets water pump, and the rest of the kit. Then . . .
"Upon reassmbly the timing belt was not instauled correctly, this prevents the vehical from idoling and requires reseting of the timing belt"

Will a V6 run with the belt off a cog or two?
Old 01-24-2017, 07:36 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
It would likely still run with the cams only slightly off. But,, If it's that simple of a fix, why has'nt it been done??

The truck would likely sell more readily if it was running well.

I'd be skeptical of the level of care and skill that was brought to bear on the rest of the repair.

Be vigilant and DON'T PAY MUCH!!
Old 01-24-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two things:

1. A guy who spent the money to have the head gasket, wp, etc done the right way would never fold after a timing belt installation error. He would resolve the issue and keep the truck. Odds are he had a shade tree throw on a couple cheap gaskets and a water pump just so he could sell the truck. After he and the mechanic settled their financial argument, he, for whatever reason, decided that fixing it wasn't feasible and is about to stick it to someone.

2. Tell him to have the timing belt fixed and if it makes it right, pay him what it cost to do the work plus a couple hundred, That's only if he has receipts for the other work (including surfacing of the heads?) and you actually believe the odd story he tells you about how this all came to be. I don't believe it, by the way.

I'm always down to deal on something like this. He is in a bind to sell and you are holding all the cards. When I used to consult clients on heavy equipment purchases, I would tell them to buy a questionable used piece only after reducing the seller's price by the total cost to replace the most expensive component in the machine. In this case, take what you think the truck would be worth without engine trouble, subtract the cost of an engine replacement and try and make a deal below that price. If he is honest, you get a great deal. If he isn't, replace the engine with your choice of engine and still have a truck worth what you paid for it.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:16 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
If theyou fubarred the timing belt what's to say they followed the correct torque pattern for the heads?
there are a billion 90-95 4runners on the market. Continue your search and expand it to include 3rd gens, the prices on those have been dropping and are a better choice
Old 01-24-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
I see vehicles offered like this all the time: "It just needs 2-3 hours work and it will be worth $25,000, but I'll let you have it now for only $5,000." As the others have said, if that story was true any seller would spend the 2-3 hours and collect the $20,000. But the seller knows "better"; he believes trying to fix that lemon is just throwing good money after bad. You always take a risk when you buy any used vehicle. But why buy one that doesn't even run when the world is full of those that do run?

IF you have the space, tools, and know-how to fix these trucks, AND you can look at the offered truck and clearly spot the problem that has evaded the seller and his mechanics, then maybe it's worth polishing that diamond in the rough. But if all you know is what the seller tells you, then you can do better.

Last edited by scope103; 01-24-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
If it doesn't roll up hill..

All great input above.
For the specific question. Yes it will run if it's one off, two gets pretty questionable. It is a v6 so not going to crush valves.

When I'm looking at a used older vehicle it needs to run, drive and stop and it needs to do so for at least a year without requiring more than oil changes. If I'm not in love with it (IE a classic) it needs to do the above and cost less than bus fare twice a day for said year. If not consider it buying a chassis with a body, are those worth the asking price after you cut the absurd price in half?

Don't under cut your self thinking you can do the labor for free, your time is money. My rule of thumb is two to three times my hourly wage at minimum as what it will cost me to do the labor., But I will use the highest local shop rate in calculating actual labor costs, around 150 an hour for my area, multiplied by my running total of work required and reduce the asking price accordingly after adding the part cost. Also if the labor cost to repair the big ticket item exceeds the asking price best to walk away or offer just above the local salvage price (250$)

​​​​​​PS that advert seems familiar and I'm thinking there were more red flags than the belt being installed wrongly.

​​​​​​
Old 01-24-2017, 11:15 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

To me if it does not drive it is only worth scrap price to me.

Because so many other problems may not be seen

Slightly more if it has all new tires

Don`t be over come with the buying a new vehicle lust!!
Old 01-25-2017, 06:16 AM

Thank you for the input. I have been leery of the guy since I read the ad which (under)stated “there is a timing issue”. I quoted his response above. A bit more than a timing issue and I am more suspect of it/him now. If I could get the truck at dirt cheap and only as a project I might. But what I might be willing to pay is a third of what he is asking. He also claims to be in a money bind.

I too wonder how well the rest of the job went as y’all alluded to. I figure it would take a complete redo since it will have to be opened up anyway. My assumption going in is that the engine is essentially on life support, but “could be” revived.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He was in a money bind when he had it repaired. That's why it ain't right. Offer him $500 and see how bad of a bind he is in.

I have money binds to thank for my 1st and 3rd gen Runners as well as their matching parts trucks. I have $4,600 in all four of them.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Charchee
He was in a money bind when he had it repaired. That's why it ain't right. Offer him $500 and see how bad of a bind he is in.

I have money binds to thank for my 1st and 3rd gen Runners as well as their matching parts trucks. I have $4,600 in all four of them.
You must be reading my mind (scary place huh? ) $500 is the number in my head too.

Problem is I am in a space bind. To bring in a non-runner I would need to move out a couple other projects which isn't happening as quickly as I would like. I guess a lot of people are in money binds.

I'm gonna keep an eye on it and see where he goes with it. He hasn't lowered the price yet.