Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pro-Comp shocks, whats the difference and which ones? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pro-Comp shocks, whats the difference and which ones? HELP!

I want to replace my Rancho RS9000 shocks before I put a new set of tires on my truck in a few weeks and have read some good reviews on Pro-Comp shocks. BUT Im confused as to which model to buy! My truck is a daily driver that sees about 75% back road and highway, and 25% trail use. Im putting 31x1050 tires on it and would like a set of shocks that actually work with my suspension set up. I read that Suzuki Samurai front shocks are ideal with my BJ spacers and rear shocks for trucks with a 2" lift will be perfect with my Downey rear leafs. BUT I don't know which model shocks to buy and why! Here is what I got from the Pro-Comp site, any input would be greatly appreciated! I want maximum travel off road and on these WV back roads and as much wheel control on the highway as possible without sacrificing all ride quality on the highway... Are the 9000's more of a heavy duty shock? I have a fiberglass bed and the rear of my truck is light and the only thing I ever tow is a lightweight motorcycle trailer and my sport bike...

The twin tube cellular gas design of the ES3000 is engineered to substantially improve driving comfort and
performance both on and off the road. With its 10 stage velocity sensitive valving, the ES3000 self adjusts to
various road conditions while improving your vehicle’s handling characteristics. The large 5/8” chrome
hardened piston rod and unique Teflon rebound stop delivers a comfortable highway ride and the ability to
handle the most demanding driving conditions. With double welded shock mounts for maximum strength and
the exclusive Pro Comp Suspension limited lifetime warranty, the ES3000 will ensure ultimate performance for
as long as you own your vehicle
• Expanded twin tube hydraulic performance shock
• Cellular gas insert reduces aeration and foaming
• 10 stage velocity sensitive valving
• Internal bump stop eliminates damage caused by overextension
• 1 3/8” nylon banded piston rod
• 5/8” chrome hardened piston rod
•Optional shock boots sold separately

The Pro Comp ES9000 is the ultimate nitrogen gas charged shock absorber. With its twin tube design and 10 stage
velocity sensitive valving, the ES9000 delivers not only a smooth, comfortable highway ride, but it also enhances off
road handling and performance. Engineered for those driving enthusiasts demanding optimum capacity for heavy
loads as well as the most demanding driving conditions. It’s a 1 3/8” nylon banded full displacement piston head
and double welded shock mounts ensure maximum strength and long lasting durability.
• Twin tube nitrogen stabilized
• 10 stage velocity sensitive valving
• Expanded twin tube design increases fluid capacity up to 50%
• 1 3/8” nylon banded piston
• 5/8” chrome hardened piston rod
•Optional shock boots sold separately
Old 01-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, the reason I want to get rid of the Ranchos, they were wrong for the BJ spaced front end and had to be shimmed, and the drivers side rear knob is totally seized, this set has only been on the truck for a few years... Im not impressed at all and wont buy them again!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the ES3000s on my truck. I picked up the Stage II lift and these shocks for $450 new. (ebay) They ride fairly nice actually but large bumps they are a bit rough. For the price, not bad. Better than Rancho, need a kidney belt for those things. I want to go Bilstien in the future, or hopefully, by-pass type shocks if my suspension evolves the way I want.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:22 PM

i needed new shocks myself. i researched and researched, what i found out is that Monroe makes shocks for a lot of companies, including procomp and rancho. this is not a bad thing, however you can sometimes find better prices on monroe. i read a lot of reviews on emu and found that for that nice ride over most stuff on and off road ( potholes and washboard trails) they work great! after lots of back and forth, and finally uping my price range a bit. i ended up with the bilstiens. the autozone up the street from me offered to match a price for me and i had a coupon and some reward points so four (4) shocks cost me 128 with tax!
as for the ride very nice! a little harsh on big potholes ( which ohio has) i think they my be the best shocks i have ever used in the 20 years ive been driving
Old 01-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Question Ive always used Bilsteins but do they make...

Ive always ran Bilsteins on Saabs and MX5's for YEARS.. Ill have to see if they make the HD's for the Samurai front end since I have the BJ spacers and if the standard ones will still work with my Downey rear springs... If anyone knows of any Bilstein sales going on let me know!