86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power window and door lock problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power window and door lock problems

Ok so my power locks and windows have been working on and off lately. Sometimes they work, other times i cant put any windows down or lock all the doors at once (with the switch or the key in the door). For a pretty good while now, the windows and door locks would only work when my driver door was closed and the key on. If the key is on and the door is open, I get nothin.

Lately, the locks and windows will just stop working, it will stay like that for a day or so, then I will get in it and they will work just fine. When they are not functioning, I think i can hear a relay clicking under the dash when I try to unlock the doors, im not sure if that is what it is though.

has anyone had this problem? I'm wondering if this is happening because a relay is going bad? If so, would anyone be able to tell me what it is called and where it would be located?

thank you for any help you can give me, this problem is really starting to bug the crap out of me.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:29 AM

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
I am not sure what you're driving. But I have a 1st gen, and was having the same problems.

This was a couple years before this forum, unfortunately.

I am not much of a try and fail person, so I replaced all the wires, switches, and relays. Everything works as if new.

I hope this is not what you have to do, but it's what I did.

Good luck, buddy.

Alex
Old 07-30-2009, 08:55 PM

well, i have a 95 with a v6. Do you kno what relays work with my windows and door locks?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

I would inspect the wiring for shorts first. Sounds funny to me that it would work with the door closed and not open.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:15 PM

Any form of aftermarket alarm system? If so, sometimes the cheap-o splice connectors installers use cause some resistance and aging of the wiring at the cut in the wire sleeve.

If not, consider pulling your driver's door panel first and checking for wear and corrosion, or even sometimes too much dust, spilled and dried up (coffee/soda/what have you). Test the resistance of the switches using the FSM info. It may well be a worn relay, but it can also be just as simple as corroded connectors and dirty switches.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:06 AM

alright i'll probably pull my door panel this afternoon after work. And yea it is weird that the door needs to be closed, and I hate it haha. I was thinking that the little button, on the door jamb that gets pressed in when the door is closed, could be malfunctioning also? and I would like to know if anyone knows what relay controls the power windows? also, where is it located?
Old 03-24-2010, 03:41 PM

I have a similar problem. My driver's window is fine in everyway. Passenger window is picky about when it wants to work, no matter if you use the driver's control or the passenger's. What is different about the switches is that when the window works, the passanger control moves the window at almost full power. The drivers control, on the other hand, has a huge problem rolling the passenger window up. It takes about 10-15 seconds; the motor makes what sounds to be a really resistant noise. As for the locks: they always can unlock, but not always do the motors lock the doors completely. If you pyull a handle right after locking the doors, the lock will either finish going all the way down, or pop up while the door opens. I want to fix this, but it's handlable and not on the top of my priority list.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:32 PM

Sorry i never posted a reply, but I took the switch panel out of the truck and dissassembled the whole thing. I let everything sit out for about a day near my heater to get any bit of moisture out that could have been in there. I put it all back together and everything worked fine, except for the problem with the door being open, still never figured that one out. Also, you gotta be super careful wen you take that panel apart... theres a zillion little pieces in there that fall all out all over the place haha. Suprisingly, i put it back together correctly. but good luck if you take it apart.

Also, my runner threw a rod wen i was driving to school about a month ago, so its dead and currently sitting in my garage. Anyone want or know anyone that would want a 95 Runner with no rust and blown motor? lol
Old 04-13-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 4RunninTy
Also, you gotta be super careful wen you take that panel apart... theres a zillion little pieces in there that fall all out all over the place haha. Suprisingly, i put it back together correctly. but good luck if you take it apart.

Also, my runner threw a rod wen i was driving to school about a month ago, so its dead and currently sitting in my garage. Anyone want or know anyone that would want a 95 Runner with no rust and blown motor? lol
Haha, I know what you mean with those window switches. When I took mine apart for the first time, I was having a horrible time getting the window lock retainer thing (the thing that makes the button stay down when you push it and then come back up and the next push) to say it. And then it flew away. So now the only way to "lock" the passanger window is to hold down the button as long as you want it locked. Of course, I never do that, but that's what locking the window would take.

And sorry to here about the runner.