Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Power Steering Pump Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power Steering Pump Leak

Looking for some advice regarding my power steering pump.
It's been leaking for the past year ever since I bought the truck ('91 4Runner - V6).

Well today it's decided to pack it in as I was pulling in to work. I did some research and as I understand it, it seems to be an easy fix although I haven't researched to any amount of detail.

I'm looking for some advice on rebuilds vs. installing a replacement pump.

Also, as I work in the city and the drive home was over an hour... wondering if this would cause damage. I filled the reservour before I left although I don't imagine that the fluid lasted long.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ive never rebuilt a power steering pump, but in the mean time don`t let it run dry or the pumps history.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got a factory pump I would sell you if your interested. Let me know
Old 09-13-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would always be an advocate of rebuilding first, worst case scenario, it doesn't work and you have to buy another one. Mine had a bad leak and after an entire bottle of Lucas stop leak, it finally stopped so I lucked out, not sure if it would help yours though, sounds worse than mine was. I had to top mine off every couple days and now it's fine
Old 09-13-2010, 03:00 PM

Def give the rebuild a GO its not very hard at all. If you have any mechanical abilites it will go just fine.

I did mine a week or so ago and it has not leaked one bit since I did the rebuild. The rebuild kit costs about $12.00-14.00 from any auto parts store. The dealer wanted $55.00 for the rebuild.

There is a very good write up here on YT from BUGS that I used plus the FSM, here is the link:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...riteup-183622/

And here is the link to the FSM for ya:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...rste/power.pdf

It took me about 2 hours total to get it done. The large snap ring that holds the back plate of the pump on was a PITA, I did it without snap ring pliers.

Give it a try take your time and read and read some more

Chris
Old 09-13-2010, 04:06 PM

That's one of the first threads I breezed through. Sounds easy enough.

I like to do a bit of research before I dive into anything.

My concern is that I had to drive it home with the reservoir empty. I topped it up before I left work but by the time I got home, it was empty. It was pretty much a straight route home. Not very many turns. Not sure if that makes a diff.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by klbeans
That's one of the first threads I breezed through. Sounds easy enough.

I like to do a bit of research before I dive into anything.

My concern is that I had to drive it home with the reservoir empty. I topped it up before I left work but by the time I got home, it was empty. It was pretty much a straight route home. Not very many turns. Not sure if that makes a diff.
Like posted before give the rebuild a try if it fails buy a new pump.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my guess is that the vanes get damaged if the system runs dry, since the system spins and is under pressure, even if you are not "turning" it would leak as long as the engine was running and the pumps was spinning, I think I would gamble with the rebuild for as cheapo as it is and then if that didn't work then buy the replacement, you might try stopping and refilling a time or two on the way home.

Hope it works in your favor.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:01 PM

Took the pump apart. Looks to be in decent shape. I bought a rebuild kit. Should go well.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:05 PM

Great, I was just on a local "discount" parts website and the seal kit was $16, seems to be affordable, hope it goes smooth.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:08 AM

So I rebuilt the pump and installed it last night. Something is still leaking. It was late by the time I put the pump in so I didn't have time to investigate prior to going to bed.

When I woke this morning, I remembered that I forgot to tighten the hose clamp on the one hose (sorry don't know what it does but it's the only one with a hose clamp that tighens via a bolt). I checked the hose before heading out for work this moring and noticed there's no oil in or around that area so although the clamp has not been tightened, I don't believe the leak is originating there.

Any other possible areas where the fluid can be leaking? Any other potential "problem" areas you can think of? On quick inspection this morning and last night, the pump appeared to be dry. I'll be taking a more in depth look tonight. Thought I'd ask for some perspective in the meantime. I doubt the leak is originating at the pump. Must be coming from somewhere else.

Thanks everyone for your help so far.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:08 PM

The PS in my '95 was leaking a while back, causing a squealing sound every few days if I didn't keep the fluid topped off. Apparently my leak wasn't as bad as yours, klbeans. My shadetree mechanic (former career Toyota dealership mechanic) said PS rebuilds often still leak, or start leaking again several months after the rebuild. So, I bought a remanufactured complete pump from the local parts house and have had no problems since. $30 core charge, which reminds me, I need to return the old pump to get that money back. It wasn't expensive to replace the whole pump, labor included.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:12 PM

when your ready to stop playing around with that pump let me know. I have tried to rebuilds in the past as well, and have not been very successful either. I still got a good pump and complete system still sitting in this 4runner I am parting out.

Last edited by 85toyman; 09-17-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:33 AM

Hey guys,

I have a very similar issue I think.

I have an old 1985 4Runner that my grandfather lovingly left me. I am doing my best to keep it in the best shape I can. I love this thing. I just replaced the alternator because the original was all gummed up and finally died.

As soon as I put in the new alternator my Dad noticed that the steering pump was leaking....and it leaks right into the alternator. I wonder if this is why the original was gummed up?

I am going to pick up a can of Lucas, and then try tightening it up to see if that does the trick. Otherwise, maybe try one of those rebuild kits?

I am a novice to any car repair stuff...just learning as I go!

thanks guys,
Scott
Old 10-11-2010, 01:49 PM

Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. Been busy with work and home renos that I haven't had a chance to get on the computer much lately.

OK. So here's where I'm at...

I rebuilt the power steering pump. Here's some pics of that.

Power steering pump removed:

Power steering pump disassembled:

Rebuilt and cleaned power steering pump (pulley not installed yet):

Now following the install, I noticed that the truck continued to leak power steering fluid. I checked all around and under the pump yet it's dry. The rebuild kit seemed to be working ok but I'm still leaking fluid.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed that there was a leak further down the line. I've attached pics as I have no idea what this component is called. I've looked in the service manuals and searched the forums but I have not found any reference to what this part can be.

We initially tried soldering a leaking brass pipe. That seamed to hold for about 1 week. Then the leak started up again.

I haven't had time to get under the truck for a better look but I thought it would be a good idea to post some pics to get some input from you guys.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:39 PM

That is your idler arm. They have a tendency to go out during hard wheeling if not braced. Some after market suppliers make braces or trusses for it. I have rode my toyota's pretty hard and only had one fail me.

If nothing else they are fun to work on. Hope your having fun as well, they can be a good education.

If you have more questions feel free to let us all know....
Old 10-11-2010, 04:41 PM

Hope that helps.

Last edited by 85toyman; 10-11-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Could not see the last response. It finally came up
Old 10-11-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by 85toyman
That is your idler arm.
I'm refering to the pipe that has the hose clamp on it. You can see the Dextron III (red fluid) dripping from it. I made sure to include the idler arm in the pic to give you reference as to the location of this pipe.

Last edited by klbeans; 10-11-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 PM

Just continuing with my research. Does this line connect to the power steering air control valve? Where can I find more info on this as I cannot locate anything in the FSM?

Edit: just located the air control valve and it's mounted to the bottom side of the PS pump. The lines that come from this valve leads to the lines in question above. I just don't know what part that is with the leaking pipe. This is really frustrating.

Last edited by klbeans; 10-11-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:14 AM

I see that now. Wasn't looking to close just point out the obvious, sorry about that.

It looks like its coming from what I have always refered to that as the power steering distribution box. It has several lines coming from it, not really sure why toyota used it, but every toyota 4runner I have looked at has one on it. I have heard that they are really hard to find and I just threw the last one I had away as it has been sitting on my shelf for a while and I got tired of looking at it.

Is it the metal pipe that has a crack or the hose clamp that isn't holding or the rubber hose that is split?

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Leak