86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power Steering pump 1991 runner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering pump 1991 runner?

I recently purchased a 1991 4Runner 3.0L and need to replace the power steering pump.

The local shop is stating his only source for the P/S pump is a factory supplied part. He has a source for an after market part, but they are getting quite a few returns on their P/S pump and he wants to avoid using it.

Does anyone know of a good source for a new [not reman] P/S pump for my truck?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Why do you need to replace the pump? It is a rebuildable part. What's wrong with it?
Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 PM

First let me say I am not doing any of this work myself...this is one reason I am posting hear so I do not pay more that I should.

From what the shop has said it [P/S pump] is leaking, and should be replaced?

If you look over the passenger side front wheel; there is evidence of a fluid leak.

So, you are saying I only need to purchase a rebuilt P/S pump?

I could also have someone rebuild my current pump?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Toyota sells a rebuild kit that includes all seals, o-rings, snap rings, and gaskets. The job really isn't too hard if you some basic skills and you follow the factory service manual. A new pump from Toyota will be very expensive. I rebuilt my Mother-in-Law's 3.0 pump about 4 years ago due to leaks and it's been working great since. Mine is also seeping and I hope to rebuild it next week with the limited tools I have up in Anchorage and can take pictures if you want. You can get a rebuild kit for $27.83 here: http://www.toyotaoemparts.com/ and it ships to you in about 10 days. This is a Toyota dealer that sells on the internet. They've been good to me. Take care,
Bugs
Old 05-29-2009, 04:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I was suggesting that if your current pump is only leaking, that you rebuild it with the Toyota seal kit. It is cheap and works well. I rebuilt mine a couple of years ago. The rebuild took probably 1.5-2 hours (The pump removal & re-installation not included). You have to remove & re-install it regardless of what you do. You can end up with a fully rebuilt OEM PS pump (which if done right will last for many years) for a couple of hours of labour and $30 in parts. In my opinion, that is much better than any aftermarket pump will ever be.

Just an option for you.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
After doing the repair, make 100% sure your mechanic fills the system with dextron type lll ATF. Not power steering fluid..
Old 05-30-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most mechanics do not want to rebuild the pump, even though in most cases it's the best way to go. They will push hard for you to [have them]replace it. You could ask them to remove it, then take it home, rebuild it yourself, and then have them reinstall it, but they're not going to want to do that either, 'cause they're afraid if YOU did a bad job on the rebuild, you'll somehow try to blame them.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the feed back... I have also found that none of the shops locally will re-build the P/S pump.

I have found a shop that will order a rebuilt pump and install it for me, or they would send my pump in and have it re-built and then re-install once they receive it [one week down time]. They do not re-build any P/S pumps on site they send all of them to Denver.

I will let you know how this turns out.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by bugs1961
Toyota sells a rebuild kit that includes all seals, o-rings, snap rings, and gaskets. The job really isn't too hard if you some basic skills and you follow the factory service manual. A new pump from Toyota will be very expensive. I rebuilt my Mother-in-Law's 3.0 pump about 4 years ago due to leaks and it's been working great since. Mine is also seeping and I hope to rebuild it next week with the limited tools I have up in Anchorage and can take pictures if you want. You can get a rebuild kit for $27.83 here: http://www.toyotaoemparts.com/ and it ships to you in about 10 days. This is a Toyota dealer that sells on the internet. They've been good to me. Take care,
Bugs
When you do re-build yours, do take pics and do a write up on the re-build. I have to do mine this summer, and I'd like to use the write up on it....
Old 05-31-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a good write up here:
http://members.cox.net/stacewilliams/ps-pump.htm
but now it's coming up "page not found". I've included it on the off chance that it will show up again. Hopefully it hasn't permanently lost it's host.

Here is another that is at least similar to give you an idea of what your getting into.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steer...mprebuild.html

And here is a thread with lots of good links to be mined.
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2126

To the OP, if you're up in Leadville it might be worth it to take a crack at some of these jobs on your own. Many are not as hard as they look, and Yotatech is always here to help if you get stuck. Case in point, I did my own headgasket replacement which was by far the most involved mechanical work I had ever taken on. It was intimidating at first, but I got through it and learned lots of valuable stuff along the way. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I get back up to Anchorage on Tuesday (after flying all night) so I'll do the rebuild on Wednesday. Should have a writeup by the evening.
Bugs