Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

PLEASE HELP: battery charge and parking brake light on.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
That's funny DC cus that number comes up when I put my 87 info into TPZ, but they made me look like an idiot once already where one of the part numbers for the CV's crossed with a Camry. SO it wouldn't surprise me if that number I put up above is in fact not an 87 alternator. I think the 91-92's had the oval plug and not the round plug?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
91-92 were round. They used the round plug through 1992, then switched to oval in 1993.

I wasn't saying the part was wrong, I was saying the price was wrong. TPZ seems to give only a 5 or 10% discount, where Toyota of Dallas (toyotapartsales) gives 30%
Old 08-30-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I've had the same issue with my vehicle, I have changed the alternator 3 times, I'm on my 3rd battery from the system overcharging it. This has caused my headlights to blow out 3 times also I've replaced the voltage regulator the overcharging has stopped after I found a loose oil pressure ground wire on the passenger side of the engine block that was loose. .....SO the light is still on but I believe I may have found the culprit. There's a few plugs that run off of the voltage regulator it will have a little white wire, a thick white wire and a red wire. Try to disconnect the plug that is closest to your driverside headlight. Mine was damaged so it took some wrenching to get it off. When it did come off the connectors had major buildup was also partially melted. I decided to just cut off the plugs and connect them with your standard wire crimps. My light is still on but before I did this fix my stereo would sometimes work and sometimes not. Seemed like a bad ground. Now it works perfectly so I'm headed in the right direction. I am going to try and change the alternator one more time and hopefully it will shut off the lights. I am assuming the alternators that I have used may have been damaged from the electrical system due to the volt regulator not receiving a correct signal to work properly. Well I'll let you know if this works out for me. If your wires are damaged like mine it won't matter how many batteries or alternators you put in it will still cause problems. I have pics too I can post if you can't seem to find it. It has been quite the headache to get those two little lights to turn off!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:26 PM

I don't know how to start a thread to ask questions

Apparently I need 15 posts at least, So I'm gonna use this thread

Last edited by DeathCougar; 01-22-2014 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Post padding combined
Old 01-22-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a plan.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Kodytnk

No, you aren't.

Start here: https://www.yotatech.com/search.php

Chances are your question has been answered, given how old these trucks are
Old 01-22-2014, 10:55 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Kodytnk

the 15 post rule relates to posting in the classifieds

how to post:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f122...-guide-218973/
Old 02-09-2014, 12:06 PM

Thanks upfront, this is a great site with a bunch of good advice.

I’d appreciate some help with an electrical problem. I have a 1988 Toyota pick-up with a 22R engine. While trouble shooting an electrical problem with the blinkers (since resolved-was due to a wet trailer wiring harness), I shorted some wires—but I’m not sure to what they went. Since then, both my brake and charge lights are on (they dim when the parking brake is released, but stay on), and the truck idles very fast.

I’ve done research and read a lot of good advice for the brake and charge light problems, but I can’t find the problem. I’ve checked all the fuses, had the alternator checked at Advanced Auto, and I’ve changed the alternator brushes. The truck runs fine despite the high idle, and the battery remains charged.

I suspect I damaged a relay or perhaps burned a wire-but I can’t find the problem. I’m torn-whether to just drive it as it is, or to take it to the shop…I’d really like to find and fix the problem myself.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

How bout a hint just where you shorted these wires ??

When it arced did one or more wires burn through.

The color of the wires would even be better.

Just a guess you fried the coil that keeps the charge light off so now it is on all the time.

Most shops unless they breathe Toyota`s are pretty much useless for electrical work you would get a big bill lots of parts replaced and still have your lights on
Old 02-16-2014, 10:07 PM

I've got a similar problem, oldtoy. My brake and charge lights came on a few weeks ago right after we had a few weeks of 40 degrees, and then Alaska decided it was winter again and got really cold. It was the first day it got cold again that those lights came on. They are intermittent. They'll go out, and the headlights and dash lights dim, but the radio works fine. Then the warning lights go on, and the radio will cut out a bit and the lights get really bright. It's weird. I never lose power, it always starts up without a hint of battery loss. I've got the super high idle though. When idling, if the warning lights are off it runs normal, if the lights are on it idles super high. I suspect it's an alternator problem, but it's not consistent and nothing is really broken. Yet. The belt looks fine, it still charges everything. Any ideas?
Old 02-17-2014, 04:12 AM

Wyoming 9,
Thanks. Regarding the wire shorted-I’ll admit in retrospect I was being a knucklehead-but I unplugged the black coupler right behind the left headlight. It has four wires coming out of it (a white, yellow, white with green strip, white with red stripe); I think I shorted the white with red stripe, but it could have been any one. I don’t think anything burned though, because everything still seems to work, except for the problems I mentioned earlier (warning lights and fast idle). You mentioned it might be a coil-where is that located, and is there a way to test it? Thanks again-appreciate the help!
Old 02-17-2014, 04:20 AM

Tallsasquatch,
I think you are right in your suspicion-sounds like an alternator problem to me (the alternator, its' brushes or perhaps the voltage regulator). If I had that problem, I'd replace the alternator and see if that corrected the problem before I was stuck on the side of the road-especially in the country you are in! Have you had the alternator tested at a shop?