Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

planning LSD in front and rear, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
planning LSD in front and rear, opinions?

i've sifted through many posts regarding lockers and such, and i think i am narrowing in on a traction plan for my 4runner. since i will put 90% of miles on road conditions (the other ten percent will be moderately technical trails), and we get a fair amount of snow in reno/tahoe, i am thinking of going with detroit trutrac in front and rear. i am hoping that this combination will also give advantage in trail conditions (granted not as much as an automatic or selectable locker).

so, i'm looking for opinions of this plan. specifically from anyone who has used that LSD in either the front or rear, or even better both. how do they perform in the dirt? how about small rock gardens? street and highway? thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It will be okay if you are just doing mild wheeling. You'll notice some improved performance, and it sounds like you've done your research

The time when you will know that youve got it is when you are in loose dirt, but not lifting tires, say climbing a smooth hill that has loose dirt.

In mild rock gardens, you may notice it. Again, if you lift a tire, you'll likely have issues.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
*SIGH*

I'm done trying to argue lockers over limited slips for the rear. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:55 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
How about the Powertrax thing? Is that a full locker with LSD properties?
Old 08-02-2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by RustBucket
I think it's just an LSD.

My opinion, dont do it. Spend a little more money on one rear ARB. You might want to explore the toyota electric locker. Not sure if it'd fit your rig, but they have been retro fitted into some 3rds.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RustBucket
Not really. The Powertraxx and Lockright type lockers give you 100% lock at all times but a ratchet-type system "kind-of" disengages it when differentiation is needed. You can get used to driving with the Powertrax, but you'll always know it's there.

BK, in my humble opinion, LSDs are cool to have up front as an addition to a locked rear. If you want real traction, you HAVE TO lock the rear. Not sure what your budget is, but I'd save some $$ and install an elocker or ARB on the rear, and you'll make it trhough virtually every obstacle.

Last edited by TEPUI; 08-02-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:08 PM

axleike: thanks for the input. hopefully i can learn to modulate the breaks to engage the LSD in those lifted tire situations (think i read that somewhere here or 4crawler...). but more likely i will be wheeling the tacoma instead.

mastacox: i appreciate where you are coming from. i anticipate using my tacoma (w/ rear e-locker) for most of my off-roading. the magic un-stick button has definately boosted my range from my pre-tacoma days. my 4runner is intended mostly for local transport on paved roads, ie winter conditions in town and to local ski resorts, xc ski, mtn bike, and hiking trailheads, etc.

anyone else with encouragement/discouragement? thanks again, bk.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bktaco
axleike: thanks for the input. hopefully i can learn to modulate the breaks to engage the LSD in those lifted tire situations (think i read that somewhere here or 4crawler...). but more likely i will be wheeling the tacoma instead.

mastacox: i appreciate where you are coming from. i anticipate using my tacoma (w/ rear e-locker) for most of my off-roading. the magic un-stick button has definately boosted my range from my pre-tacoma days. my 4runner is intended mostly for local transport on paved roads, ie winter conditions in town and to local ski resorts, xc ski, mtn bike, and hiking trailheads, etc.

anyone else with encouragement/discouragement? thanks again, bk.
Sorry bk, I just noticed you also own a trail rig, so you know wxactly what I'm saying.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:16 PM

tepui: between you and mastacox, i am nearly tempted to reconsider the selectable locker. the 4runner would definately be fun on more technical trails too

the only reason that i am leaning more towards dual trutracs is to make the 4runner a more purposeful local winter hwy transport (and dedicate the tacoma more towards offroading). its my understanding that the LSDs will be the better option for wet/icy/sandy paved roads than an open diff. if i had only the 4runner, i think i would also concur with selectable locker in the rear.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Honestly, if i were you, i'd do full lockers on the 85. Its is a perfect platform for a trail truck. You have the selectable in the tacoma, and use that for the highway. But that's just me.

However, if you decide on LSD, then you can do the brake bias, i learned it, and it works some of the time. It takes a bit of practice, so don't be frustrated if you don't get it at first. However, there will be some situations where it just won't work. Keep that in mind.

Last edited by AxleIke; 08-02-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bktaco
tepui: between you and mastacox, i am nearly tempted to reconsider the selectable locker. the 4runner would definately be fun on more technical trails too

the only reason that i am leaning more towards dual trutracs is to make the 4runner a more purposeful local winter hwy transport (and dedicate the tacoma more towards offroading). its my understanding that the LSDs will be the better option for wet/icy/sandy paved roads than an open diff. if i had only the 4runner, i think i would also concur with selectable locker in the rear.
Why dont you make the 4runner the trail rig and use the taco for highway driving and occasional trail use? It makes more sense to abuse the older truck (unless it's pristine now) After all, your taco seats 4, doesn't it?
Old 08-02-2006, 03:50 PM

axleike: i hear you. i am obviously still wrestling with the grand plan. its tough having three good trucks around, planning which one to dedicate for what purposes. the FJ that i feel i am destined to own in a few years complicates things even further. break out the violins, woe is me
Old 08-02-2006, 04:02 PM

taco only seats 2, i cant conscientously (sp?) put anyone in the jump seats. i'd like the 4 seater for town and local destinations. when i go offroading i am usually only toting the gf in my truck, with others in convoy.

the other reason that i am considering the milder traction plan for the 4runner is to keep it more marketable. as i wrote above, the FJ feels like destiny. so according to current plan, in a few years i will be in FJ land, liquidate the tacoma and (sadly) 4runner (thats gonna be hard) and put a flatbed on the pickup. i'm getting emotional just thinking about losing the taco or 4runner!

it almost seems like wasted time and money to pursue traction for the 4runner when i am always thinking about a helled out FJ. but it will be contingency because the FJ might be further out than i figure.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:25 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
However, if you decide on LSD, then you can do the brake bias, i learned it, and it works some of the time.
X2 for SOME of the time. And the remaining times are frustrating as hell.

Wait, you have a SFA 4Runner and you're gonna make IT the DD, not the IFS Taco? The 4Runner has WAY more trail value than market value. At some point, it is possible/likely that your driving skills will surpass what an IFS can do without constant breakage. At that point, you will want a SFA trail truck - the '85 'Runner....
Old 08-02-2006, 08:37 PM

thanks again gents. i truly appreciate your input. i know it might be hard for some to understand that i plan to keep the 4runner as DD, and offroad in my tacoma. that just comes down to personal circumstances and future plans.

so... does anyone with an opinion actually have truetracs front and rear? talking with another forum member, the guys at detroit apparently think its a great idea. i will talk with them as well and report back at some point.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:38 PM

tc: pretty close, i plan to share DD between the two trucks and offroad mainly in the tacoma. chau for now, bk
Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

Well, it sounds like you are having some trouble deciding and things are hard right now, so i'll make your life easier.

I'll take that 85 that is burdening you so badly off of your hands, and then clear the way for your new FJ!

BTW, i'm serious. I'll drive out to reno and get er thins weekend.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:16 PM

wow, you'd do that for me?! well, if/when that day comes, i'll def give yotatechers the first shot! i need to save me lunch money up a bit more tho before that day comes around. plus toyota needs to come through with a removable top fj...
Old 08-03-2006, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

If you do decide to sell the taco I might have to have a look at it... Sigh so much for college.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:14 AM

I have TruTrac's front and rear in my 90 Xcab and I'm actually quiet happy with them. The V6 rear trutrac actually has some preload springs in it to aid in the biasing. I have not had a great deal of time to do any wheeling yet due to my work schedule.

What little wheeling I have had time to do has been great. I'm currently working on my rear suspension so I been twisting it up on gravel piles and loading docs to get wheel travel and shock length figured out. If you get a wheel in the air they aren't super useful but the application of the parking break will usually fix any problems with that. I don't like rocks much so I spend most of my time on trails in the mud/snow/dirt/sand and for that they work great. I figured if I ever decided to solid axle the front I would put the rear trutrac in the front and go to a full Detroit as it will be mainly a trail rig at that point. Last year I had the truck in some deep snow on the trails and you could really feel it in the steering wheel when the truck started to rely on the front to do the pulling as the steering wheel became a more difficult to move and the truck just really wanted to go straight.

Its no full locker but the difference between a trutrac and an open diff is huge on the trail. On the road the trutrac is pretty much invisible unless your cutting doughnuts in a gravel parking lot or on wet pavement then you can tell its there. Pulling the E-brake out about 50% on a ramp will allow you to walk a rear tire right up into the air. The front Trutrac does not have the same amount of biasing so its a little easier on the IFS front end. There is a nice article on trutrac's in the most recent issue of that off-road magazine 4wheel parts gives away for free. In the article the writers seem very happy with the compromise the trutrac offers. I would say when traction is at a minimum mud,snow and sand that trutrac's work extremely well. Its only when you get wheels into the air on rocks that Trutrac's show their weak points.

Quick Reply: planning LSD in front and rear, opinions?