86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

overheating and revving problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
overheating and revving problem

i have bad luck. with my next i was gonna have enough to order marlin front and rear bumpers and xrc8 winch but then everything with my truck goes wrong. its a 95 22re 5spd p/u.
1. it overheats sometimes. not sure if you would really call it overheating, but the temp guage will barely move toward the hot, just a hair past where it normally sits. i replace the thermostat and it did fine for about a month or so. sometimes i can just stop and turn my truck off then start it up after bout 5mins and its fine. other times the radiator will be barely be low, so ill top it off and its fine. i drained the radiator and filled it back with antifreeze. it drained fine.

2. i have to ge tnew syncronizers(sp) in my tranny so thats whats really settin me back. poor thing will barely go into gear so its parked til thursday.

3. about once every week or two, especially if i dont let it warm up a while, it will rev its self up budn budn budn like im pumpin the gas. ut it only does this while im pushing the brakes. when i let off the brakes it does it like im holding the throttle bout a quarter of the way down.buuuuuuuuuuudn. and itsll give itself gas like i have cruise control. adn it will stay reved while ipush the clutch in to change gears. i searched and everything on this comes to a vacum leak

i would HIGHLY appreciate some help on any of these
Old 03-17-2009, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overheating

sounds like your not thinking of the engine and the radiator as one unit working in harmony. if you have air bubbles in the radiator and or the engine block that is going to take up space in the cooling system. try pressurizing the cooling system with one of dem pumps you attach to the radiator. not only will you be purging air, but you can also check for leaks at the same time. Its my beleif this might help your problem.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:28 AM

arizona thankye very much. ill do a little research on this. ive had lots of people tll me to get a new radiator cap that mught help. thank you alot for your help and reading my long post
Old 03-17-2009, 03:11 PM

typing

and learn how to spell or type one or another.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
necessary?

Originally Posted by arizonaguy
and learn how to spell or type one or another.
that's a little harsh, don't you think?
maybe just suggest "proofread before posting"?
Old 03-17-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by yoder519
i have bad luck. with my next i was gonna have enough to order marlin front and rear bumpers and xrc8 winch but then everything with my truck goes wrong. its a 95 22re 5spd p/u.
1. it overheats sometimes. not sure if you would really call it overheating, but the temp guage will barely move toward the hot, just a hair past where it normally sits. i replace the thermostat and it did fine for about a month or so. sometimes i can just stop and turn my truck off then start it up after bout 5mins and its fine. other times the radiator will be barely be low, so ill top it off and its fine. i drained the radiator and filled it back with antifreeze. it drained fine.

2. i have to ge tnew syncronizers(sp) in my tranny so thats whats really settin me back. poor thing will barely go into gear so its parked til thursday.

3. about once every week or two, especially if i dont let it warm up a while, it will rev its self up budn budn budn like im pumpin the gas. ut it only does this while im pushing the brakes. when i let off the brakes it does it like im holding the throttle bout a quarter of the way down.buuuuuuuuuuudn. and itsll give itself gas like i have cruise control. adn it will stay reved while ipush the clutch in to change gears. i searched and everything on this comes to a vacum leak

Well, temps are rising outdoors so the needle may swing a little higher. If the needle doesn't hit the "H" mark, everything is pretty much normal and acceptible.
My 88 sits just under 1/3 and raises to about 1/2 if I keep the engine at higher RPM's for any considerable length of time- like say keeping 70 mph in 3rd gear / 4000+ rpms.
Now that it's warming up, my 91 with 185 thermostat bounces a bit from 1/4 to 1/3 on the gauge, depending on how far it's driven. It will be changed to a 195 stat when I get home so I may see a higher 'idle' temp but the driving temp should become more stable. And again, I wouldn't worry much unless it's getting up near the "H" mark.
But it seems that you're losing coolant somewhere (otherwise why would you need to add it?) and air-bubbles in the cooling system can cause the temp gauge to react 'oddly'.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:32 AM

thanks abe. but it was overheating like this during the winter months to.. if not worst. i was losing colant not to long ago but that was before the new thermostat. it was overheating then coming out of the overflow. and it when i would go to put more in it, smoke would come out of the radiator.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:48 AM

If everything is working fine, then you should only have to put coolant in the overflow, and even then rarely have to do so. If the system is loosing enough coolant to require you to remove the radiator cap, you have a significant problem.
The coolant expands when heated and contracts when cooled, thus the 'min' / 'max' or 'cold' / 'hot' marks on the expansion tank. It should never get below the 'min' / 'cold' mark or above the 'max' / 'hot' mark if things are working properly. If you're loosing coolant, something is wrong. I mean, really, how much of an air bubble can be in the system? Eventually it has to work its way out. And if you've added 4 gallons of coolant and it still requires more...? The cooling system isn't big enough to hold 4 gallons.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:12 AM

but after i replaced the thermostat it didnt loose anymore coolant. that was in december and i may have put antifreeze in it once. but no much at all. lets say your looking straght toward the radiator. it may have been an inch low if that much. sorry.. thats the only was i could figure out how to put it. and it was loosing the coolant bad before i put the new thermo on, but it was overheating, then coming out of the overflow tube. after i fixed that, it doesnt loose it anymore.

edit. oh and if i turn the heater on full blast when it starts to overheat, it will drop back down to the normal spot in about 3-5 seconds. not sure if that makes any differnece.

Last edited by yoder519; 03-19-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:23 PM

overheating

Mcfly,hello Mcfly are you in there???? i thought i told you what to do. you need to pressurize the coooooling syyyyyystem and check for leaks for the third time. I know you have ADDD, but trust me its the first step to fixing your problem. turn the heater on full blast and let it run for awhile when you add coolant this will make sure it gets to the heater core also.........

Last edited by arizonaguy; 03-19-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:47 PM

thanks for help arizona but u need to chill a little. whats ADDD? heard of ADHD and ADD..i like to get more than one opinion.. pretty sure everyone else does to. im not trying to be smart.. but just bc you told me what you thought the problem was doesnt mean im gonna go straight out and do what you said. im not saying your wrong, jsut saying i like to get lots of opinions.no offense.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:05 PM

22r overheating

ok i will go with that, i understand your point of view, and sorry for giving you a hard time, other than that i do thing you should buy a pressurizing pump for your radiator and cooling system to see if you can find where the leaks are.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:37 AM

thank you i may just have to pick one of them up today. are they expensive?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:18 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If it tends to overheat on the first 5 minutes on the highway then it is likely a clogged radiator.

The idle prob sounds like the idle is set to high or a TPS adjustment. Set the idle for 900rpm resting.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:30 PM

but after i replaced the thermostat it didnt loose anymore coolant. that was in december and i may have put antifreeze in it once. but no much at all. lets say your looking straght toward the radiator. it may have been an inch low if that much. sorry.. thats the only was i could figure out how to put it. and it was loosing the coolant bad before i put the new thermo on, but it was overheating, then coming out of the overflow tube. after i fixed that, it doesnt loose it anymore.

edit. oh and if i turn the heater on full blast when it starts to overheat, it will drop back down to the normal spot in about 3-5 seconds. not sure if that makes any differnece.
Turning the heater on and it cools down is most likely one of two things: radiator is plugging/plugged up, thermostat is not opening all the way, ie-stuck. The heater gets its coolant out of the engine before the thermostat and returns it to the water pump inlet- nice idea: warms up fairly fast, if the thermostat closed fully but can cause gauge reading issues (a.k.a. gauge overshoot).

And the other issue, like ZUK said could be the idle too high or the TPS faulty or misadjusted. If you can get a set of multimeter probes to the bottom two terminals on the TPS, they should read <2.3k ohm resistance. If they don't you may be able to rotate the TPS slightly until it does, but if it won't, the TPS will need replaced.
Also, idle speed should be ~750 rpm's (900's a little high, unless necessary... for a cam for instance). If it's not, that can affect other things like timing, etc., which can cause odd idling issues too.
Don't forget to check the dashpot on the front of the throttle body also to see if it's sticking, holding the throttle open.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 PM

my temp sensor stays right in the middle, never moves once its warm...

maybe you need to run the car with the cap off till the radiator burps to get rid of excess air in the system. Maybe your water pump is bad. Just shootin off ideas.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by ZUK
If it tends to overheat on the first 5 minutes on the highway then it is likely a clogged radiator.

The idle prob sounds like the idle is set to high or a TPS adjustment. Set the idle for 900rpm resting.
i thought it was the idle at first but then we adjusted it back down and it didnt jump back and frthe idleing for about a month. but.. it started again. maybe that screw you turn to adjust the idle got knocked around or somethin

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Turning the heater on and it cools down is most likely one of two things: radiator is plugging/plugged up, thermostat is not opening all the way, ie-stuck. The heater gets its coolant out of the engine before the thermostat and returns it to the water pump inlet- nice idea: warms up fairly fast, if the thermostat closed fully but can cause gauge reading issues (a.k.a. gauge overshoot).

And the other issue, like ZUK said could be the idle too high or the TPS faulty or misadjusted. If you can get a set of multimeter probes to the bottom two terminals on the TPS, they should read <2.3k ohm resistance. If they don't you may be able to rotate the TPS slightly until it does, but if it won't, the TPS will need replaced.
Also, idle speed should be ~750 rpm's (900's a little high, unless necessary... for a cam for instance). If it's not, that can affect other things like timing, etc., which can cause odd idling issues too.
Don't forget to check the dashpot on the front of the throttle body also to see if it's sticking, holding the throttle open.
teh thermpstat is new so it could be the radiator. i think im gonna buy one of those things arizonaguy told me to buy to pressurize it. ill search a little to figure out that daspot thing you talkin about on the throttle body cuz i aint to sure what that is

Originally Posted by xzyragon
my temp sensor stays right in the middle, never moves once its warm...

maybe you need to run the car with the cap off till the radiator burps to get rid of excess air in the system. Maybe your water pump is bad. Just shootin off ideas.
thanks xzyragonn, do you mean just starting i tup and letting it idle with the cap off, or actually drivin it? i would assume you mean idleing
Old 03-21-2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by ZUK

if the radiator drains fine could it still be clogged?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:16 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
if the radiator drains fine could it still be clogged?
Absolutely.....and rodding a clogged radiator is hit and miss thing.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:57 AM

overheating?

I seem to have the same problem. I have a 88 toyota customcab and the temp would climb toward the red most of the time . I put a Toyota Part # 90916-03070 thermostat in and . The temp stays in the same spot. Try it . ??