Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

[OPINIONS]: Buy or Build? Engine swap options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[OPINIONS]: Buy or Build? Engine swap options?

Not sure if this the right place for this thread but it does involve engine swaps so I figure this might be the place. If not, you have my written (or typed) permission to give me a wedgie until I whimper like a little girl. Also, sorry for the long post.

That being said, I am posting on this particular site because I have been to all the other sites and generally I have found YotaTech members to be: 1. Knowledgeable 2. Willing to help/share knowledge 3. Respectful to long time members and new members alike 4. Not uppidy pricks who bag on people for their lack of knowledge. This, IMHO, is what sets YotaTech atop the wheeling/tech communities.

So am I looking for a rig for long road trips into hard country. Hunting, fishing, camping and just generally getting away from society is my main goal here. I'll be going into some of the most isolated fishing/camping holes in North America and possibly at some point I'll venture into South America. I will be what I like to call a 'Mobile Hermit' and it can't come soon enough. Obviously I will need better than average off road capabilities as well as having reasonable fuel economy. I will also need to be able to get parts if/when I have a break down while on the road. I am (and this is a key point) physically disabled from a severe back injury 4 years ago and I walk with a cane. I have 10+ years of fabricating experience but as of 4 years ago I am unable to do many of the things I love doing. Unfortunately, I have limited access to a shop and equipment so I'm afraid I'll have to contract out the tougher jobs like the engine and axle swaps.

What I think I need: SAS, engine swap (although I do love the 22RE), full roll cage (exo, inside or combo), winch and dual cases. I do have my mind made up on using a 1st generation 4Runner for my application.

I do have a basic understanding of 4x4 tech but am unsure about gear ratios and the like. I am wondering if a higher gear set for fuel economy can be complimented by dual cases for off road purposes? If this is the case, then I definitely want to go that route.

As far as power plant goes, I'm really liking the Cummins 4BT option but I have also seen quite a few V8 and Buick V6 swaps, both claiming to have excellent fuel economy, although those rigs are for sale so I am assuming they'll say anything to sell the rig.

As of right now, I have approx $6500 - $8000 for a budget so the truck doesn't have to look great, just be functional and reliable. I do have a couple sales in the works that could potentially boost my budget to around $12k - $15k, although I really don't want to spend that much on the rig, instead saving that for the initial trip.

Now that you know my usage, needs and wants, should I just patiently search the internet until I find a rig that meets (or partially meets) my requirements then add what is missing; or should I buy a cheap 4Runner and build it from scratch?

All opinions, suggestions and advice are extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Casey