86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Online Parts Catalog for our 4Runners?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 08:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Online Parts Catalog for our 4Runners?

Hi, I did a lot of searching, but am having a hard time finding a place where I can look up miscellaneous part numbers for stuff that's missing on my '87 SR5 22RTE. I can find the big stuff, but the small annoying things are the hardest.

For example, right now I'm missing 2/4 of the rear seat lower mount plastic covers in gray. And the small round black circle thing on the back of the rear seats for child car seat things. And lots of bulbs (behind A/C Heat controls, etc) that I want to replace.

My local Toyota dealer cannot even find a way to look them up for me. But every time I come in with a part number (instead of a description alone), they miraculously can find what I need - go figure...

Anyone know of a good resource? Anyone know any of these part numbers by chance?

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
71629-8910104 (no longer available)
When you searched, you probably found lots of threads where part numbers were cited, along with a link. Did you look at any of those links?

https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/sho...rimLevel=18419

This link goes to my favorite site (there are others) for such things (it's a dealer in Florida, and I have also had good luck ordering from them). You will probably find that searching through all of the screens to find something tiny like incandescent bulbs is a little tedious. Your dealer's counter-man is looking at the same screens. How willing would YOU be to search through all that stuff for a guy who wants to buy, maybe, little pieces of plastic for a 30-year old truck?

So have some sympathy for him/her; he/she is a resource you don't want to exhaust. When you find a part using a site like this, print out the diagram page, write on the page the part number you think it is, and WRITE YOUR VIN on the page. With a head start like that, your counter-man will probably be willing to check to see if the part matches your VIN, and tell you the currently-available substitute part. Plus, he might even give you the "this-guy-knows-what-he's-doing" price.

Good luck!!
Old 10-25-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
71629-8910104 (no longer available)
When you searched, you probably found lots of threads where part numbers were cited, along with a link. Did you look at any of those links?

https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/sho...rimLevel=18419

This link goes to my favorite site (there are others) for such things (it's a dealer in Florida, and I have also had good luck ordering from them). You will probably find that searching through all of the screens to find something tiny like incandescent bulbs is a little tedious. Your dealer's counter-man is looking at the same screens. How willing would YOU be to search through all that stuff for a guy who wants to buy, maybe, little pieces of plastic for a 30-year old truck?

So have some sympathy for him/her; he/she is a resource you don't want to exhaust. When you find a part using a site like this, print out the diagram page, write on the page the part number you think it is, and WRITE YOUR VIN on the page. With a head start like that, your counter-man will probably be willing to check to see if the part matches your VIN, and tell you the currently-available substitute part. Plus, he might even give you the "this-guy-knows-what-he's-doing" price.

Good luck!!
Great - this helps. And good point - I could tell he was trying to find them, but not very hard. But I need to do my part - this helps a lot and thanks for the advice.

I'll be bringing parts diagrams from now on.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
When you find a part using a site like this, print out the diagram page, write on the page the part number you think it is, and WRITE YOUR VIN on the page. With a head start like that, your counter-man will probably be willing to check to see if the part matches your VIN, and tell you the currently-available substitute part. Plus, he might even give you the "this-guy-knows-what-he's-doing" price.
^^ This is exactly what I do, and it has worked every time. I usually highlight the part I am looking for on the printed diagram. The dealer was able to confirm the part number with my VIN and could order it for me, or tell me the bad news that the part was discontinued. The parts counter people like having you do the research, especially on a 30 year old vehicle they are not familiar with.

So far I have not gotten the "this-guy-knows-what-he's-doing" price though.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:33 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by old87yota
... So far I have not gotten the "this-guy-knows-what-he's-doing" price though.
How do you know? If you walked in there and said "I need that part that looks like this [holding up fingers]. I don't know what year." [Seriously, this happens!] what price do you think you'd get?

All I know is I have ordered parts (using the print-out-the-diagram method you described), been quoted a price, and when the parts show up the invoice is for a significantly (~25%) lower number. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It all comes back to the dealer each one is different .

As far as getting the discount price

Then opening a account and paying your bills goes a long way
Old 10-25-2017, 12:04 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
All I know is I have ordered parts (using the print-out-the-diagram method you described), been quoted a price, and when the parts show up the invoice is for a significantly (~25%) lower number. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.
The dealers in my area like to charge full retail price. The price quoted by the dealers here match the "retail price" or crossed out price on Dealer parts websites. To be honest though I have only bought smaller and relatively inexpensive parts through my local dealer like clips, oil filters, belts, hoses, distributor caps and rotors, etc. Basically maintenance items. The price difference wasn't that much more than online. For the larger and more expensive parts, I have just bought my parts through online dealers.

But hey, they are DEALERSHIPS, maybe I can make a deal on lowering the price?
Maybe I just get too happy that the parts are still available and don't try to lower the price?

Maybe you bought so many parts through your dealer that you get a "high volume" discount!
If you walked in there and said "I need that part that looks like this [holding up fingers]. I don't know what year." [Seriously, this happens!] what price do you think you'd get?
I have seen this happen a few times! Neither the customer or the parts counter person really knows what part is needed and it takes a while to figure it out. Usually it is a pretty expensive part too!

Plus, Toyota can call some items by different names and won't show up as the more common name for the part. (Like vane pump instead of power steering pump).

Old 10-25-2017, 10:34 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You might have a point some statements where well over a $1000.00

It is nice to call and ask can you get this ?? Then always get the response "I will try"
Old 10-26-2017, 03:27 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
i've had very good luck with the toyota parts department at the local dealer. both tom and karen are very helpful and have been willing to look up parts for my '87. i've made sure to purchase parts there regularly; the prices are competitive, and the parts are oem. plus, i run an '89 camry and a '91 celica, and had a '97 corolla.

i don't expect the parts people to work miracles, and i try to provide as much detail and information to them as possible by researching possible parts online ahead of time.