Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

One power lock not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One power lock not working

Hello, I am a long time visitor to the site and finally decided to join up for some advice. I have a 94 t4r that needed a door hinge replacement on the passenger side. After installing the hinge, the passenger lock no longer works from either the pass. or drivers switch.

Things I know:
The pass. switch is good according to the FSM. I have continuity between the switch and the harness that hooks to the pass. actuator. I jumped power to the actuator and that is good also. All other power accessories work on the pass. side (mirror, window, little light on the door). I checked the lock relay and all things were good except that no. 12 has no continuity when the pass. switch is manipulated.

Since all other power accessories work, would I be right to assume that power is getting into the pass. door? Does no continuity on the no. 12 lock relay mean I have a break somewhere between the switch and the relay? I can't imagine that the relay would be bad since every other function works.

I'm new to electrical work and really have no idea where to start looking for a break, if that is even it. Is it possible that while working with the door that I managed to disconnect just a single wire? It all appears good from the door to where it leads into the body. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am past where the FSM gives any more advice. Thank you!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:17 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Which switch you use makes no difference; both lock motors are hooked together, and are powered by pins 1 and 6 of the door lock relay (according to the FSM http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../8powerdoo.pdf ) Which means that "all the other power accessories work" makes no difference; they share no wires.

So if one lock works and the other doesn't, AND jumpering the motor on the non-working side causes the motor to run, then you've got a connection problem. Since you've got the door apart, pull the plug to the motor and see if you get power on pins 2 and 4 when either switch (or the key lock) is worked (the polarity reverses depending on the direction you want to go, so try all ways, just to be sure).

My money says you loosened the motor connector when you had the door off; re-seating it may do the trick. Or you broke wire 2 or 3 (testing at the connector should tell you).

Good luck!