Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

OME 901 ?'s

Old 01-14-2009, 07:57 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
OME 901 ?'s

well, my christmas present still aint here...
my dad ordered me a set of OME 901HD springs directly form Old Man Emu back on december 12th... after several attempts at trying to contact them about his order my dad noticed that his credit card still had not been charged... so on the third of jan he said screw it and decided to order a set from TRDparts4u.com... very nice service... they are supposed to be here today, but i had some questions before i install them...

as of right now i cant afford to buy the necessary equipment, so i need to know what i can get by without...
like, can i get by without the panhard drop bracket?
can i get by without buying longer shocks?? i mean, im going to be stuck in 2wd soon, so i figure that i wont overextend them 4wheeling...
i know that it will probably give me somewhat of a rear to front rake, but until i can fab up some BJ spacers, do you think that there would be any problem with the front steering or suspension?

thanks in advance guys...

~Troy
Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 PM

anyone wanna chime in??
Old 01-14-2009, 10:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No need, you're fine with just the springs. The shocks limit stock droop, so over extending the shocks isn't a problem, won't cause any damage. Its using the shocks as compression bump stops that damages them. There's hardly any force on the shock at extension when its merely holding up the weight of the axle. Besides the OME Nitrochargers are no longer than the stock shocks.

There is no reason to buy the panhard drop bracket with 2" lift. I haven't and I won't be.

May I caution you that the HD springs are meant for for serious load carrying capability, even the medium duties ride pretty stiff when unloaded. Mediums are perfect with 200lbs in the cargo area, rides like a [insert nice-riding car of choice].
Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 AM

thanks matt... i appreciate the input...
Old 01-15-2009, 11:09 AM

One thing I should point out is that because the OME springs are so stiff (they flex just fine though), you really should look in to saving up for the shocks (OME Nitro Chargers) as they are designed for the springs. That are soft enough to work well with the springs.

I thought this was all marketing BS, but the ride I had with OME medium duty springs and cheap medium-stiffness ProComp ES3000 shocks could only be described as harsh.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
double post...

Last edited by 95RunnerSR5; 01-15-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM

you don't wanna install the springs until you have everything else. trust me, i know from experience. the ride on stock shocks sucks because they are almost fully extended with the new springs so on the slightest bump you get jerked. and if you dont have bj spacers you may want to get some also or your truck will look like mine did, all raked and what not.
the longer coil goes on the gas tank side btw. even though i have cheap shocks, the ride isn't nearly as stiff as you'd expect.

Last edited by 95RunnerSR5; 01-15-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by 95RunnerSR5
dont install the springs till you get everything else. your tire will stick out a few inches on one side more than the other without the panhard. and without new shocks the ride will suck. trust me on this i know because i installed my springs before i got new shocks.
The axle being pulled over by the panhard rod is not noticeable. Trust me on this, I spend about 1-12 hrs a week under my truck. The springs barely lift it above stock. That pulls the axle over maybe 1/2", which is not noticeable. It does not affect alignment or anything. You'd have to lift is far above the 1-2" lift provided by the OME springs to make this effect noticeable.

The only problem with stiff shocks and stiff springs is a rough ride. Its not going to do any harm, or negatively affect the handling. Might as well replace the springs now, then do the shocks next week/ month/ year if you're not picky about a harsh ride.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:24 PM

well, its not the fact that im pick about my ride, because i am, its jsut that money does not permit new shocks for a while...

i am going to make the LSPV bracket, but the panhard drop can wait...

and to 95RunnerSR5, it looks like you have the LC coils... mine doesnt even look like that at full axle droop...
Old 01-15-2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
well, its not the fact that im pick about my ride, because i am, its jsut that money does not permit new shocks for a while...

i am going to make the LSPV bracket, but the panhard drop can wait...

and to 95RunnerSR5, it looks like you have the LC coils... mine doesnt even look like that at full axle droop...
Oh yeah, the LSPV "bracket" is important or else the truck dives during the braking. Its that's the only "lift bracket" you need. You can make it yourself, v. easily.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:30 PM

and to 95RunnerSR5, it looks like you have the LC coils... mine doesnt even look like that at full axle droop
no sir, those are OME901's from TRDparts4u.com

trust me from experience, if you are worried about your ride, wait and install new shocks with the coils.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by 95RunnerSR5
you don't wanna install the springs until you have everything else. trust me, i know from experience. the ride on stock shocks sucks because they are almost fully extended with the new springs so on the slightest bump you get jerked. and if you dont have bj spacers you may want to get some also or your truck will look like mine did, all raked and what not.
the longer coil goes on the gas tank side btw. even though i have cheap shocks, the ride isn't nearly as stiff as you'd expect.
That's a fair bit more than the Med duties. How are you going to level it? Your hands are tied for the front as, as you know, screwing with the front ride height causes many issues.

here's my med duty springs.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:05 PM

well, i got some rought dimensions off of a ball joint while at the bone yard the other day, so soon im gonna be taking a trip to my grandpas and see what he thinks...

i already have some aluminum ready to go... just need time...
Old 01-15-2009, 09:17 PM

I'm running the medium duty springs with the Nitrochargers and there is no problem with the Panhard bar. I don't think I'd advise the heavy-duty springs. These medium-rate springs ride pretty firmly and they hold up very, very well with a load in the back.

And there is no way in hell that mine sits as high as 95Runner's!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by RobD
I'm running the medium duty springs with the Nitrochargers and there is no problem with the Panhard bar. I don't think I'd advise the heavy-duty springs. These medium-rate springs ride pretty firmly and they hold up very, very well with a load in the back.

And there is no way in hell that mine sits as high as 95Runner's!
Sound like you and I have the same opinion of the medium duties. I assume your truck sit about the same height as mine in the pic.

I'm guessing the pic of the green 4Runner was taken right after the install. Mine settled a bit in the first couple weeks.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:23 PM

okay, so i got the springs in today...

the truck looks great... and with me, my dad, and the dog on the tailgate it doesnt even bottom out anymore! also, when i open the tire gate the ass doesnt squat and the truck doesnt lean from the weight.... this is awesome...

Old Pic...

New springs...

Last edited by space-junk; 01-16-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:17 PM

What's that green stuff on the trees and ground?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:54 PM

its snow that we spray painted green...
Old 01-17-2009, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Sound like you and I have the same opinion of the medium duties. I assume your truck sit about the same height as mine in the pic.

I'm guessing the pic of the green 4Runner was taken right after the install. Mine settled a bit in the first couple weeks.
Mine is pretty similar to yours. I had to jump up to get onto the end gate for the first couple weeks. Now it's not as high a jump.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
That's a fair bit more than the Med duties. How are you going to level it? Your hands are tied for the front as, as you know, screwing with the front ride height causes many issues.
i have bj spacers now and it sits level

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OME 901 ?'s