86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

old alarm removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
old alarm removal

thought i'd post this as someone else might have same problem.
so i put this alarm in about 1996, either a k9 or excaliber. just a simple alarm with remote. after selling the truck to my brother in 2000, he reported a starting problem a few years later after that. i had no clue so he searched and found out that this is a common problem in trucks that had an alarm installed. seems that in the starter kill circuit a relay is installed and that after time that relay will cause the stater circuit to draw too much current so that the starter relay itself doesn't have enough juice to start. all you get is a the sound of another relay and nothing else.
earlier this me get to buy truck back.
i decided to remove the alarm. i was nervous about it but it turned out to be a piece of cake. i took out the entire alarm wires and everything. in my case all the alarm did was disable the starter when the alarm was tripped. of course it had sensors and the ole syrine. as it turned out all i needed to do was just unplug the alarm box (or cut all the wires off). find the installed alarm relay and splice the cut wires back together. i traced all of the wires of my alarm to ensure what i was doing was correct.
i kept this kind of vague so truck crooks don't get to much easy info on specific vehicles. but all in all this is a no worries removal.
just a side note: my starting trouble only happened on warm days usually over 80.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:48 PM

sounds easy enough, I have an alarm installed in mine from a previous owner but I found the hidden off switch. I still want to pull it out cause it is a big unit that is jammed up between the steering column and all the other electrical crap under the dash and makes it real hard to work on anything else in that area. As I have no remote for it, its useless to me, so it needs to go
Old 08-13-2013, 09:26 AM

Alarm issues

I have a 95 with the integrated system and im having the same problem, would you be able to email me at cocanant@yahoo.com to help me out? I also cant figure out which little black box is my alarm, as I have 3 boxes under my dash. thank you.