86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Okay to take off the A/C belt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay to take off the A/C belt?

So my A/C doesn't switch on, don't know why, don't care, might fix it some day.

Would it be fine for me to remove the drive belt?

This seems like an obvious answer to me, so that's why I'm asking. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep. No problems leaving it off. Just make sure you tighten the idler pulley back up so it doesn't fall off.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:16 PM

That's what I was thinking, thanks! It's nice to hear someone else confirm when something seems overly simple :-)
Old 02-20-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the issue with it? Might be something super simple but we can't even check if you take the belt off. Don't know which belt it is on yours but if it's the most inside belt, you will have to take off all the others to replace it. If it's not making a noise or lugging your engine down then your ac compressor clutch just isn't engaging and taking the belt off will not do anything helpful to you at all. Don't do it if you haven't already done it. Hope this is in time to stop you.

Post more info. I can help.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:33 AM

Yeah I realize it's not taking much of anything away from a stock engine when it's functioning correctly. I wanted to pull the belt (2nd in, btw) for a bit to try to find where a new noise is coming from. The sound reminds me of a supercharger, but a really teeny tiny one, nowhere near as loud. I thought the cold weather was causing it, but it's been warming up a bit and it's more noticeable. I listened as best I could and it sounds louder on the passenger side front. I'm just hoping it isn't a pump on the engine, I'd be fine going without A/C for a while/indefinitely.

Side note: when I say my A/C doesn't switch on I mean when I press the button the light turns green, engine RPM doesn't change at all, no cold air.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet it's not your AC. I know exactly the sound you're talking about. My 02 4Runner makes that sound when it's warming up but goes away shortly after. There is a pulley somewhere that is making the noise. AC clutches tend to make a completely different sound and will normally chatter when they fail. Try taking some WD-40 and spray each pulley while it's running, one at a time. See if hitting one of them will make the sound stop. Make sure you get the idler pulleys good. They are the ones I normally see wear out first.

If that doesn't work, let it run for a while and then shut it down. Carefully feel of each pulley or shoot them with an infrared thermometer. Look for one that is much hotter than the others.

Lastly, take the PS, of whatever belt is closest to the fan, first and run it. Don't take your middle belt off before you check the front one. You have to take it off anyway to get to the next one.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:25 PM

That seems like a pretty level headed approach, as opposed to my typical jump to the worst possible scenario first. I oiled the idler pulleys when I did my timing chain 7000 miles ago, but who knows, maybe that upset whatever ancient permagrease was in there. Will try your suggestion tomorrow, got an infrared thermometer at work...
Old 02-21-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
No issues taking it off, but tighten up the tensioner or it'll fall off like mine did.