86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

okay, I think someone owes me a crank

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay, I think someone owes me a crank

I'm starting to believe I can't win with this truck. I got a nice cheap replacement engine off Craig's List (3VZE). It had a spun bearing on #6. I pulled the crank and took it to a machine shop, who in turn said #6 needed turned, but it would be very difficult to turn it to .75mm undersized. I said, no problem, I've seen 1mm undersized bearings, let me make some calls. I called the local Napa, and have them look it up and call me back. As they are looking, I stop by Autozone. They have it listed, but not in stock, and apparently can't order it (online only?).

I finally get a call back from Napa. They can order me a 1mm bearing. Cool. Tell the machine shop to go ahead and turn that pin to that size, and have Napa order the bearing.

Bottom line: the bearing I got was for a in-line v6 (Supra motor). Now I've got a crank and no bearing. My only savior right now seems to be ACL Bearings, which list 1mm oversize in their catalog. I'm trying to track down a pair (I only need 1 freakin pair).

So, if they don't have that size anymore, does Napa owe me a crank?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberman
I'm starting to believe I can't win with this truck. I got a nice cheap replacement engine off Craig's List (3VZE). It had a spun bearing on #6. I pulled the crank and took it to a machine shop, who in turn said #6 needed turned, but it would be very difficult to turn it to .75mm undersized. I said, no problem, I've seen 1mm undersized bearings, let me make some calls. I called the local Napa, and have them look it up and call me back. As they are looking, I stop by Autozone. They have it listed, but not in stock, and apparently can't order it (online only?).

I finally get a call back from Napa. They can order me a 1mm bearing. Cool. Tell the machine shop to go ahead and turn that pin to that size, and have Napa order the bearing.

Bottom line: the bearing I got was for a in-line v6 (Supra motor). Now I've got a crank and no bearing. My only savior right now seems to be ACL Bearings, which list 1mm oversize in their catalog. I'm trying to track down a pair (I only need 1 freakin pair).

So, if they don't have that size anymore, does Napa owe me a crank?
tough call, i always order and recieve my stuff before i machine, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesnt....
Old 07-28-2008, 06:26 PM

Dude dont be stupid. you should have had the machine shop grind the whole thing.010(ten thousands) undersize, a very very common bearing size. You could have gotten one from just about anywhere. Its not too late, go fork over another 100 bucks and get it reground down to the size of bearing that will actually fit, that you could actually buy off the shelf!
Next time, make sure that you have the parts you are installing sitting next to the engine and then take it to the machine shop. OR take it to the machine shop and have them spec it out and tell you what you need to do. You should be able to get .010, .020, .030 and maybe even .050 undersize bearings all day long.

Last edited by JsEngine&repair; 07-28-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not buy a Supra straight "V6" motor for your bearing?

I'd complain, maybe go to wrecker and get a receipt, but I think you'd be very lucky to get refunded.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry to say it, but you should have waited to have the bearing in hand and it should have been dropped off at the machine shop to verify it was correct before anything was cut. you can try to argue the point with NAPA, but they'll tell you the same thing.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by JsEngine&repair
Dude dont be stupid. you should have had the machine shop grind the whole thing.010(ten thousands) undersize, a very very common bearing size. You could have gotten one from just about anywhere. Its not too late, go fork over another 100 bucks and get it reground down to the size of bearing that will actually fit, that you could actually buy off the shelf!
You're not following what I posted, and your reply is very condescending.
Obviously you do this for a living, so I won't step on your toes.

I tore the engine apart, found the problem, and handed it over to professionals that do this work all the time. I only did what I was told to do.

I just need a single pair of .040 rod bearings. Looks like King makes them as well, so I guess I'll contact engnbldr.

edit: The Napa owing me a crank comment was just a rant. I just need to find this bearing somewhere, before I set this truck on fire.

Last edited by Cyberman; 07-28-2008 at 07:04 PM.