Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

oil leaking money pit

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil leaking money pit

Please someone give me some insight on where my oil might be leaking from.

First off 3.0, V6, 1993 HG 4k ago, new water pump, timing and radiator.

Is was running fine with NO leaks untill I decided to change the oil, then the flood gates opened. She leaks about a qt every 500-600 miles, from the front of the engine drivers side. I didn't feel like getting my hands durty again so I went to a Mobile express oil change place. The guy told me the filter( this is the filter I just put in) was leaking and spraying oil everywhere. So I had him do another oil change and filter...she still leaks. So today I went in to a local shop and had him look at it, he said something in front of the engine, but would have to remove the timing cover and stuff to tell for sure. He quoted me "about 1k to fix it" WTF . I know the leak was not there before I did the filter change, any ideas what it might be? I'm going try and clean the engine real good and then I can rule out somethings.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:48 PM

My '94 does the same thing. I just call it "self-changing oil", plus it looks like it's on fire when it first gets warm because of the oil burning off the ex. manifold.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:55 PM

You need to clean it off real well with some Simple Green and then look carefully around underneath to see where it's coming from. Since it happened after an oil change and the filter is up front on the driver's side, perhaps a hose got a leak in it or the oil pressure sending unit got banged around. Leaking that badly should be pretty easy to figure out.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

I'm having a similar issue with my 22re, after an oil change she starting leaking out the front somewhere, I haven't looked closely yet cause it's not too bad, ~1/2 quart every month or so. I sorta consider it a self oil change too, but my (gag) environmental side keeps nagging me every time I see the spots in the drive way.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by axon
I know the leak was not there before I did the filter change, any ideas what it might be? .
Perhaps some crud broke loose and is sitting under the oil filter's seal. I would remove it and clean the hell out of the area it seals to.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:25 PM

Humm drivers side huh?

I doubt its anything under the timing cover as I don't recall anything under there able to leak except maybe the oil pump but that would be out the center. I would take a look at the oil pressure sending unit just in front of the oil filter. There is also a sort of oil cooler receptacle located just past the oil filter on your way to the fire wall it looks like a spot where an oil filter would screw on but it has a aluminum cup type fitting over it.

The oil sender mounts right into the threaded hole just out of sight behind the water pump outlet.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:16 PM

I have a similar leak on my 3.0L v6, i have changed the valve cover gaskets already. ( which by the way gets to be a hell of a job once you find all the brittle vacuum lines that need replacing) I have found that my passenger side cam seal is leaking and i believe my crank seal is too. If I am not mistaken you should be able to do the crank seal with out having to drop oil pan, correct me if I am wrong though. The motor has 200k on it but still pulls nicely so I think I am going to just do a timing belt, waterpump and camseals at the same time. I need to find me an electric impact that has enough power in reverse to get those cam gears off though
Old 07-14-2005, 08:43 PM

you are correct the front main does not require oil pan removal but it does require you get the 180ft/LB nut off of the crank. Probably the worst part about a front main seal replacement is getting the timing belt sprocket to slide off the crankshaft. As for the cam gears I cut up an old timing belt so I could wrap the cam gear then I used a Chain vice grip around my newly protected cam gear to hold it while I torqued it down. Be careful digging the old seals out as well and I probably would not bother with the rear cam seals only the fronts (the back one is a pain to get back in with the motor in the truck)

You can pick up a chain vice grip for about $20 at any Lowe's or Home Depot. Just make sure you use an old timing belt section to wrap the gear so you don't damage it with the chain clamp. As for getting that lower belt sprocket off all I can say is be patient and don't booger anything up getting frustrated. A LITTLE heat is probably ok but don't get anything real hot.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:43 PM

Received 633 Likes on 510 Posts
That is one purrrty lookin' engine! Wanna trade? I'd send a piccy of mine, but if you want to get an idea, just go pour a little oil in a dusty area, stir a while...there you have it.
Seriously, though, nice looking engine.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:58 PM

Thx for the compliment. You cant really see much of it when its in the truck unless you look through the fender well but the yellow will make finding any future oil leaks easy. Here is the finished product... for now

Old 07-14-2005, 09:18 PM

Received 633 Likes on 510 Posts
Still purdy, but I think I'd like it better all metal. Listen to me! Like it was mine or something! Sheesh!

Seriously, again, it IS a nice clean engine. Will you keep it that way? I would it I had it. I just let mine go so long, that I fear that if I clean it now, I'll wash all the oily dust off, and find out my engine is gone!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:53 PM

Mine leaked from the oil cooler. Just needed the simple gasket replaced. Not sure if the 93,s have oil coolers on the outside of the block like my 90.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:21 AM

where is the oil cooler located at and does and 88 have one?
Old 07-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

My guess (and this does happen from time to time) is that your oil filter gasket from the old oil filter is stuck to the block. That will cause the massive leak you are describing.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:00 AM

cleaned her off good last night and drove her hard to work this morning. Just went to check and I dont see any leaks. It had been 10 day since the second oil change, maybe there was still some oil draining from the frame rail or bottom of the engine. We'll see in 48 hour if she leaks.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:19 AM

so does it have oilcooler lines???

Originally Posted by axon
Please someone give me some insight on where my oil might be leaking from.

First off 3.0, V6, 1993 HG 4k ago, new water pump, timing and radiator.

Is was running fine with NO leaks untill I decided to change the oil, then the flood gates opened. She leaks about a qt every 500-600 miles, from the front of the engine drivers side. I didn't feel like getting my hands durty again so I went to a Mobile express oil change place. The guy told me the filter( this is the filter I just put in) was leaking and spraying oil everywhere. So I had him do another oil change and filter...she still leaks. So today I went in to a local shop and had him look at it, he said something in front of the engine, but would have to remove the timing cover and stuff to tell for sure. He quoted me "about 1k to fix it" WTF . I know the leak was not there before I did the filter change, any ideas what it might be? I'm going try and clean the engine real good and then I can rule out somethings.
Well i would start on the oilcooler lines and see if they are leaking it could be a simple as that, But if that is not the prob. It may be the valve cover gaskets may be leaking clean the motor real good and look at the covers real well you should see some oil if not then you are having problems with the cam seals and front crank seals they should have been replaced when you did the work on the timming and the water pump if they have not been changed when you where in there last it very well could be the hole nine yards of it well i hope that help you bear001 auto mechanic