86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

oil filter question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil filter question

are teh 08922-02011 and teh 90915-yzzg1 filter the same filter? done some searching but cant find out if they are interchangable
Old 12-03-2006, 09:46 AM

they would be going on a 95 22re
Old 12-03-2006, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 943kgt
are teh 08922-02011 and teh 90915-yzzg1 filter the same filter? done some searching but cant find out if they are interchangable
The YZZ numbers are the US made ones. All toyotas use ther same thread pitch, but they have 2 different size base or orings on the bottom. Small and large. All trucks use the large. All V6 cars use the large. Everything else is small. Now of all the large base, there is a tall and a short. ie V6 vs V8. There is also a short and long on small base filters.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I use a FL-1A filter on my 22re's, it holds more oil with this filter.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by 4runnerx3
I use a FL-1A filter on my 22re's, it holds more oil with this filter.
Stupid idea. I went into full details on the oil filter poll. Unless you understand fully whats in a filter (read bypass) then dont do it! If you really feel you need the extra 1/8th quart of oil, then just fill your 22RE with 5 qts instead of the 4.5, you'll get much more capacity that way and wont starve you engine of precious oil pressure during cold start up like you do now when trying to fill the larger filter. Keep in mind, you dont have oil pressure until the filter is full and no oil pressure is the only time you will get bearing wear. Does your engine block on your 22RE have a bypass valve? No, reason, Toyotas install them into the filter, Ford have them in the block, so they dont install them intot he filter. When you run a FL-1A or the Fram PH8A, you are removing the bypass. If you start it up on a cold moring, you can really starve you engine of oil or worse yet, pop the filter can like a bomb and lose all your oil and destroy the engine. I'm not saying run out and buy Toyota filter. just run a filter made for Toyota. Even the aftermarket ones wil have a bypas svalve built into it. Now I'm not speaking of a drain back valve, 2 different animals and all oil filter now days seem to have drain backs, even the Ford ones.

Last edited by toyota_mdt_tech; 12-03-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:38 AM

uhhmmm just looked at the side of teh box and it has all teh engine codes, they are teh exact same on both boxes...so i think i answered my question
Old 12-03-2006, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
firstoff the antidrainback is to keep the oil in the filter to prevent drystarts, and to keep crap from draining back into the pan. second the bypass is used on most filters including motorcraft (ford). The bypass is for when the filter element is clogged, or the oil is too thick to go through it. the vacuum pressure opens the seal on the valve, and oil comes through unfiltered. Motorcraft filters are actually just purolators (or atleast they were a couple years back). purolators work just fine on this engine, although you're probably better off getting the correct size filter, because toyota designed the filter the capacity it was for a reason (may not be a good reason, but who knows).
Old 12-03-2006, 10:46 AM

An 1/8th of a quart added to 4.5 will make 5??? anyway, a friend of mine uses a fj40 filter and it crossed referenced in the book as the same/replacement as the FL-1A and the fram, which I never buy fram. I used the FL-1A because my boat uses the same filter.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:59 AM

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
firstoff the antidrainback is to keep the oil in the filter to prevent drystarts, and to keep crap from draining back into the pan. second the bypass is used on most filters including motorcraft (ford). The bypass is for when the filter element is clogged, or the oil is too thick to go through it. the vacuum pressure opens the seal on the valve, and oil comes through unfiltered.
Huh? I wasnt speaking of the drain back (re read the enite post, I even mentioned this specifically because I knew someone would be confused like you were) and if you think the little rubber flap seals 100%, your wrong. The oil WILL bleed off, and with a larger filter, longer dry starts. Second, the bypass was not used to oil an engine when the filter became plugged. Its designed was to allow oil to bypass it on cold start ups to prevent engine starvation from the oil being too think to pass through the filter from the cool oil, and the pressure behind the restriction could be enough to pop the filter can. The fact it would open up when a filter gets too plugged is true, but if your filter is that plugged, the engine will fail elsewhere lone before then. Please dont try to second guess me!
Old 12-03-2006, 11:07 AM

An 1/8th of a quart added to 4.5 will make 5??? anyway, a friend of mine uses a fj40 filter and it crossed referenced in the book as the same/replacement as the FL-1A and the fram, which I never buy fram. I used the FL-1A because my boat uses the same filter.
OK, seems we have a whole bunch of misunderstanding here. First off, if you run a FL-1A and its stuffed full of paper filter, how much extra capacity do you really think it adds? I mentioned about 1/8th of a quart. (ever fill a dry filter with oil, how much did it hold? Not much, but now we are only taking abou the difference) and second, I said you will get more (if its the tough guy extra capacity you like while) by just refilling your 22RE with 5 qts instead of 4.5 like it calls for. How you came up with 4.5 plus 1/8 = 5 qts is beyond me. (please actually read my post) Now its possible Ford has started to add the bypass into their filters because they no longer install them into the blocks of some engines and certainly, an engine and a filter with a bypass wont hurt. But many Fords have the bypass in the engine block, right where the filter screws on.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:28 AM

I don't know how much a toyota filter holds, but you can pour almost a whole quart of oil in a FL-1A and screw it on a 302 because the mount points downward. The worst start up is after changing the oil, waiting for the filter to fill up, but only takes a second or two for the oil light to turn off. And the bypass you mentioned, I need to check on the Landcruiser filter that crossed to the FL-1A in the book. It should have the bypass. I was trying to keep things simple, buying a less variety of filters.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
OK, seems we have a whole bunch of misunderstanding here. First off, if you run a FL-1A and its stuffed full of paper filter, how much extra capacity do you really think it adds? I mentioned about 1/8th of a quart. (ever fill a dry filter with oil, how much did it hold? Not much, but now we are only taking abou the difference) and second, I said you will get more (if its the tough guy extra capacity you like while) by just refilling your 22RE with 5 qts instead of 4.5 like it calls for. How you came up with 4.5 plus 1/8 = 5 qts is beyond me. (please actually read my post) Now its possible Ford has started to add the bypass into their filters because they no longer install them into the blocks of some engines and certainly, an engine and a filter with a bypass wont hurt. But many Fords have the bypass in the engine block, right where the filter screws on.
the fl-1a has both a bypass, and antidrainback valve. motorcraft filters are manufactured by purolator (as i said in my first post), and should work just fine. Most filters are either paper, paper with extra fibers, or some other sort of synthetic mesh.

Yes it is true that the anti drainback valves do leak. I did not say that they dont. They do hold fairly well as long as they're well constructed (eg. not fram).
Old 12-03-2006, 01:31 PM

I don't know how much a toyota filter holds, but you can pour almost a whole quart of oil in a FL-1A and screw it on a 302 because the mount points downward. The worst start up is after changing the oil, waiting for the filter to fill up, but only takes a second or two for the oil light to turn off. And the bypass you mentioned, I need to check on the Landcruiser filter that crossed to the FL-1A in the book. It should have the bypass. I was trying to keep things simple, buying a less variety of filters.
Well, if it has the bypass, you should be OK. As for the larger Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota has superceeded those ot the smaller ones. So if you really want to keep it simple, but a bunch of Toyota filters for your rig and boat!
Old 12-03-2006, 06:09 PM

oil filter???

so i guess using a remote oil filter system is a bad thing , (your taking the fun out of adding stuff to my pickem--up ), changing oil is meessy it leaks down the block i was going to get a system to have the oil filter vertical as to just drop it straight down??? i was going to mount it under the batt and hose it to the block has any one experienced any problems -or have done a remote mount for the filter? i wont do it if i stand a chance to ruin my motor-especially when i get my new motor (maybe from lce definitely not from DOA )
Old 12-03-2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Just Learning
so i guess using a remote oil filter system is a bad thing , (your taking the fun out of adding stuff to my pickem--up )
"Just learning, we dont want to take the fun out of modifying your rig. Get the remote mount and have fun! Carful wiht the line routing and use quality lines. I'd hate to see a guy toast a good motor! ANd from what I read, yes, you do not want a DOA engine!
Old 12-04-2006, 06:47 PM

toy tech

the oil hoses will be hydraulic type with the hydraulic crimp---heavy duty
Old 12-06-2006, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by 943kgt
I'm not sure if the 08922-02011 is the same as 90915-yzzd01 but i went to buy an oil filter from one dealership a month later went to buy another one from a different dealership what got me thinking was that both say "toyota genuine parts" they are the same size but that's about all they have in common, one is black the other is dark blue, the holes in them are different and one has a piece of sheet metal in it( looks like it), one came with plastic on the surface and a washer for the plug and the other one did not, one is made in the USA and the other one is made in Philipines I think, one is 90915-YZZG1 and the other one is 90915-YZZD01 they are so different and yet they are for the same engine, Does anybody know what's up with that? Which one is the better?