86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Non Body Lift Raise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non Body Lift Raise?

What is the most economical way to lift a 1994Runner..No Body lifts I made that mistake ONCE, I am a recovering Dodge dakota driver.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try a search for the key words: lift, tbar, torsion bar, downey, ball joint spacer, cruiser lift, cruiser coil, 2nd gen. Try different combinations of the words and you'll find all the info you need. Look in this main forum area and the off road tech forum.

Oh, and mild BLs are considered ok here. 1" - 2" is generally OK, 3" is pushing it and you need a good reason otherwise people make comments. Get body lifts from Roger Brown.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

What model and year is your vehicle? If it's something late model you could look into spacers. Do a search for lifts on the site. You'll come up with tons of stuff.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Banned

nothing wrong with bodylifts... they dont give you better offroad performance though other than allowing bigger tires.....

it has tbars in the fornt right? get balljoint spacers and crank the tbars.. leaves in the back? shackles
Old 02-10-2005, 05:36 PM

1994 Runner Beater

Sorry this is a 94 Runner..I would like some lift.. My Brother in law drives a raised Just Empty Every Pocket and although I can wheel right with him even after his 2K lift I would like a little hieght plus my butt is saggy.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamsobaco
butt is saggy.
Ah, another useful search term.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:59 PM

All of the 2nd gens are proper ladies and in time the butt is gonna feel the effect of gravity and lower just a bit

I have a 2in BL kit from Rodger Brown and it is great. Put on eibach springs to help restore that youthful and perky back side, it ride smooth and quite on the DD stuff and great for the off road follies as well. Mind I am not a hard core rock crawler, just some mud and snow about once or twice a month and it is all good.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:01 PM

look at my sig...

and look at my web page...
Old 02-10-2005, 09:07 PM

if you dont mind.... how come you dont like body lifts?? would u mind sharing your experience?.. i think i HAVE to get one for my tundra.. since there is no real suspension lift out there over 3" except for TC's 4.5" lift.. but kinda pricey.. so if you dont mind sharing.. please... THANKS!! NO PRESSURE!!!! just so that everyone here on Yotatech can learn tooooooo!.. hehe.. NO PRESSURE!! =) JKJK
Old 02-12-2005, 05:51 AM

Body lifts are Ill

I just have never had good luck with Body Lifts. THey look very poser and well I am a freak and there is always body alignment issues. The body lift does very little and in many cases nothing for your ground clearance. I know body lifts can be useful in conjunction with Sus lifts for that extra wheel clearance but as for plain stand alone body lifts...not for me. I grew up in Big Bear and you could always pick out the "Flat landers" trucks becuase they had 4-6" spacer lifts by PA and had the ugly gap and the running board in the stock location.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Like anything, body lifts can be done poorly or done well. I used to think the same, then I tried a 1" body lift and after a few years moved up to 3" on my '85. I've had no problems with body alignment, off-road stability seems to be nearly the same.

http://www.4Crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...tml#Aesthetics

One of the best things I did to the truck, as it opened up a whole range of possibilities for other improvements. Allowed room to raise the drivetrain and gas tank (http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ft/index.shtml) for better breakover angle, made room for longer shocks front and rear, allowed for easier mounting of rock sliders (http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/RockSliderZ.shtml) and bumpers (http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/RearBumper.shtml) and these things do increase clearance in terms of approach and departure angle and side clearance for negotiating around and over rocks:

But yes, the only way to gain ground clearance under the axles is with taller tires. But taller tires project upward just as much higher as they project downward, so you need more room in the wheel well for them to compress up into as you gain below in ground clearance. I like to combine a mild suspension lift and a mild body lift to gain the room for the tires to stuff into:

Last edited by 4Crawler; 02-12-2005 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Like anything, body lifts can be done poorly or done well. I used to think the same, then I tried a 1" body lift and after a few years moved up to 3" on my '85. I've had no problems with body alignment, off-road stability seems to be nearly the same.

http://www.4Crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...tml#Aesthetics

One of the best things I did to the truck, as it opened up a whole range of possibilities for other improvements. Allowed room to raise the drivetrain and gas tank (http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ft/index.shtml) for better breakover angle, made room for longer shocks front and rear, allowed for easier mounting of rock sliders (http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/RockSliderZ.shtml) and bumpers (http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/RearBumper.shtml) and these things do increase clearance in terms of approach and departure angle and side clearance for negotiating around and over rocks:

But yes, the only way to gain ground clearance under the axles is with taller tires. But taller tires project upward just as much higher as they project downward, so you need more room in the wheel well for them to compress up into as you gain below in ground clearance. I like to combine a mild suspension lift and a mild body lift to gain the room for the tires to stuff into:
But to be completely fair, you DO manufacture and sell body lifts, so it's not too surprising that you would advocate their use. Don't get me wrong, as far as body lifts go, yours seem to be the best quality, I have steered several folks to you, but there's a heck of a lot of true horror stories out there surrounding body lifts.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

That is true, I'm not saying that you have to do a body lift or that that is the only way to do a lift. But if you choose to lift your truck, there is nothing wrong with a properly done body lift as part of the overall lift. A body lift has the least impact on center of gravity since it is only raising the relatively light body. A suspension lift is always a good idea (as long as it increases wheel travel and articulation), but if you find that does not give you enough lift to fit the tires you want to run, then you can either cut out the fenders for more clearance, install a taller suspension lift or add a mild body lift. As I mention on my page (http://www.4Crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#Lifts):

"Lift as much as needed, but as little as possible"

For example, on a Tacoma or 3rd gen 4Runner, if a 2-3" spacer or coil-over lift is not enough, the next step up is a full 6" lift. If you only need another 1" of lift to fit a tire, why go to the trouble and expense of a 3-4" taller lift? If the 2-3" lift is enough for your needs, then I would not recommend a body lift either. I have probably talked as many folks into shorter body lifts or no lift at all as I have into getting a body lift. I even supply kits to reduce a body lift or even to remove it completely (just shipped one yesterday to a Tacoma owner who had purchased a truck with a very poorly installed body lift from the PO):

http://www.4Crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#FAQ11

Here's a good writeup on a '94 pickup that has a mild body and suspension lift that does extremely well off-road, but it is a real sleeper, hardly appears to be modified:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/hottoy/west/

Last edited by 4Crawler; 02-12-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

I can't argue with that logic since it's the same thing I say. I have a fundamental disagreement with those who think that a body lift is a suitable, cheap alternative to suspension lift, but if it is a minimal body lift and is used to achieve the next tire size up, I don't have a big problem with it. Where I have to scratch my head is when folks use body lifts over 2" or it is used as a substitute for suspension lift.

A truck with body lift only == poseur.
A truck with a 3" suspension and 3" body == just get the 6" suspension.
A truck with a 3" spacer and a 1-2" body to fit 33's I can deal with.

I know a truck with a 6" TM, coilovers cranked 3" AND a 3" body lift. It makes 35's look small, but anything larger rubs. Why do that!?!? hehehe It would have been just fine without the body lift and wouldn't have had any of the body lift drawbacks. But this guy just HAD to have it all

Last edited by WATRD; 02-12-2005 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Totally agreed, I usually steer folks away from the 3" lifts. And I refuse to do anything higher, although I once did some 4" blocks for a special application where a guy was swapping cabs on his truck and some of the body mounts were too low. He needed the extra height to fit the cab over the engine, drivetrain and frame.

Do the suspension lift to suite your needs and then if you need a little more lift, a body lift is a good option. I would for sure choose a body lift of X" over running blocks of X" on a leaf-sprung truck. Of on an IFS truck, if you are tearing up CV boots/joints from too much lift in front, turn down the lift an inch and add a 1" body lift. Your CVs will thank you, the suspension will work better and you'll have the same tire clearance.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 02-12-2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:58 AM

Where can i get a 4 in lift kit for a 94 toyota truck. I don't want no body lift.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by justatoyota
Where can i get a 4 in lift kit for a 94 toyota truck. I don't want no body lift.
Superlift, Rancho, Trailmaster, etc. all make the 4" bracket lift. Try http://www.4wheelparts.com/ or silimar 4x4 outlet.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Teamsobaco
What is the most economical way to lift a 1994Runner..No Body lifts I made that mistake ONCE, I am a recovering Dodge dakota driver.
thats probably the fault of the dakota and quality of BL that went into it. nothing wrong with sticking in a quality BL into your runner to clear bigger tires. go with a 4crawler lift. just dont do anything rediculous like over 2" and you'll be fine. less is better even. go 1.5" and be done with it.