Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No brake lights! (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 05:10 AM
WFO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No brake lights! (kinda long)

I was sitting at a stop light yesterday and someone pulled up next to me and said I had no brake lights! Im sure they were working yesterday morning because I got pulled over and the cop didnt mention anything about my brake lights. Im sure he would've mentioned something.

Anyway my first thought was the switch. I just did the manual trans conversion and used the switch from the junkyard. So I put my old one back on and still no lights. Checked the "stop" fuse and its good. Checked the lights thinking maybe both of them were blown. They were good. Hooked a test light to the fuse and hit the brakes. I have power at the fuse.

I was trying to find a wiring diagram of where exactly the wires go. But found nothing. I even checked the FSM thats floating around here.

I guess Im gonna look under the truck and see if I can trace the wires from the tail lights.

Is there any kind of relay or other electrical part in the brake light system?

Anyone else have this problem? Im not very electricaly inclined.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The brake lights are a very simple circuit, you have a fuse, a switch on the pedal, 2 lights and some wires. Power goes from the battery through the fuse, in one side of the switch, out the other side to the lights and then to ground. Go down the circuit from the battery and check for power at each point. A test light will work. Check the out side of the fuse, the in side of the switch, the out side of the switch while the pedal is being pressed and the lights.
The wiring on my 93 went down one side of the truck under the edge of the carpet by the doors. On mine it was green/white.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:17 AM
WFO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly! Green/white. I ran a wire from the switch to the wire under the carpet by the drivers door and they worked. Not sure where the break/short is but its somewhere after the switch and before where the wire is ran under the carpet.

Thanks for the reply