Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newbie replaced Head Gasket, Truck wont start...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 04:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
even a weak spark should do something though. You could test that theory without replacing the ignitor and/or coil by shrinking the plug gap down to say .025".
Old 07-06-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I could give that a try, TOMORROW lol
Old 07-06-2008, 05:04 PM

Pull the exhaust loose.i have the same year 22re. My yota would not start,new engines etc.My new cat converter broke apart and restricted the air flow.I tried everything.No start. It was the cat with 100 miles on it.As abecedarin says" never overlook the obivious"
Old 07-06-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
@iselloil- he's already tried that with no change.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:11 PM

Sorry, lots of post on this one.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:12 PM

did you checking the spark plug wires? You probably did but I'm just throwing this out there.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:13 AM

yea, I already tried pulling the exhaust loose, the spark plug wires are correct, Heck, the cap is labeled lol, kinda "idiot proof" i really think the coil is weak, it passed the resistance tests, but, I know what heat does to electrical components, and was not aware how hot this thing had gotten, or how many times untill a few days ago...
Old 07-07-2008, 10:18 AM

Did you put in a new rotor buton? The GMs wont transfer spark after a certain amount of wear. Just a thought.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:31 AM

Well, you know you're getting fuel, (Some) compression, and air. Weak spark will definitely make an engine not fire. If you gap the plugs down some and it still doesn't fire up, I would still swap in a coil and dizzy.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:37 AM

OK guys, I'm in a really pissy mood, and I don't mean to take it out on anyone on this forum, however.

Someone on this forum really needs to start reading all of the posts before making a post, I understand that all of you are trying to help, and I really appreciate that, honestly I do.

Like I said, I am in a very very pissy mood, and I don't mean to take it out on you guys.

OK, that being said,

I am going to gap the plugs to .025 after i get done making a few phone calls, once I do that, I will definitely let you guys know if it worked, or even helped at all.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 07-07-2008, 12:10 PM

Sorry for trying to help
Old 07-07-2008, 01:33 PM

I apologize man, I really do. Like I said, I've been in a pissy mood all day, and I wasn't trying to take it out on you. I just needed to vent, and honestly, It helped a lot, lol

I really hope I didn't "ruffle any feathers" here, you guys are awesome, every one of you, I mean it!!!

If ya'll ever need any help with any kind of issue with a Honda or Acura, please don't hesitate to ask me, My AIM is StillAHondaFrea, and I use the same address for my mail, StillAHondaFrea@aol.com Just don't flood it with junk lol

OK, now that that's out of the way, I dropped the gap down to .025 like someone suggested, and I also made sure the battery was fully charged, AND Had the "booster" going, and......

The lil truck TRIED to start, for about 3 seconds, lol

so, being as frustrated as I've been all day, I just kept on it, and turned it over for a good 2 or 3 minutes straight, LMAO

Well, all that did was drain the battery and flood the plugs, lol

I pulled the plugs, dropped the gap on another set down to .025, and tried it again, nothing.

SO, I have the charger going right now, and as soon as George gets here, we're headed to the zone to pick up a NEW coil, and, we'll see what happens............

I'll post and let you guys know what happens.

Thanks again, to EVERYONE for all your help and suggestions,
Tim

Oh, I did notice something odd, after I cranked on the poor lil truck for so long, I noticed that the exhaust manifold was "warm" which led me to believe that the plugs were firing, and the fuel was igniting, but it wouldn't start, weird.....
Old 07-07-2008, 02:10 PM

OK guys, I got tired of waiting on George, so I ran to the zone and got the coil myself, As soon as the battery is done charging, Imma try and fire this bish up, I am gonna put the new plugs in, gapped to spec .031 and keep my fingers crossed.....
Old 07-07-2008, 04:14 PM

Well, the warm exhaust manifold could just be from the heat generated by cranking the starter for 2-3 minutes .

OR it could be incomplete combustion caused by weak spark.

As for people replying without reading: it happens. It's a pretty big thread for this forum, it has a fair number of posts, and it's easy to glaze over something. No harm on your venting (not to me anyway), but realize that everyone here is just trying to help. You should see some of the huge 1000+ post threads on places like Pirate4x4, it gets almost unmanageable with 80 people asking the same questions.

I understand the frustration, I'm tracking down a misfire on my 4runner, and I've tried everything that I can easily try. At this point I just want to douse the damn thing in gasoline and let the fire fix it!

Last edited by Crawdad; 07-07-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 AM

OK guys, I replaced the coil, NOTHING

Even moved the cam timing over one tooth, tried to start, Promising?

NO!

Moved the cam gear one more tooth, TRIED to start, cranked on that bish till the starter started smoking, LMAO
NOTHING!

It tried to start, but that was about it, I dunno what to do anymore, I am really starting to think (and George agrees)

That the engine if ed!

He's considering getting another engine, or even buying a new truck lol

I don't care either way, I just want to get paid for what I did, LMAO
Old 07-08-2008, 04:28 AM

If you try to start the engine,and cover the Throttle body with your hand,is the engine sucking air?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:21 AM

Here's the upside: when you get it running, at least mostly everything will be new .
Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 AM

Crawdad,can you go by the goldenrule and have lunch for me?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:20 PM

iselloil: No, actually, that's one thing I haven't tried yet, Thanks, I'll try that in a lil bit, I'm gonna run another compression test before I put the timing back to "the marks" and then imma go the other way, one tooth, then another if it still doesn't start.

Crawdad: I agree whole heartedly lol, I was feelin kinda down on myself cause here I am, ASE certified, been doing this stuff for years, and a lil Toyota truck is whoopin my A$$ and mom comes along and does the mom thing and points out the positive side, which was pretty much the same thing you said, "Don't get upset, look at it this way, If worse comes to worse, and y'all have to replace the engine, at least you know all of the ignition parts are new"

I do have another question for all of you guys though...

Have you ever heard or read anything about the "Jap" models having different timing setups?

I only ask because George swore up and down he heard some "kid" that worked at Toyota saying to someone else "Now remember, that's the jap model, the timing has to be off by 1 tooth on the crank, don't use the marks" or something like that.....

Ironically enough, Just to humor him, i played with the timing, on the cam, but still, and I'll be damned... It actually helped, a little.....

Thanks for everything guys, seriously,
Tim
Old 07-08-2008, 03:29 PM

dont bite my head off lol....took me a while to read all the posts and cannot remember if you have done this or not....once you have set the timing to TDC take the #1 plug out and shine a flashlight to see if you can see the piston head...im also an ASE master certified tech and have done this and found it to be the problem so its worth a check if you havent done it so far. Mike

Quick Reply: Newbie replaced Head Gasket, Truck wont start...