Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New truck - What's wrong with it!!

Old 11-22-2008, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New truck - What's wrong with it!!

Just got myself an 89 4runner, 5spd with 215k km for $1000.
Bought it from the original owner and I know it was well maintained, but it sat in his yard for the last year. He told me it would need a new battery because it wasn't holding a charge (told me later it was under warranty still, so not that old). I bought a new battery and it started the truck up but after a few days I tried again and it wouldn't start.
So something is drainning it or it's not getting charged right?
I disconnected the negative terminal and hooked up my multimeter after searching through some other post. It's drawing 9 ma. I pulled each fuse and checked it, the only one that lowered it was EFI and it went to 6ma.
Not enough that it should matter right?
With some of the fuses out, the battery drew more power (over 250ma)
Is that normal?

After doing all this I did get the truck started and disconnected the neg. terminal and it still ran fine. This means the alternater is good doesn't it?
I went inside for a bit and when I come out it wouldn't start again.
I get the light and everything on and it sounds like she wants to go, but nothing.
I'm also reading more then ten volts from the battery. I can't say exactly because my meter has a ten scale and then a 250, but ten gets maxed out.
That should be enough right?

I tinkered lots on my motorbike, but don't know much about trucks.
nothing like buying a 20 year old ride to figure it out. I'm sure this fourm will help keep some of my sanity and I thank you in advance.
What else should I look for?
Old 11-22-2008, 10:14 AM

I'd check and clean the terminals, the battery cables, clean the cable terminal ends. Check the connections to/at the alt and the starter. Try tapping the side of the starter a couple of times with a hammer and try to start it. Starter could going out.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:02 AM

maybe the starter
Old 11-22-2008, 11:35 AM

Likely the alternator or starter. Check the alternator first.

http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

That link will walk you though everything, or you can take it into autozone to be tested.

Good Luck
Old 11-23-2008, 07:32 PM

check starter, alt, and grounds
Old 11-23-2008, 07:42 PM

this dosent seem likley in your case since you said after tinkering with it it started again. but my ignition coil and ignitor went out about 300 miles ago. it was in the middle of driving and the truck just died. couldnt get it started wouldnt turn over and had to get it towed. so just in case check the spark
Old 11-24-2008, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like using the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle when it comes to automotive maintance.

Likely it's something simple that's overlooked.

I would check for any aftermarket wiring lights etc maybe there is a short somewhere.

Also some other things that get overlooked are the connections on the battery clean all connections including mounts to frame and the motor.

If you have a bad ground somewhere like on the alternator and it doesn't make good contact it won't charge your battery.

Check to make sure your voltage goes up when the vehicle is running at the battery terminals so you know your alternator is charging the battery.

What's the voltage measured at the battery when the vehicle is running?
It should be be some where between 13-14V if it's less change the alternator.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what is the voltage at the battery with the engine off and with it running?
also, can you describe a little better what you mean by "it won't start"? does it crank? just a click?

Last edited by abecedarian; 11-24-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:04 PM

It's cranking good.
and it started fine during the last couple of days, so I took it in to get safeties and they told me it wouldn't start.
The connections look good.
Would it just click if the starter was going, or does it start playing games like that?
Also, should I have two brakers at the fuse panel?
There's only one there.
thanks
Old 11-24-2008, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by parkkicks
this dosent seem likley in your case since you said after tinkering with it it started again. but my ignition coil and ignitor went out about 300 miles ago. it was in the middle of driving and the truck just died. couldnt get it started wouldnt turn over and had to get it towed. so just in case check the spark
happen to me too!! check for spark!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:11 AM

Somebody suggested a feul pump.
they said when it's warm it will have trouble, but start when it's cold when the feul pump is going. Does that make sense?
That's definitely happened a few times, but I'm sure it hasn't started when it was cold a few times too.
How do I check the feul pump or do you just have to replace it?
Old 11-26-2008, 08:32 AM

troubleshoot the stuff these guys are suggesting eliminate that before you start off thinking it could be something else. you could change your mind 100 times about what is wrong and never actually stop at something long enough to realize it broken. believe me. ill admit to doing it myself, you dont want it to be something so you convince yourself its not that. if it was the pump and it wasnt working when warmed up it would still fire a bit on a warm start before it sucked the lines dry. sounds like ignition related to me if it wont start but turns over everytime.

if its not turning over everytime you turn the key and the battery is charged then i would say your starter.

since it seems to be turning over ok according to your post. it sounds like ignition system related. ie... plugs, wires, grounds, distributor.... so on so forth.

Last edited by newbie93pickup; 11-26-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:45 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
This might be far out, but once you get it running and it idles down, is your throttlle cable set right so that it doesnt shut off? I drove mine home from where I bought it, then took it out that night and getting off an exit ramp the whole thing just shut off when I had the clutch fully engaged. It wouldnt do it when I started it, but once it idles down it wouldnt hold idle and died. So, I adjust the two nuts (no pun intended), and it would stay running.

Last edited by 89whitetoyota; 11-26-2008 at 09:46 AM.