Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New (to me) 1990 4RUnner 3.0 v-6 questions....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New (to me) 1990 4RUnner 3.0 v-6 questions....

Hello,

I have been a longtime owner of many Toyota's, but this is my first V-6 and first auto tranny.... Currently also own an 88 Celica All-Trac, sold my 88 4Runner last year. Anyway, recently purchased on impulse a really clean 1990 4Runner, 133K miles on it. Head gaskets done by toyota early on and timing belts have been done at 115K. Now to the problems...

Starts hard. I am used to the old 4Runner with 22RE starting almost instantly. This one will crank....fire....die. a few times then start. Even when it is warm it will crank a bit then when it does start it seems to just catch...hesitate a little then run strong. It does start on first try when warm though, just cranks for a few revolutions.

Once running it runs fine, seems to rev well. Pings going up my grade though. I ran some Seafoam through the intake and have premium in it. Still pings. Checked timing today and it was slightly advanced (just past the 10 degree mark) turned it back to 10 today will see if it makes any difference. Made no difference in how it starts. Have not had it down the hill and back yet. There is carbon in the tailpipe (running rich?)

I'm going to pull the plugs tomorrow. It is really cold here right now so am not too interested in doing major work on it, but wanted some starting points... What else might cause pinging? It isn't major, but it is annoying. Fuel economy is about 15 mpg. City driving mostly, and pulling a major hill each day. 800 feet to about 2300 feet.

Overall, I like the truck. The 3.0 makes enough power for me if it didn't ping and started easier I would be happy. So O2 sensor? EGR? Cleaning intake? Not sure where to start. Previous owner had records for a tuneup in the recent past, but his wife mainly drove it on short trips. Truck is minty clean, almost feel guilty taking it in and out of my road which is a mixture of ice and deep mud this time of year. I'll post a picture later tonight, have to find a free image hosting site.

Any help much appreciated.

- Dave

Wenatchee Washington
Old 02-18-2006, 07:07 PM

Here is a picture
Old 02-18-2006, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice ride. Make sure all your normal tune up electricals are good -- cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, etc. A small amount of pinging is probably not hurting your mileage, much. Make sure the AFM door is well lubricated and working properly,, and that the TPS is adjusted and working properly as well.

My 92 3.0 has a very slight ping and all the electricals were changed about 5,000 miles ago. I think part of that is due to slop in the internal components ( distributor gear, etc) in a motor that has 183,000 miles on it. Atmospheric conditions have something to do with pinging and mileage, as well. Fuel with ethanol as an additive yeilds lower mileage when it's burned.

Just start eliminating possibilities.

Mike in AR
Old 02-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Dave, what a coincidence! I also have a '90 4Runner that has pinging issues. I bought it with about 133k on it too. And I used to have an 88 all-trac. My headgaskets and timing belt were done around 115 too. lol

Anyways, have you checked your truck for CEL codes? You can do this by jumping a couple of spots in your diagnostics port with a paper clip. The decal on your hood should say what ports to jump. Once it is jumped, you will see some lights flashing on your instrument cluster. Count the number of flashes your CEL does. For example, if it has 5 flashes, a pause, then 2 flashes, that is a code 52. Very easy. You can then do a search on this forum for what your code(s) mean. You can do the same for the tranny too by counting the flashes on your OD light. If you just get a bunch of flashing, then you don't have any codes. You probably allready know about this though, since you've owned other Toyotas.

I ran Seafoam too, and it didn't help my pinging a whole lot. Drives me nuts. Do all the stuff Mike listed above. That's good advice. My timing used to be at 12* but I cranked it down to 10* and that seemed to help me a bit. I'm going to run some colder spark plugs, but haven't gotten around to installing them. Probably do that sometime this week. I hear that helps pinging issues a bit. You could check your EGR too.

First thing I would do though, is try to get some codes. I'm going to try the colder plugs, and I'll get back with you on that.

Daniel

Last edited by DH6twinotter; 02-18-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you set the timing with the Diagnostic jumpers jumped?
Old 02-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

You may want to check your cold start injector to make sure it isn't clogged.

Troy
Old 02-19-2006, 07:56 AM

I used a paperclip to jumper the diagnostic block. Is there any light that comes on the dash when you do this? Is this the same operation to get any codes? I didn't notice any flashing lights etc... Set the timing to 10 DBTDC.

What is the easiest way to check the cold start injector? I've been running Techrolon stuff through the tank hoping to clean the injectors. Thinking that might be why it starts hard. Once running it seems to be getting plenty of gas and runs strong even when cold. The idle seems about right. 850 RPMS or so when warm in park.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

If you didn't notice any flashing lights then something is not working properly. Even if there were no codes, you should still get a steady blinking light.

The best way to check the cold start injector is to pull it out and clean it. The carbon buildup may not be easily cleaned with just additives in your gas. But be careful. I managed to break off one of the 2 bolts that the CSI threads into the plenum. Luckily it came out with a bolt extractor.

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 02-19-2006 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:59 AM

I may not have noticed the flashing light... I was just trying to start it then go back to the front and set the timing. When you jumper the diagnostic, you just go back in and turn the key on right? That is how the Celica is, which by the way is throwing a CEL code for knock sensor, but that is a whole other project....

I tood the 4Runner down the big hill and back, no pinging! But geez it has premium gas in it and is now set to 10 DBTDC, I would like to just run regular in it. Will fill it with regular next time.

Just did a second round of Seafoam....Through a vacuum line in the intake system. Let it sit for 15 minutes then fired it up. Lots of smoke for a bit. Hoping to get rid of some of the carbon which might have built up from it mainly doing very short in town trips.

We'll see. Will pull the plugs another day when it is a little warmer....

Thanks for all the suggestions. I need to get a book for this car, so I know where things are a little better. I worked on the 22RE and 22R, but this one is a bit different. Never really messed with fuel injection before as far as adjusting it. Other than slight idle adjustment on an 87 MR2. Usually EFI just plain works, that is what is nice about it....
Old 02-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

You can also pull out the CSI and turn the engine over while it is cold and see if it sprays gas.

My guess is it isn't working correctly.

Have fun with the 3.0. It's a PITA to work on.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AgRunner06

Have fun with the 3.0. It's a PITA to work on.
AMEN to THAT!

Here's a link to a 1993 FSM that will help get you started until you can get a hard copy. You can download all the PDF's and use them that way, instead of trying to buy a hard copy. This manual covers most all models, pickup and 4Runner from 88 thru 95,, both 22xx and 3vze.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

Mike in AR
Old 02-20-2006, 12:28 PM

Where is the cold start injector located?

Jack
Old 02-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

Jack, what engine do you have? On the 3.0 V6, the cold start injector is located on the side of the intake plenum.

From the link Mike posted:
3.0 V6:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...88coldstar.pdf
2.4 I4:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...29coldstar.pdf

On the V6, it is conected to the only hard line going to the intake plenum.

Daniel

Last edited by DH6twinotter; 02-20-2006 at 12:39 PM.