Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New Head, New Head Gasket-Still Dumping Coolant and White Smoke. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 07:34 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by toyodabro

i was referring to the passages going in and out of the lower intake for the coolant. If there was a compromise in the gasket-would I really start sucking in that much coolant into the intake?

... I’m thinking it could be that flimsy ITM gasket that’s between the lower intake mani and the head. Thoughts?
You need to read this again it seems.
Maybe the part where I mentioned the intake needs to be flat also..
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Yes! Look at the pinhole in my head gasket. Now think about the size of that water passage. The passage in the HG totals under an inch (4×0.25), the water jacket opening at the intake is something like 1.5×2" for a total of seven inchs

This is worth doing just to be certain it wasn't residual water in the exhaust. However if it didn't clear up and got worse over the run time it's not likely that simple.. As a benefit it will point out other leaks you might of overlooked (besides the internal one and the egr coolant passage.).
Old 02-13-2018, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to read this again it seems.
Maybe the part where I mentioned the intake needs to be flat also..
Lordy me I’m sorry for the poor reading comprehension there. I glossed over it too quick initially. Foolish of me. Makes perfect sense now.

Oye, again-my bad!
Old 02-13-2018, 08:08 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
I'm done trying to help go back in and replace everything
Old 02-13-2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
I’m sorry if I did something to offend? I am insanely thankful for everyone’s help. I know I owe the forum something in return for sure.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:20 PM

Don't bother with a cooling system pressure test to find out where you are loosing coolant or even if you are. just pull it apart and replace the timing cover, the head and all of the gaskets, maybe even the block, that should fix it
Old 02-13-2018, 08:22 PM

Don't bother with a cooling system pressure test to find out where you are loosing coolant or even if you are. just pull it apart and replace the timing cover, the head and all of the gaskets, maybe even the block, that should fix it
Thanks I’ll definitely consider that. In the mean time, I’ll do the pressure test you recommended earlier. Again, I feel like I offended you so I’m sorry for that.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:27 PM

I suggested it twice and you continued down the "what gasket should I replace" road. Wouldn't it be nice if you found out that it holds pressure and your only problem was a ton of coolant in the exhaust from the past head gasket failure? if it doesn't hold pressure you will still be able to track down where the coolant is going.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:29 PM

I suggested it twice and you continued down the "what gasket should I replace" road. Wouldn't it be nice if you found out that it holds pressure and your only problem was a ton of coolant in the exhaust from the past head gasket failure? if it doesn't hold pressure you will still be able to track down where the coolant is going.
Im sorry man I was having a back and forth with another user on the thread and neglected to address your comment. My bad. I need to get a hold of a pressure tester now. Rentable I’m sure. Again, I didn’t mean to ignore ya. You’re totally right, that would be nice to know.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:58 PM

I’m sorry if I did something to offend? I am insanely thankful for everyone’s help. I know I owe the forum something in return for sure.
bwahaha, sorry it's past midnight and I should very much quit posting! What's the country song "six o:clock somewhere?"

I don't think the coolant system pressure is a typical "rent a tool".

You can always disconnect the exhaust system at the intermediate pipe (just aft of the exhaust manifold). This will rule out residues.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:01 AM

yeh itl be the intake gasket. shame u have to do that again tho. but good that your efforts on the HG arent completely in vane!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:06 PM

bwahaha, sorry it's past midnight and I should very much quit posting! What's the country song "six o:clock somewhere?"

I don't think the coolant system pressure is a typical "rent a tool".

You can always disconnect the exhaust system at the intermediate pipe (just aft of the exhaust manifold). This will rule out residues.
Dammit. I was hoping that I could cruise by O'Reilly and grab that. Amazon has them for like $80. I wonder if I could purchase, use once, then return (hate to be that guy...).

The no coolant in the oil was a good sign. I am wondering however, am I going to be able to get that stupid EGR plate off the back of the head while it is still installed on the block? I am REALLY trying to avoid removing the head again.

Thank you EVERYONE who has posted on here. This is a great community and everyone has been an excellent help. I am 90% sure it's going to be that intake gasket so I will redo that this weekend and let you guys know how it goes. I will also post before and after shots as well as a write-up on some things that I learned. Cheers!
Old 02-14-2018, 04:19 PM

maybe if you post your location one of the other members here will be close by and offer the use of a pressure tester. I doubt you are in Alaska and even then it's a huge state, but I have one I'd loan out or even come along to offer help. good luck.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:21 PM

maybe if you post your location one of the other members here will be close by and offer the use of a pressure tester. I doubt you are in Alaska and even then it's a huge state, but I have one I'd loan out or even come along to offer help. good luck.
Lake County, California my man. Good point, I didn’t think about that. I wonder if anyone is around!?
Old 02-15-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I got new head studs and torqued them in sequence to 65 pounds. I am thinking that when I cleaned the deck, I ˟˟˟˟ed it up with that Roloc disk. I figured a square was a bad choice.
Hold up a minute-check this out on LC’s page. What’s the difference between a head bolt and a head stud?

http://www.lcengineering.com/LCTechP...ages/eng2.html

They’ve got the bolts at 62 and the studs at 90?
So which did you install? Studs or bolts?

Coolant pressure check aside, I would also do a leakdown check on your cylinders.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by toy_tek

Coolant pressure check aside, I would also do a leakdown check on your cylinders.
I did brand new bolts torqued to 62 per the LC Engineering site's page on torque specs. Everyone here is saying 65, however. What I'm really wondering right now is if I'm going to have to yank the head off again to get to that god forsaken plate on the back. I need to put FIPG around it and redo the gasket. I'm really hoping the intake coolant passage that has been suggested here is the issue.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by toy_tek

Roommate actually has a leak-down tester so that's yuuuuge right there.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:23 PM

Update for anyone who is still interested in having me get to the bottom of this!

I did everything recommended on this thread thread for the most part. Took the manifold off and sealed up the coolant orifices going to and from the head. Checked everything to make sure it was OK.

I did not do a coolant pressure test nor a leak down test so that may be next on my list of to-do’s. Here’s where I’m at...

It still dumps out white smoke however I noticed today it seems to do it more when it heats up. The smoke started coming out substantially more. It was a noticeable change, not gradual. Almost as if the thermostat opening at something to do with it. Idk. I’m going to pull plugs tomorrow and check those out as well as coolant and oil. Last time when I took everything apart, however-coolant was totally crystal and oil looked normal. Thoughts team?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:46 PM

Update for anyone who is still interested in having me get to the bottom of this!

I did everything recommended on this thread thread for the most part. Took the manifold off and sealed up the coolant orifices going to and from the head. Checked everything to make sure it was OK.

I did not do a coolant pressure test nor a leak down test so that may be next on my list of to-do’s. Here’s where I’m at...

You have a two page long thread. You need to give a break down of what was done and what was not from the suggestions.

You really need to check the coolant system for leaks, both cold and hot (it is obviously leaking hot and you need to find out where, is it a crack block, in the head, or a seal somewhere from warpage or a bad gasket). The leak down and pressure tests should show this..

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 03-26-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:50 PM

You have a two page long thread. You need to give a break down of what was
My bad brother. Head gasket went out. Confirmed by visual inspection of plug, cylinder, coolant, and oil upon tear down. Did a full replacement with all the parts (HG, new head bolts, water pump, gasket set, plugs). Put it all back together and it still dumped smoke.

Was advised to do numerous standard tests for this type of issue. We also advised to remove intake manifold and FIPG the coolant orifices going in and out of the head and manifold. Did that and also did the actual valve lash adjustment (something I forgot to do during my first attempt at this).

Im going to run a compression, leak down, and coolant test tomorrow to see what’s next. Also thinking I may just need to drive it around for a bit to get the excess smoke out of the cat but who knows.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:50 PM

Also did the timing chain and guides. Thought that was worth mentioning.

Quick Reply: New Head, New Head Gasket-Still Dumping Coolant and White Smoke. HELP!!