86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New head gasket, smoke and water

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New head gasket, smoke and water

I just got done replacing the head gasket on my 22RE. LCE carbon gasket, head milled, full new exhaust from header to exhaust tip and a few other things replaced. I was impressed with having it start on the first attempt. I let it idle while I was adjusting the distributor to see smoke filling the garage.

I shut it down to inspect it, didnt find anything wrong that was apparent. started it up again and it only begins to smoke after its been on for about 15-20 seconds. The smoke is grey, (white kinda blue?) But it doesnt smell like burn oil or radiator fluid. When you look at the exhaust tip there is liquid dripping out a bit. Its brownish and cloudy looks like rusty water. The radiator fluid is the neon green kind.

So Im confused as to what it could be. obviously something is wrong but Im not sure what the problem could be. Some of my guesses would be; 1)The exhaust machining/preserving oil is burning off 2) the machine shop damaged one of the valve stem seals. 3) There a coolant line and a vacuum line are back wards.

Im tracing down the vacuum coolant lines as we speak, what do you think it could be, things I can check without taking the head off again and no boroscope. I would really like to not take the head off if i could
Old 08-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Starting one up for the first time is kind of scary. You have oil, grease and other coatings burning off. Some of it could of been sealant melting and in general everything just getting hot for the first time. How long did you let it run? If it was only for a minute or so, I wouldnt be to concerned.

I would suggest making sure all of your fluids are where they should be and then try 5 minutes then 10 minutes and so on til you are sure there is or isnt a problem. Keep an ey on your heat guages and look for leaks. At this point I feel you are just experincing paint, sealant, oil,grease, water in tail pipe and such burning off. How long did the truck sit while rebuilding?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:32 PM

It sat for about 6 weeks while i found the time and parts for the build. it spent about 4 of the weeks with the head off covered with painters tarp. The liquid in the pipe is what concerned me the most since there shouldnt be any liquid left anywhere
Old 08-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Edit: Oops on my part....I see in the 1st post where you replaced the entire exhaust system so this will not apply, but I'll leave it anyhow:

That rusty water could be what was trapped in the cat and muffler from when the HG blew. You may need to let it run long enough to dry everything out.

I've seen on here where is was several to 10+ minutes before the old coolant dried out. Terrys87 gives good advice on monitoring the start-up.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-04-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:49 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
gasoline + oxygen = CO2 + H2O. All internal combustion engines emit water vapor, and if the exhaust is cold some will condense into liquid. You hardly every see it because once the exhaust is warm it stays in vapor phase. Dripping out a bit on startup is okay. The rust in the water could be anything.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
gasoline + oxygen = CO2 + H2O. All internal combustion engines emit water vapor, and if the exhaust is cold some will condense into liquid. You hardly every see it because once the exhaust is warm it stays in vapor phase. Dripping out a bit on startup is okay. The rust in the water could be anything.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:55 PM

ok, No cat on it or any of the old exhaust, didnt see any backwards lines. but Im going to start it up tomorrow and let her run for a while, see what happens. Ill let you all know how it goes
Old 08-05-2012, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Good luck on the start up. I would allow for smoke,odors, and fumes for at least 20 total minutes of run time,whether you do it a little at a time or all at once. If all goes well and you dont have any leaks, you are a better man then I am. No matter how hard I try, I always have some kind of leak and most will say the same thing, so dont get to worried if you have one. Usually something just needs retightened. Usually nothing major.

Thanks rworegon.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, every time I have done major engine work, it will smoke quite a bit at first, especially if you replaced the exhaust with new. Let it run a bit if the oil and coolant both look good and take it on a little road test watching the oil and temp gauges and it should clear up.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the support to go with my first guess. I let the truck run for 10 minuets. after about a minute it started to smoke pretty bad but after letting it heat up the exhaust the smoke started to slow down. then it would come back but a lot less as the heat built up. by the end of the run it was hardly noticeable. Ill drive the truck to the dump tomorrow to drop off all the parts I no longer need.